Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

About an hour from Toulouse - TEFL?

About an hour from Toulouse - TEFL?

Old Mar 28th 2015, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

Annie752 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile About an hour from Toulouse - TEFL?

Hi there

I'm considering moving to a relatively sparsely populated area about an hours drive from Toulouse and was wondering if anyone is aware of opportunities teaching English as a foreign language. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 5:30 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About an hour from Toulouse - TEFL?

Originally Posted by Annie752
Hi there

I'm considering moving to a relatively sparsely populated area about an hours drive from Toulouse and was wondering if anyone is aware of opportunities teaching English as a foreign language. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Whereabouts? I know the region well we have another member that is a TEFL in Toulouse. If you are in that area Toulouse is probably your best hope for employment but be warned jobs are pretty slim at the moment.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum!
Dennerlymum was the member that CS referred to.
THIS previous thread may give some insight.
Just to echo what has already been said, jobs are very scarce at the moment and also in great demand - with no shortage of bilingual and even trilingual candidates desperate to find places.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

yes essentially Toulouse would be your base for work - but as a recruiter I would hesitate to take someone on so far away as being able to make money would be difficult with the travel costs...

the other option is to look for online work or telephone work but that is often poorly paid..

good luck
Old Apr 1st 2015, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Bonnet is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in that area...probably quite close to DM without knowing it!

I tried to find informal work teaching English to children outside school hours...not much happened. I certainly couldn't live on it.

French schools don't usually take British English teachers on unless you have had a year's equivalency training at your own expense in a uni...yours would be Toulouse. The state can then post you anywhere in the country.

I looked at doing a TEFL and if you look on websites as to where qualified people go, it is to places like China and Africa, not Europe.

In cities there is sometimes a possibility to work for a large trading company to do their translating but uness you want to travel into Toulouse, the rest if that region is pretty empty.

Sorry to be so depressing but it is no fun coming and then struggling.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 12:53 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonnet
I tried to find informal work teaching English to children outside school hours...not much happened. I certainly couldn't live on it.

Sorry to be so depressing but it is no fun coming and then struggling.
+1
I used to coach Collègiens/Lycéens. They were my daughters' school pals and it was only possible to do so as I knew what the teachers had explained too quickly before passing on to something else, and I knew French grammatical terms in order to explain the English Grammar in terms that they understood. You need to know what the teachers (and Exams) expect of their pupils and not try to teach them something outside the norm. I would never have accepted to coach if I didn't have my own children in the same classes. And I didn't need the money, I already had a full-time job at home. Bear in mind that there's usually no English coaching needed during the school holidays (about 16 weeks)....
TEFL to adults is a different matter, they aren't interested in getting good marks and are there all year. But from what I hear, the supply exceeds the demand and if the OP has to drive for an hour, a lot of whatever's earned would be spent on petrol, parking, etc...., not to mention healthcare côtisations as a Self-Employed.