Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

** If you have any non-French bank accounts then read this **

** If you have any non-French bank accounts then read this **

Old Oct 2nd 2014, 2:40 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default ** If you have any non-French bank accounts then read this **

Having become conscious of the fog of blissful ignorance in which some French members find themselves, I thought it timely to post a thread reminding members about undeclared foreign bank accounts.

This is law in France, it applies to rich and poor alike and it applies to all residents whether of French or foreign nationality.

If you are resident in France and you have a bank account outside of France which you have not declared then you will be fined €1,500 fine per account for each year of non-declaration. It doesn’t matter how much is in the account or how long you have had it or where the money came from - this is the minimum you will pay.

From 1st January 2017, countries will begin exchanging details of bank accounts held in their jurisdiction with the countries in which the account holder is resident. This means that the French will find out what accounts you hold, details of balances, interest, dividends, and sales proceeds from financial assets. This will also include trusts and foundations.

The fine is increased to €10,000 per account for each year the host country of the account was on the OECD blacklist (includes Switzerland for example) as well as France’s own blacklist (includes Jersey for example).

If there was any income or capital which would have been taxed in France during the previous 10 years then corrected returns for income, capital gain and wealth tax (if relevant) for the last 10 years will need to be submitted.

In addition there will be a fine of 5% of the accounts balances per annum, compounded interest (at 0.4% per month) and penalties of between 15% and 30% going back up to 10 years for any under-declarations.

I don’t expect to win any karma for this post but on the other hand fore-warned is fore-armed.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ** If you have any non-French bank accounts then read this **

And there are certainly no brownie-points if you were friends with J Cahuzac......
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 3:40 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Except on my underwear
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you

It's ridiculous
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

we discovered that you must declare this when submitting our tax declaration to a very assiduous tax officer a couple of years back - as we have nothing in the uk it was very easy - I just tick the box yes and attach a statement to the declaration
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

If I can add one further point.
You have to declare them and re-declare them every year.
And it is not just bank accounts. I believe it is anywhere or anything that holds financial assets
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babyposer
Thank you

It's ridiculous
Does that comment refer to the underwear or the exchange details of bank accounts?
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Does that comment refer to the underwear or the exchange details of bank accounts?
"If you are resident in France and you have a bank account outside of France which you have not declared then you will be fined €1,500 fine per account for each year of non-declaration. It doesn’t matter how much is in the account or how long you have had it or where the money came from - this is the minimum you will pay."

I have 30£ on my english bank account
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babyposer
"If you are resident in France and you have a bank account outside of France which you have not declared then you will be fined €1,500 fine per account for each year of non-declaration. It doesn’t matter how much is in the account or how long you have had it or where the money came from - this is the minimum you will pay."

I have 30£ on my english bank account
I have a dormant account with about 17p in it, that I haven't used in years but keep open just in case I ever need another UK account. I declare it, to be on the safe side.
The wording used to be ambiguous, it talked about comptes that had been closed, used or 'ouverts' during the year - wasn't clear whether it meant accounts that you had 'opened' during the year, or accounts that had been opened in previous years and remained 'open' during the year in question. I believe that the current wording seems to say that it means every account that you have, whether you use it or not.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have to declare a house that you own in the UK too even if you don't rent it out and don't therefore receive rental income? If so how do you declare it?
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 3:00 pm
Hostage Negotiator

Originally Posted by nicktonight
Do you have to declare a house that you own in the UK too even if you don't rent it out and don't therefore receive rental income? If so how do you declare it?
That is whole other kettle of fish, nicktonight.

If your French is up to it, look up ISF on Google France. ISF is Impot de Solidarite sur la Fortune or in English Wealth Tax. You only have to declare your assets if you have over €1.3M (in 2014), previous years had different rules.

If you are in the position where you need to declare your assets then you have to declare ALL your worldwide assets and in some detail - however, currently there are no plans for a system by which countries will automatically share this information.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicktonight
No, not unless/until they ask - unless, as IVV says, you're in the supertax bracket.
They might ask if, for instance, you try to claim certain benefits.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Confusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond repute

I checked with my bank in the Uk and the answer was NO information would be given out.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 1:26 pm
Hostage Negotiator

Originally Posted by Confusedinfrance
I checked with my bank in the Uk and the answer was NO information would be given out.
Ask again but this time ask to speak to their tax compliance officer.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 8:18 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
From 1st January 2017, countries will begin exchanging details of bank accounts held in their jurisdiction with the countries in which the account holder is resident. This means that the French will find out what accounts you hold, details of balances, interest, dividends, and sales proceeds from financial assets. This will also include trusts and foundations.

Hi IVV the info I can find says that the countries will exchange info on interest earned in other countries, since this what is usually taxed. So, if you have a current account that earns no interest for you, I'm assuming that information won't be shared. Do you have any references that can clarify this? thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.