Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Weather , the week ahead !

Weather , the week ahead !

Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:58 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weather , the week ahead !

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
I know its the wet season.. but never seen this much rain ! ( Oz Wise )
It's because La Nina (the flipside to El Nino) is in full effect. This was all forecast months ago - monsoonal weather for the eastern seaboard. We are, in effect, getting the 'big wet' that the far north of the country gets every year.

You can track the strength of La Nina via the Southern Oscillation Index. To quote wikipedia:
Sustained negative values of the SOI often indicate El Niño episodes. These negative values are usually accompanied by sustained warming of the central and eastern tropical Pacific Ocean, a decrease in the strength of the Pacific Trade Winds, and a reduction in rainfall over eastern and northern Australia. The most recent strong El Niño was in 1997/98.

Positive values of the SOI are associated with stronger Pacific trade winds and warmer sea temperatures to the north of Australia, popularly known as a La Niña episode. Waters in the central and eastern tropical Pacific Ocean become cooler during this time. Together these give an increased probability that eastern and northern Australia will be wetter than normal.
And here's the current SOI reading (note the current high positive value and the direction that the red 'mean' line is headed)

This post has been brought to you by the National Geographic Channel.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:16 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

LOL that looks like my wifes, monthly Bio-rhythm !!!

I seem to recall, a fella about 6 months ago, warning about this... I took no notice !!! lol ( as per )
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:29 am
Account Closed

The OH is an unknown quantity at this point

POXY WEATHER

have you been playing that Trancesexual music perchance:curse:

Vic Meldrew:curse:
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:46 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

LOLOL No !!!

My Dogs have been singing to the tunes of the thunder tho.. distant rumblings...

No doubt council will be round tomoz following up on a whinging neighbour !!

Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:03 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Redlands dam went from 64% to 81% in a week. No chance of level 3 now.. 205mm yesterday direct on the dam.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:12 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't care, but our dam was at 98.5% before this ****ing deluge. We needed more rain like WA needs more south africans.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:18 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Oh great. We are coming over to Brisbane and Sydney in 3 weeks. Better bring my wellies..
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Oh great. We are coming over to Brisbane and Sydney in 3 weeks. Better bring my wellies..
Change your ticket and come now - I'm going to predict that you'll be free of La Nina in Qld for the next 3 weeks, asI'm off duty and off to the UK till the end of the month. Back on duty second week in Match so I'm predicting a cyclone for then
Worst bit of last nights torrential downpour was the fact that two of us were on duty, but my boss was trapped down the Gold Coast by a rising creek - I spent most of the night scarily aware that I was the only one around to activate the disaster system if the waeather got any worse. No pressure.......

I need a holiday, lead me to the airport and that cold dreariness of Heathrow at 5am

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 4th 2008 at 9:06 am.