Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whats the crack with this weather like?

Whats the crack with this weather like?

Old Dec 22nd 2010, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Whats the crack with this weather like?

Ok lets not beat around the bush, the weather in brisbane is awful.
Rain rain rain rain rain.

If its caused by that la nina malarky, does anyone know when its supposed to piss off?

Serious answers only please

Jazzys
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats the crack with this weather like?

http://library.thinkquest.org/5818/elnino.html

I think it's actually quite pleasant. Not cold or hot and the kids can get out in their bathers and bounce on the trampoline when it's raining - good holiday fun. Bit sick of the mud and the fact that our washer/dryer was damaged in the move has been the only real down side.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jazzys
Ok lets not beat around the bush, the weather in brisbane is awful.
Rain rain rain rain rain.

If its caused by that la nina malarky, does anyone know when its supposed to piss off?

Serious answers only please

Jazzys
Apparently it's here till the New Year...
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseR
I can deal with that as long as i know its gunna sod off eventually

j
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 9:28 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Ni%C3%B1a

Looks like it could be up to 3 years!?

As I remember it it started raining in Brisbane in 2008 and doesn't seem to have stopped much since so maybe it'll stop soon! Not sure when La Nina officially started though.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bcworld
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Ni%C3%B1a

Looks like it could be up to 3 years!?
Don't even go there, i'm going to perth if it doesn't get its act together

J
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 9:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseR
At least.........

Have a read of bcworld's link above to the La Nina info and then follow the links from that to the Madden Julian Oscillation
Lots of factors involved, they all combine at once, and wham, serious weather as one thing influences the next. The rain that Brisbane is likely to get over the next few days is going to be brought in by the Tropical Low that's going to come in across far north Queensland. Even after that moves off though it'll be followed by the monsoon trough thats been dragged south by the Low - so it'll keep raining......maybe less down here, but plenty of it up north.

If you're really interested, have a browse throught he forums here - http://forum.weatherzone.com.au/
Although a lot of users are seriously skilled weatherpeople, a lot of them are very good at explaining stuff in layperson's terms as there are an equal number of users who don't know the technical terms and just want to know how weather "works". Well worth a look .
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kim67
http://library.thinkquest.org/5818/elnino.html

I think it's actually quite pleasant.
Me too.
Summer down here in the Illawarra has, so far, been like a really good English Summer. I'll take that everytime over a scorcher.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Although a lot of users are seriously skilled weatherpeople...
Stick hand out of door, if it comes back in wet, it's raining.

Where's the skill in that?
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 10:17 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Stick hand out of door, if it comes back in wet, it's raining.

Where's the skill in that?
Being able to use big words to describe how wet it is

I find it amazing how many people actually WANT the current Tropical low to become a cyclone - even a lot of those who have experienced them. I know I'm a disaster freak, but I don't sit here hoping for them to happen

Last edited by Pollyana; Dec 22nd 2010 at 10:29 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 10:31 pm
Home and Happy

Brisbane is expected to receive triple its monthly average rainfall with Christmas set to be a complete washout.

Residents will face more localised flooding this morning with the hide tide on the Brisbane River due to peak even higher than it did yesterday, just before 11am.
Brisbane City Council has warned CityCat and ferry services will again be affected as another monster tide inundates terminals and wharves in low-lying areas.
Brisbane is set to receive nearly three times its monthly rainfall average of 133 millimetres. The city has already received 326 millimetres, with 115 millimetres falling in the first five days of the month.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 10:33 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Being able to use big words to describe how wet it is

I find it amazing how many people actually WANT the current Tropical low to become a cyclone - even a lot of those who have experienced them. I know I'm a disaster freak, but I don't sit here hoping for them to happen
Well it is awfully hard to get the washing dry some days, a wee cyclone sorts that right out!
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 10:47 pm
Account Closed

Brisbane is expected to receive triple its monthly average rainfall with Christmas set to be a complete washout.

Residents will face more localised flooding this morning with the hide tide on the Brisbane River due to peak even higher than it did yesterday, just before 11am.
Brisbane City Council has warned CityCat and ferry services will again be affected as another monster tide inundates terminals and wharves in low-lying areas.
Brisbane is set to receive nearly three times its monthly rainfall average of 133 millimetres. The city has already received 326 millimetres, with 115 millimetres falling in the first five days of the month.
So far down in the Illawarra we have only had 112mm (still the wettest in a decade) and only two days of 30c+. Perfect
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Me too.
Summer down here in the Illawarra has, so far, been like a really good English Summer. I'll take that everytime over a scorcher.
I remember these cycles when I was a kid in North Western Australia. We loved it. A cyclone would come through, the rivers would all flood, we couldn't get to school and we could play in the water all day, ride our bikes through the mud. Fantastic fun.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 10:52 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Well it is awfully hard to get the washing dry some days, a wee cyclone sorts that right out!
Your underwear will be scattered across the city

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.