Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Victoria, Worst Fire Day Since 1983

Victoria, Worst Fire Day Since 1983

Old Feb 6th 2009, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Victoria, Worst Fire Day Since 1983

I have had another since then......isn't the 'hic' snow pretty 'hic'

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I love posts made whilst under the influence
Old Feb 6th 2009, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
It seems OK here for the time being but it is picking up.

This is a straight copy out of something I said on another post - and much more applicable here:

The Premier almost seems to be talking it up. I think he just wants people to stay at home out of trouble and that as he knows it will get cooler next week, doesn't want people to relax too much on the last day of a hot week or 2.
I reckon he's on advisement from the Chief Fire Officer. Saw Russel Rees' briefing yesterday. They have never seen so many FDIs over 100 (50 is considered extreme). There are even some FDIs over 200 (I think he mentioned Ballarat).

Our group (14 brigades) has set up 2 strike teams which is a rare event and they have asked us to not call in more resources than necessary. This is the opposite to normal practice. The captains have been asked to asses what private fire fighting equipment (farmers with slip-ons) is available with the suggestion that these should be used to black out to free the main appliances.

The fire east of Packenham (Bunyip) is a major concern as it's threatening the power supply into Mellie. They're also worried that the winds may revert some of the contained fires (like Boolara) back to going.

Hopefully it'll pass like the Year2000 bug but everyone (including the old lags) was looking apprehensive in our briefing last night.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by seayork2002
I have had another since then......isn't the 'hic' snow pretty 'hic'
I'll have to look
Old Feb 6th 2009, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

When Aussies do fires they tend to outdo them all (not in a good way - but they don't do things by halves)
Old Feb 6th 2009, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon he's on advisement from the Chief Fire Officer. Saw Russel Rees' briefing yesterday. They have never seen so many FDIs over 100 (50 is considered extreme). There are even some FDIs over 200 (I think he mentioned Ballarat).

Our group (14 brigades) has set up 2 strike teams which is a rare event and they have asked us to not call in more resources than necessary. This is the opposite to normal practice. The captains have been asked to asses what private fire fighting equipment (farmers with slip-ons) is available with the suggestion that these should be used to black out to free the main appliances.

The fire east of Packenham (Bunyip) is a major concern as it's threatening the power supply into Mellie. They're also worried that the winds may revert some of the contained fires (like Boolara) back to going.

Hopefully it'll pass like the Year2000 bug but everyone (including the old lags) was looking apprehensive in our briefing last night.
That's an appliance from 10 out of 14 brigades.

Notice the way the current Bunyip fire does not mention how many resources are committed to it? As of at least yesterday..

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/incidents/...nt_summary.htm
Old Feb 6th 2009, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for doing what you do - we dont say that nearly enough to the RFBs!!!!

I didnt know that Ballarat was that extreme although it doesnt surprise me - we have rellies in the bush outside Ballarat so hope that all goes well down there. I am panicking about the son and his family in Northern East Gippsland - right in the middle of the bush.

Lets keep our fingers crossed for a "calm" day.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
That's an appliance from 10 out of 14 brigades.

Notice the way the current Bunyip fire does not mention how many resources are committed to it? As of at least yesterday..

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/incidents/...nt_summary.htm
Yep. Add in the 3 brigade response and it could be difficult if the poo hits the fan.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 10:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by quoll
Thanks for doing what you do - we dont say that nearly enough to the RFBs!!!!

I didnt know that Ballarat was that extreme although it doesnt surprise me - we have rellies in the bush outside Ballarat so hope that all goes well down there. I am panicking about the son and his family in Northern East Gippsland - right in the middle of the bush.

Lets keep our fingers crossed for a "calm" day.
You're welcome. I'm hoping for a calm day and a free lunch.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 2:36 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

46.5 c we we are at the moment
Old Feb 7th 2009, 2:36 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

44.9 in Melbourne as of 2pm. Pretty much the same here in the NE suburbs at 44.7.

I stepped outside earlier to hang out the washing and almost fried (and it was only for 10 minutes !)

Hats off to all of the firefighters and volunteers out there today fighting for peoples lives and properties.
Just thinking of what it must be like out in those conditions gives me the heebie jeebies....
Old Feb 7th 2009, 2:42 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
44.9 in Melbourne as of 2pm. Pretty much the same here in the NE suburbs at 44.7.
Actually, make that 46.0 and still climbing......
Attached Thumbnails Victoria, Worst Fire Day Since 1983-7-02-2009-2.48.27-pm.png  

Last edited by DownUnderPaddy; Feb 7th 2009 at 2:50 am.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 2:56 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

Actually, make that 46.0 and still climbing......
And the just updated article from The Age.
http://www.theage.com.au/national/ci...0207-80ai.html

That's official....Melbournes hottest day since the Bureau of Meteorology started keeping records 150 years ago.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 3:05 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

And the just updated article from The Age.
http://www.theage.com.au/national/ci...0207-80ai.html

That's official....Melbournes hottest day since the Bureau of Meteorology started keeping records 150 years ago.
Yep it's a tad warm
Old Feb 7th 2009, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Just been outside and its a scorcher sucks the moisture out of you. Poor birds just filled up the bird baths again but they get hot unfortunately

The fires are bad too and just hope we can hang on to power. Hume Freeway is closed as is Princes Highway.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Offically the hottest temperature recorded in Melbourne 46.4 and Avalon recorded the hottest temp ever in Victoria of 47.9. The skies are filled with smoke and dust, its crazy!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.