Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions for a good TNT decoder box

Any suggestions for a good TNT decoder box

Old Mar 12th 2012, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any suggestions for a good TNT decoder box

Picked up the new Samsung Lcd tv earlier today. Superb! So thanks to all who provided feedback.
Regrets? Yes, that I didn't do it earlier!
Talking to the delivery/installation guy who was also taking away the old plasma, he asked how many years we'd had it. Told him it was bought when we returned to France almost 7 years ago, and I was sad to see it go, as (when it worked) the picture was very good. He said many plasma tv's start to loose their picture after 5 or 6 years, so we'd done well, and repairs at that age are just not cost-effective.
Can't see myself bothering with the new 3D feature though, although 2 pairs of active shutter glasses came with it. Also, in addition to the regular remote control, was a nifty free extra - a Galaxy S2 lookalike - touchscreen remote control, which even produces a duel tv image. So if one suddenly gets caught short and has to rush to the khazi just before that penalty kick, there's no fear of missing any goals. In fact thinking about it, that will now be a great place to hide and watch tv whilst the mother-in-law is here.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 12:48 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
....which even produces a duel tv image.
Glad to hear you're happy with your new TV. What size is the one you bought (I'm in the market this summer)? Price?

I assume the duel TV was D'Artangan vs Aremis, you being in France and all.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 6:37 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Picked up the new Samsung Lcd tv earlier today. Superb! So thanks to all who provided feedback.
Regrets? Yes, that I didn't do it earlier!
Talking to the delivery/installation guy who was also taking away the old plasma, he asked how many years we'd had it. Told him it was bought when we returned to France almost 7 years ago, and I was sad to see it go, as (when it worked) the picture was very good. He said many plasma tv's start to loose their picture after 5 or 6 years, so we'd done well, and repairs at that age are just not cost-effective.
Can't see myself bothering with the new 3D feature though, although 2 pairs of active shutter glasses came with it. Also, in addition to the regular remote control, was a nifty free extra - a Galaxy S2 lookalike - touchscreen remote control, which even produces a duel tv image. So if one suddenly gets caught short and has to rush to the khazi just before that penalty kick, there's no fear of missing any goals. In fact thinking about it, that will now be a great place to hide and watch tv whilst the mother-in-law is here.
Did you get one of the nice new ones with the silver bezel, Picture Frame like.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Glad to hear you're happy with your new TV. What size is the one you bought (I'm in the market this summer)? Price?

I assume the duel TV was D'Artangan vs Aremis, you being in France and all.
Touché! Of course that should have read dual. I hang my head with shame...

The one I wanted was the UE46D7000, top rated by What Hi-Fi Son/Cinema. However the normally more expensive UE46D8000 was offered at a very special price, as any time now that model will be replaced by a similar one with added webcam - and more expensive!
Old Mar 13th 2012, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Did you get one of the nice new ones with the silver bezel, Picture Frame like.
Yep, that's the one.
As I said I can't see 3D being watched much, if at all. However the Smart wi-fi set-up is already proving very useful for web surfing. Brilliant!
Old Mar 13th 2012, 2:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Touché! Of course that should have read dual. I hang my head with shame...

The one I wanted was the UE46D7000, top rated by What Hi-Fi Son/Cinema. However the normally more expensive UE46D8000 was offered at a very special price, as any time now that model will be replaced by a similar one with added webcam - and more expensive!
Cheers. I've just read a review and I'm jealous already. How much did you get it for?
Old Mar 13th 2012, 5:23 pm

Yep, that's the one.
As I said I can't see 3D being watched much, if at all. However the Smart wi-fi set-up is already proving very useful for web surfing. Brilliant!
Nice I'm getting the UE55D8000 to replace a series 6 samsung although I'm getting a sound bar as well as I found the sound quality a little disappointing on the series 6 model.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Cheers. I've just read a review and I'm jealous already. How much did you get it for?
NovoC,
You have a PM.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Nice I'm getting the UE55D8000 to replace a series 6 samsung although I'm getting a sound bar as well as I found the sound quality a little disappointing on the series 6 model.
Looks good, excellent larger screen. Believe tech specs are identical to the UE46D8000.
Good detailed review HERE.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Looks good, excellent larger screen. Believe tech specs are identical to the UE46D8000.
Good detailed review HERE.
The same tv just a different screen size 55 vs 46.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MacLover

I have looked at prices on both Amazon's and they are definitely cheaper (and more future proof) in the UK.
Hi,
I chose a set at random (admittedly not that recent) and looked at it on both Amazons (Samsung - UE55D6530 - TV LCD 55" (140 cm) - LED - HD TV 1080p - 3D Ready - 400 Hz - 4 HDMI - USB) and the price in UK pounds was practically the same as the price in euros which, unless my maths is wrong, makes the UK price 300 euros more than the French price.
Where am I going wrong?
PB
Old Mar 18th 2012, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Peabrain
Hi,
I chose a set at random (admittedly not that recent) and looked at it on both Amazons (Samsung - UE55D6530 - TV LCD 55" (140 cm) - LED - HD TV 1080p - 3D Ready - 400 Hz - 4 HDMI - USB) and the price in UK pounds was practically the same as the price in euros which, unless my maths is wrong, makes the UK price 300 euros more than the French price.
Where am I going wrong?
PB
Personally with the way the French discuss things there is no rush here to upgrade the system. They had consultations and pretty much decided to chat about it in the future.

Buying a tv in the uk is a waste of time IMHO, as nothing is future proof.