Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

**Astra Satellite Change Questions**

**Astra Satellite Change Questions**

Old Apr 4th 2013, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Barly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default **Astra Satellite Change Questions**

The BBC will change to Astra 2E and 2F. Is there a chance we'll be able to get the channels in Alsace in the North-East of France, or should we drop the idea of installing a dish right away?
Old Apr 4th 2013, 3:38 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: imminent sat changes - what to do in NE France

Originally Posted by Barly
The BBC will change to Astra 2E and 2F. Is there a chance we'll be able to get the channels in Alsace in the North-East of France, or should we drop the idea of installing a dish right away?
It should not be a problem but it's just outside the theoretical shown footprint but untill it goes on it's a case of ?

But dont buy a Mini Dish get a decent one installed.

Image borrowd from the Sat and PC Guy

This is the predicted Astra 2e UK spot beam.

Last edited by Chatter Static; Apr 4th 2013 at 3:41 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Yes, I saw that picture - that's what made me wonder. :-) I suppose I'll have to find a trustworthy local technician and ask with that map in my hand.

(And nothing new, I know, but it's a shame you can't get the regular BBC and ITV channels via cable or internet TV even if you're ready to pay, just with shaky proxies on your computer.)
Old Apr 4th 2013, 4:13 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest everyone just wait until the mid/end of summer before starting to worry about it, the satellite is due to be launched until JUNE !!

We all need to wait and see what the footprint turns out like, alot of this is speculation by people with vested interest in getting you to part with your money.

But until the thing is actually flying - and it may take a belly flop in an ocean - no one knows for definite.

but in the meantime I would have thought you would still be getting the FREESAT signals.

happy watching in the meantime

`
Old Apr 4th 2013, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Yes, we'll ask local technicians and wait until more is known about the new satellite. (We're moving in April or May, should survive the gap.)

Also, damn your sig. :-)
Old Apr 4th 2013, 4:50 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Domino, also Sat and PC Guy says wait until 2E is launched to see how the footprint works in reality.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'll still stick with my crystal radio and cat's whisker.......

Old Apr 4th 2013, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 4th 2013, 7:31 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
I think I'll still stick with my crystal radio and cat's whisker.......

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...radio_1922.png
oh dear, I fully understood the techy bits in that, and even worse did something similar myself but as I was only 14 I didn't have a briar pipe and although he had a couple of spares dad wouldn't let me use his
Old Apr 4th 2013, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
oh dear, I fully understood the techy bits in that, and even worse did something similar myself but as I was only 14 I didn't have a briar pipe and although he had a couple of spares dad wouldn't let me use his
Now I understand why you use that sig.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Now I understand why you use that sig.
yes, it was a big shock to me to find I didn't have a use for my #26 enamelled wire, cotton insulating sleeving, coil formers, etc etc
ISTR even carrying out experiments with a piece of wet string as an aerial - which worked if there was a good earth (made from a Jacobs biscuit tin)

Old Apr 6th 2013, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

The predicted footprint is highly theoretical and is what Astra would like to see, the reality will likely be very very different.

Certainly the changes which have taken place so far have had zero effect here on a standard UK Sky 'tractor saddle' dish.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Location: Gascogne (now unfortunatelly called the Gers) Midi Pyrenees France
ethix98 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We are addressing this issue in the Midi Pyrenees changing 60 ad 80 cm dishes for 100 cm and quality HD LNB.s

We will soon have a quantity of the used dishes and they should be appropriate for the North

Anyone interested ? please email me
Old Apr 14th 2013, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Don't panic!

We have had these predictions before and they have never really materialised.

We were assured that, here in Provence, we would never get a freesat picture about three years ago. We put in the largest allowed parabole and it works even on HD and 3D - if that sort of thing rocks your boat.

If and when it stops working then we'll get worried - French TV/any TV is fine for a little while but then one wants to start throwing things!

Give me the radio any day and that is available on-line
Old Apr 14th 2013, 5:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grannybunz
Give me the radio any day and that is available on-line
Have you discovered a device called Jambox? It's a bluetooth stand-alone loud speaker that has excellent sound quality but measures only about 4" by 2" by 1". (Excuse the lack of metric but I'm foreign).

We've been using ours all the time to listen to BBC radio via iPlayer and the laptop (Mac).

Check it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.