Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

**Astra Satellite Change Questions**

**Astra Satellite Change Questions**

Old Feb 12th 2014, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: satellite reception Limoges area

Hi

two links below that have

explained the whole situation in simple terms, including what size dish you will need

http://www.a516digital.com/2014/02/special-what-changed-in-european.html

and guide you through retuning with a sky box - go to website and the follow instructions below

http://elfknowsit.com/content/sky-channel-codes-updated-230313

Press Services
Press 4 SYSTEM SET UP
Press 4 ADD CHANNELS
Input the Frequency (using website above)
Press Yellow against the required channels to store (a tick will appear against the selected channels) and press Select.
To access these channels
Press Services
Navigate to Other Channels (the menu number will vary depending on software versions and receiver models)
Highlight the channels you want and press select.

Note that these channels may not have any now or next information.
You cannot record these channels on a Sky+ receiver.

By simply retuning we have some channels now on an 80cm dish - looking at the guide if we get a 1 - 1.1m dish with a good lnb then we should be ok again
Old Feb 12th 2014, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Imminent SAT Changes - what to do in NE France

Hi just posted a couple of good links on the other satellite post - may be useful - there are people in the gers getting uk tv
Old Feb 12th 2014, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: satellite reception Limoges area

Thank you dm. Now let me see if I can manage that!
Old Feb 13th 2014, 5:12 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

This is a very muddled up thread now that 3 threads have been merged into 1. The TV channels come and go now on my Sky box in the Var maybe because of fine tuning by Astra or maybe because of atmospherics. I have a 1 metre dish but I think a distant tree is just taking the edge off my signal. Time to get satman along methinks.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 9:40 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
This is a very muddled up thread now that 3 threads have been merged into 1. The TV channels come and go now on my Sky box in the Var maybe because of fine tuning by Astra or maybe because of atmospherics. I have a 1 metre dish but I think a distant tree is just taking the edge off my signal. Time to get satman along methinks.
There are lots of threads cropping up on the same subject which is why they have been merged, Did you install your dish yourself as getting it fine tuned would certainly pay dividends for strength and quality and with the Astra footprint tuning that is going on satellite installers in Europe are going to do well over the next few weeks.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 12:18 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
There are lots of threads cropping up on the same subject which is why they have been merged, Did you install your dish yourself as getting it fine tuned would certainly pay dividends for strength and quality and with the Astra footprint tuning that is going on satellite installers in Europe are going to do well over the next few weeks.
A pro set it up for me - it's a double LNB to give Sky and VisioSat. The Skybox has 90% strength and 90% quality but that doesn't seem to mean very much as it shows that for every channel.

Last edited by InVinoVeritas; Feb 13th 2014 at 12:37 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 5:39 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

A pro set it up for me - it's a double LNB to give Sky and VisioSat. The Skybox has 90% strength and 90% quality but that doesn't seem to mean very much as it shows that for every channel.
It's misleading on a Sky box as most of them base the signal strength on frequency 17778 which is for EPG data not channels you watch so that just says you can get the epg channel on the north beam well. I purchased my own digital meter which you can program transponder freq's into making getting optimum alignment settings spot on every time.

Last edited by Chatter Static; Feb 13th 2014 at 5:44 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 8:31 pm
Loving the mountains

howiet01 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's misleading on a Sky box as most of them base the signal strength on frequency 17778 which is for EPG data not channels you watch so that just says you can get the epg channel on the north beam well. I purchased my own digital meter which you can program transponder freq's into making getting optimum alignment settings spot on every time.
Interesting, which one did you buy? My signal strength is around 50% but my signal quality is around 30% so finding it hard to get the exact position.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 8:38 pm
Quien no sabe

Originally Posted by howiet01
Interesting, which one did you buy? My signal strength is around 50% but my signal quality is around 30% so finding it hard to get the exact position.
One of these

http://www.firststrikemeters.com/ind...strike-fs1-se/

Price will put a lot of folk off but for me it has paid for itself over and over.

Last edited by Chatter Static; Feb 13th 2014 at 8:41 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 8:42 pm
Quien no sabe

Default Re: **Astra Satellite Change Questions**

All the satellite related threads in the section have been merged and this will become a one stop gap for satellite issues that will no doubt crop up as Astra tune in more and cut folk off.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 8:46 pm
Loving the mountains

howiet01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Talking to some friends here in the Alps, a 1 metre dish seems to work ok. So frustrating not quite getting the signal quality!
Old Feb 13th 2014, 10:00 pm
Quien no sabe

Originally Posted by howiet01
Talking to some friends here in the Alps, a 1 metre dish seems to work ok. So frustrating not quite getting the signal quality!
I realignment would probably improve it no end ...
Old Feb 14th 2014, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi a friend of ours has just bought professional signal tester and explained the sky is a differnet satellite and so will show high - his shows 80% However with the new tester he was able to test signals from different satellites and found his BBC signal was down to 15%!!
Old Feb 15th 2014, 4:46 am
Hostage Negotiator

One of these

http://www.firststrikemeters.com/ind...strike-fs1-se/

Price will put a lot of folk off but for me it has paid for itself over and over.
My satman has something that looks very much like this but his comes up with the channel name which would make it easier for me to use. Does yours have that option? And how much are we talking here?

Anyhow I've decided to go for a new 130cm dish - just in case they tighten up the beam again in the future.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

My satman has something that looks very much like this but his comes up with the channel name which would make it easier for me to use. Does yours have that option? And how much are we talking here?

Anyhow I've decided to go for a new 130cm dish - just in case they tighten up the beam again in the future.
I'm a French tv and nothing-else person, but to assist in the above question, a quick Google shows the FS1-se at £200.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.