British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Alphabetical order for surnames in France? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/alphabetical-order-surnames-france-896437/)

Novocastrian May 7th 2017 1:22 pm

Alphabetical order for surnames in France?

The OH is busy putting hundreds of french language books on to bookshelves in alphabetical order of surname. Question: does e.g. Jean d'Ormesson start with a d or an O for library purposes?

dmu May 7th 2017 2:03 pm

Re: Alphabetical order for surnames in France?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12246879)
The OH is busy putting hundreds of french language books on to bookshelves in alphabetical order of surname. Question: does e.g. Jean d'Ormesson start with a d or an O for library purposes?

OH isn't as organised as your OH and had to think hard about that. We came to the conclusion that the pertinent letter is O, if only because, in a French lending library or bookshop, there would be thousands of books starting with de, de la, des, d', du... intermingling alphatically with the other "common" D surnames.
But we may be wrong!;)

Novocastrian May 7th 2017 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 12246892)
OH isn't as organised as your OH and had to think hard about that. We came to the conclusion that the pertinent letter is O, if only because, in a French lending library or bookshop, there would be thousands of books starting with de, de la, des, d', du... intermingling alphatically with the other "common" D surnames.
But we may be wrong!;)

Sounds right to me (us). Thanks.

Tweedpipe May 9th 2017 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12246879)

I've just come from the library (where I usually spend several hrs/month) and confirm that DMU's answer was right on the mark. Should be filed under 'O'.
Your choice of book particularly interests me as I'm a very keen follower of Jean d'Ormesson, and never miss the opportunity to listen to him whenever he appears on a talk show or other interviews. A fascinating character!

Novocastrian May 9th 2017 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe (Post 12248711)
I've just come from the library (where I usually spend several hrs/month) and confirm that DMU's answer was right on the mark. Should be filed under 'O'.
Your choice of book particularly interests me as I'm a very keen follower of Jean d'Ormesson, and never miss the opportunity to listen to him whenever he appears on a talk show or other interviews. A fascinating character!

Hmm. We have seven of his works:

Et toi mon coeur pourquoi bats-tu
Une fete en larmes
Voyez comme on danse
Casimir mene la grande vie
La gloire de lEmpire
C'etait bien
and Au plaisir de Dieu.

sdale100 Sep 18th 2017 10:33 am

You may be interested to know that Jean de La Fontaine is cllassified under "L"

La Fontaine, Jean de
:confused:

Novocastrian Sep 18th 2017 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by sdale100 (Post 12340482)
You may be interested to know that Jean de La Fontaine is cllassified under "L"

La Fontaine, Jean de
:confused:

Thank you. I have scoured the bookshelves and Jean de La Fontaine is unrepresented.

(It's the wife who has OCD, not me).