Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Victoria Fires, Coles Profits

Victoria Fires, Coles Profits

Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:21 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Victoria Fires, Coles Profits

Originally Posted by dpwilliams
If they paid them a fair price for their produce in the first place they wouldn't need to be donating to help the farmers. It's a cheap pubilicity stunt to help them look good trying to address a problem which they largely contributed to in the first place.
Thank you, someone at last who understands what I'm saying.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
Thank you, someone at last who understands what I'm saying.
Rubbish - the original thread is about the profits going to the fire victims, not the farmers. Are you saying that Coles and Woolies are responsible for the tragedy in Victoria as well?
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

dpwilliams is a jewel in the roughdpwilliams is a jewel in the roughdpwilliams is a jewel in the roughdpwilliams is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Rudi
Rubbish - the original thread is about the profits going to the fire victims, not the farmers. Are you saying that Coles and Woolies are responsible for the tragedy in Victoria as well?
No, and the 2 threads have been merged.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:55 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rudi
So why don't they donate Saturday's profits, when there will be more shoppers and more profits ? Its just a cheap publicity stunt !
Old Feb 11th 2009, 2:13 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BAY
So why don't they donate Saturday's profits, when there will be more shoppers and more profits ? Its just a cheap publicity stunt !
Sure they get publicity and business, but honestly they don't have to do anything at all if they don't want to.

If you really don't like it then shop where and when you feel like it. That way you're happy and the company doesn't have to donate anything from you. Of course the victims won't get anything either. Your choice really.

Personally, I do see that they will get increased business, advertising, etc. Quite frankly though I don't care. I'm just happy they are actually doing something and I will make sure I at least go and purchase some of the things I need that day, even if it is really busy.

Perhaps the reason they don't want to hold it on one of their busiest days is because it will be even more of a madhouse in there. If it's held on an average day and they get a lot more people then it might not be too crazy.

What's the gripe anyway... it's a bit like saying, "oh they only donated 2 million dollars, why didn't they donate 3 million." Any donation from anyone (individual or company) should be gratefully received no matter how much.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 2:30 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by comet555
Sure they get publicity and business, but honestly they don't have to do anything at all if they don't want to.

If you really don't like it then shop where and when you feel like it. That way you're happy and the company doesn't have to donate anything from you. Of course the victims won't get anything either. Your choice really.

Personally, I do see that they will get increased business, advertising, etc. Quite frankly though I don't care. I'm just happy they are actually doing something and I will make sure I at least go and purchase some of the things I need that day, even if it is really busy.

Perhaps the reason they don't want to hold it on one of their busiest days is because it will be even more of a madhouse in there. If it's held on an average day and they get a lot more people then it might not be too crazy.

What's the gripe anyway... it's a bit like saying, "oh they only donated 2 million dollars, why didn't they donate 3 million." Any donation from anyone (individual or company) should be gratefully received no matter how much.
' .... because it will be even more of a madhouse in there. If it's held on an average day and they get a lot more people then it might not be too crazy'

oh please !!

I'm very happy for them to donate , you're missing my point. Anyway enough on the subject.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 2:33 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BAY
' .... because it will be even more of a madhouse in there. If it's held on an average day and they get a lot more people then it might not be too crazy'

oh please !!

I'm very happy for them to donate , you're missing my point. Anyway enough on the subject.
And you're missing my point. What does it matter what day they hold it on? Do you not think that people will come out in support of it, regardless of what day they hold it on? What should it matter if they hold it on their traditionally busier days? Who cares?

There have been many, many emails going around about this. All of the parents at my daughters kindy have got this email plus everyone at my husbands work. I think they're going to be very busy that day.

They will be donating a lot of money, why be picky about how they choose to do it. If you don't like it don't shop that day.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
And you're missing my point. What does it matter what day they hold it on? Do you not think that people will come out in support of it, regardless of what day they hold it on? What should it matter if they hold it on their traditionally busier days? Who cares?

There have been many, many emails going around about this. All of the parents at my daughters kindy have got this email plus everyone at my husbands work. I think they're going to be very busy that day.

They will be donating a lot of money, why be picky about how they choose to do it. If you don't like it don't shop that day.
I'm with you 100% on this Comet. I really don't see what the problem is. So it's a publicity stunt, but being as most people I know shop as Coles or Woolies, I really don't see how this is benifitting them particularly. IT IS BENIFITTING THOSE WHO REALLY NEED THIS RIGHT NOW. I am sure the people who are homeless in Victoria at the moment will not be complaining about this "publicity stunt"

This morning on Sunrise they were saying exactly how much the big businesses were donating, so how is this different. The only amount that was not disclosed was the donation by the Queen!!
Old Feb 11th 2009, 2:55 am
Canuck/Aussie

Personally, I like the fact that it will be done on a Friday. They are open for 13 hours on Friday and only 9 on Saturday. It will give me a lot more time to get there and do some shopping. Plus, we have other things to do on Saturday (birthday parties, skating lessons, etc) so I probably wouldn't have any time to go grocery shopping that day.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 3:20 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Given that Coles and Woolies make around a 6% profit margin people may find it more effective to donate money directly rather than spend a long time in the queues at the supermarkets to let Woolies and Coles take the credit for passing your money over for you.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 3:48 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
Given that Coles and Woolies make around a 6% profit margin people may find it more effective to donate money directly rather than spend a long time in the queues at the supermarkets to let Woolies and Coles take the credit for passing your money over for you.
Hopefully all these people dashing out to the Supermarket have already made their own personal donations... there not actually donating whilst there, just buying things they need. Coles/Woolies are donating, ie; passing their money over.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 3:51 am
Canuck/Aussie

I would be buying my groceries there anyway, so why not do it on a day that they will be donating the profits to a good cause. If it means standing in line longer then so be it (for me anyway).

I believe you can also donate to the cause directly while you're there, although I'd rather just do that on the Red Cross website.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 3:57 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

If woolies are also donating profits then people may be interested to know that Woolies make a hogher profit margin than Coles so you would end up donating more by shopping at Woolies, almost twice as much in fact.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 4:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
If Coles/Woolies really want to help why don't they donate Saturday's (probably the busiest day) profits ?
Originally Posted by BAY
So you think more people shop on Friday instead of Saturday ? If they donated Saturday's profits then people wouldn't need to change their shopping day !
Originally Posted by BAY
Someone can't read. Coles are donating Friday's profits. Also on Friday (already planned a while ago) Woolies are donating Friday's profits to the Farmers. On SATURDAY Woolies are donating their profits.

Not aimed at anyone in particular but who knows what they've donated privately without saying anything, both shops often collect for various charities. I would assume by advertising these particular days, they are encouraging people who may normally do their shop on a Thursday or a Sunday to go on Friday or Saturday. Let's shoot them for doing something charitable shall we? For crying out loud.

Some people don't want to go to the bank to give their money, they may actually buy more groceries this weekend than they normally do. Get over it and have a bit of positive thought instead of bitching about why the shops are doing what they are doing.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dpwilliams
If they paid them a fair price for their produce in the first place they wouldn't need to be donating to help the farmers. It's a cheap pubilicity stunt to help them look good trying to address a problem which they largely contributed to in the first place.
I know, I never disputed it. Which is why I usually buy my veg and meat elsewhere. Unfortunately though I need to buy other stuff, which I get at woolies.

That's what I intend to do - I would rather give my whole house keeping money and starve than buy from Coles as I think it's a dump (well all the ones near me are anyway).

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Someone can't read. Coles are donating Friday's profits. Also on Friday (already planned a while ago) Woolies are donating Friday's profits to the Farmers. On SATURDAY Woolies are donating their profits.

Not aimed at anyone in particular but who knows what they've donated privately without saying anything, both shops often collect for various charities. I would assume by advertising these particular days, they are encouraging people who may normally do their shop on a Thursday or a Sunday to go on Friday or Saturday. Let's shoot them for doing something charitable shall we? For crying out loud.

Some people don't want to go to the bank to give their money, they may actually buy more groceries this weekend than they normally do. Get over it and have a bit of positive thought instead of bitching about why the shops are doing what they are doing.
They're donating their profits to the farmers on Friday 20th Feb, so next week

Agree with all the rest. Woolies actually donated $1m yesterday through the Cricket, and all they got for that was their name flash up for 10 seconds on the TV.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.