Reload this Page >

Advice on Moving to France post Brexit

Advice on Moving to France post Brexit

Old Jul 5th 2017, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Charlitesweb is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Advice on Moving to France post Brexit

Hi,
I have dual nationalities - American and British, and have lived in the USA for over 20 years.
I would like to explore moving to France in a couple of years. I would by then most likely be retired (I am a registered nurse) but might open a B&B, while I play as an artist.
We are thinking of the South of France somewhere ( I do speak French)
What is the situation with Brexit - will people still be able to move to the Continent - especially France ?
My husband is American. How would that affect him? Would being married to me make any difference?
Can someone provide me with resources on buying a house in France?
Thanks so much
Old Jul 5th 2017, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Moving to France post Brexit

Welcome to the forum.
Unfortunately unless someone on here has a very good crystal ball, all we can do is guess what the position with regard to freedom of movement for Brits will be post Brexit. Theresa May herself doesn't seem to know whether she wants it or not. And even if she does decide she wants it, she might not want to pay whatever price is asked.
Personally, in your shoes I would either wait until things become a bit clearer, or plan on the basis that your UK passport will count for nothing. Then if in fact it is some use, it'll be a bonus.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much.......... Moving to Europe as a retired person - not a burden on the economy might make a difference ? Oui/non? whether American or British? I know... what a clusterbumble this whole thing has turned out to be without much foresight...... :-)
Old Jul 5th 2017, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charlitesweb
Thanks so much.......... Moving to Europe as a retired person - not a burden on the economy might make a difference ? Oui/non? whether American or British? I know... what a clusterbumble this whole thing has turned out to be without much foresight...... :-)
At present, moving to Europe as a retired American is more involved than moving to Europe as a retired Brit, simply because as a non-EU citizen you need to get a visa and a carte de séjour etc. If Britain exits the EEA as well as the EU, and if no special agreement is made, logically UK passport holders will also need visas and carte de séjours. That's why I think you have to prepare yourself to jump through the hoops, because there's no guarantee a UK passport will give you any privileges in Europe after Brexit. If in the event it does, so much the better. But what you don't want to do is buy a house and then find you can't live in it beyond a few months a year!

I suggest your first stop should be the French consulate in your state (I imagine they have a website), to find out about applying for visas as retirees - what visa would you apply for, what are the income requirements, would you be allowed to run a B&B and perform, and anything else you need to know. Then you'll know your fallback position if Brits come out of Brexit with no rights in Europe over and above the rights of other non-EU citizens.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 10:34 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You will certainly be able to move to France after Brexit. The question is, how easy will it be? That's not something that anyone can tell you at the moment. At the moment both you and your husband can move anywhere in the EU/EEA under freedom of movement rules so moving to France before April 2019 would be a good idea as any deal is likely to feature grandfathered rights for existing residents.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 7:23 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You will certainly be able to move to France after Brexit. The question is, how easy will it be? That's not something that anyone can tell you at the moment. At the moment both you and your husband can move anywhere in the EU/EEA under freedom of movement rules so moving to France before April 2019 would be a good idea as any deal is likely to feature grandfathered rights for existing residents.
...except the UK unless the OP meets the financial requirements to sponsor her US husband.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Advice on Moving to France post Brexit

I knew a USC from California who moved to France when he retired.
He had a Carte de Sejour (residence) and a Carte Vitale (healthcare card) and I think that his Californian drivers license was accepted in France where licenses from some other States are not.
As suggested above, I would try the USC route first with the UK route as fallback.
Being married or being PACSd is a big advantage in France because non-married partners have less rights than married partners especially for inheritance tax etc
I also know another American couple who rent an apartment in France for 12 months but only live there for just under 6 months to avoid being considered tax resident in France.
If you become resident in France then you would have to complete a French tax return each year in addition to your US tax returns.
HTH
Old Jul 6th 2017, 8:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
...except the UK unless the OP meets the financial requirements to sponsor her US husband.
Point taken but that wouldn't be EEA freedom of movement though unless pursing the Surinder Singh route which doesn't apply in the OP's case.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 9:06 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Point taken but that wouldn't be EEA freedom of movement though unless pursing the Surinder Singh route which doesn't apply in the OP's case.
Thank you. The rest is weasel words.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Thank you. The rest is weasel words.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Reeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond reputeReeders has a reputation beyond repute

My advice to anyone considering a move to another country in retirement always starts the same way. NEVER buy anything until you have lived there for at least 1 and preferably 2 years. It's easy to buy, not so easy to sell if things don't work out as expected.

As for Brexit, why even consider the unknown affect that would have. Deal with what is a known, moving to France as an American retiree. That you can get specific answers to today that will get you there for SURE if you qualify.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=ameri...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old Jul 11th 2017, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Rent, do not buy and keep your options open. if your French is rusty, get to work on it !
Old Aug 1st 2018, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Question Re: Advice on Moving to France post Brexit

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
At present, moving to Europe as a retired American is more involved than moving to Europe as a retired Brit, simply because as a non-EU citizen you need to get a visa and a carte de séjour etc. If Britain exits the EEA as well as the EU, and if no special agreement is made, logically UK passport holders will also need visas and carte de séjours. That's why I think you have to prepare yourself to jump through the hoops, because there's no guarantee a UK passport will give you any privileges in Europe after Brexit. If in the event it does, so much the better. But what you don't want to do is buy a house and then find you can't live in it beyond a few months a year!

I suggest your first stop should be the French consulate in your state (I imagine they have a website), to find out about applying for visas as retirees - what visa would you apply for, what are the income requirements, would you be allowed to run a B&B and perform, and anything else you need to know. Then you'll know your fallback position if Brits come out of Brexit with no rights in Europe over and above the rights of other non-EU citizens.
Hi - I am a little late getting bac to you. I have both Birtish and American passports but have been living in the USA and my funds would come from the USA... Any ideas
Old Aug 1st 2018, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Charlitesweb
Hi - I am a little late getting bac to you. I have both Birtish and American passports but have been living in the USA and my funds would come from the USA... Any ideas
Would you be moving before or after Brexit? No-one has the crystal ball to tell you what could be, only what the current rules are for EU citizens (and their spouses) and non-EU citizens.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

HI - Thanks for you quick response. I plan to move next year as soon as I sell my house in California. I plan to pay cash for a house, My funds will be coming from the states. I know Brexit is still up in the air and very iffy - no-one really knows. I think there is an understanding for people already living there - but for new comers as Brits I don't know. I know a few Americans who live there now and I am not sure how they went about it. I will not be a burden to the government but will work at my BNB and art business - and hopefully bring more tourists in to France. But for the time being I am an EU citizen as well. Trying to make the move next Spring.
THanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.