Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tsunami fundraiser concert: follow-up

Tsunami fundraiser concert: follow-up

Old Jan 9th 2005, 12:43 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough
Default Tsunami fundraiser concert: follow-up

(I originally posted this on the end of Anya's thread but I've now moved it to its own thread. Visibility is everything.)

I thought I would break my long silence just to say what an amazing, exciting, uplifting, exhausting experience it was at the call centre yesterday evening. The telephones were non-stop for hours and hours, and we got to talk to generous Australians from all corners of the continent (Darwin to Tasmania in my case) falling over themselves to give us money! Our particular call centre raised over $5 million and I feel very proud and privileged to have been a part of it.

But it doesn't stop there. As Bob Geldof said on a similar occasion nearly 20 years ago, "Just give us your ****ing money!" Why do I think this bears repeating? Two words: generous children. I had calls from half-a-dozen kids wanting to donate their precious pocket money. Now there were about 1000 of us in that call centre, and we weren't even the main centre. Do the sums. Think about that level of generosity from those who aren't even earning. Just a few dollars each, but it meant a lot to them. There's a lump in my throat just typing about it. So please, if you haven't donated yet, do it! It's really easy here in Oz. Credit card, cash, cheque, money order, World Vision will take it all. I have to assume that much the same goes in other countries.

Can't afford to give more than $10? Doesn't matter, I took lots of calls last night from people giving that amount. It all adds up. (I know, you hear this every time, so do I, but it's true, I've been there!)

How to donate:
- credit card donation online at www.worldvision.com.au
- cheque or money order to:
World Vision
GPO Box 9944
Melbourne 3001
- cash (and cheque or direct transfer I presume) at any branch of ANZ or National Australia bank

Huge thanks and real karma to everyone who has or will!

Mark

Last edited by MarkMyWords; Jan 9th 2005 at 12:49 am. Reason: Fix typo
Old Jan 9th 2005, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tsunami fundraiser concert: follow-up

Originally Posted by MarkMyWords
(I originally posted this on the end of Anya's thread but I've now moved it to its own thread. Visibility is everything.)

I thought I would break my long silence just to say what an amazing, exciting, uplifting, exhausting experience it was at the call centre yesterday evening. The telephones were non-stop for hours and hours, and we got to talk to generous Australians from all corners of the continent (Darwin to Tasmania in my case) falling over themselves to give us money! Our particular call centre raised over $5 million and I feel very proud and privileged to have been a part of it.

But it doesn't stop there. As Bob Geldof said on a similar occasion nearly 20 years ago, "Just give us your ****ing money!" Why do I think this bears repeating? Two words: generous children. I had calls from half-a-dozen kids wanting to donate their precious pocket money. Now there were about 1000 of us in that call centre, and we we weren't even the main centre. Think about that level of generosity from those who aren't even earning. Just a few dollars each, but it meant a lot to them. There's a lump in my throat just typing about it. So please, if you haven't donated yet, do it! It's really easy here in Oz. Credit card, cash, cheque, money order, World Vision will take it all. I have to assume that much the same goes in other countries.

Can't afford to give more than $10? Doesn't matter, I took lots of calls last night from people giving that amount. It all adds up. (I know, you hear this every time, so do I, but it's true, I've been there!)

How to donate:
- credit card donation online at www.worldvision.com.au
- cheque or money order to:
World Vision
GPO Box 9944
Melbourne 3001
- cash (and cheque or direct transfer I presume) at any branch of ANZ or National Australia bank

Huge thanks and real karma to everyone who has or will!

Mark
Worthy cause, people should remember in aus its tax deductable so people and companies should be able to donate big! amounts.
Old Jan 9th 2005, 7:49 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Worthy cause, people should remember in aus its tax deductable so people and companies should be able to donate big! amounts.
Bumping this one up so that people starting work Monday am Melbourne time will see it, too.

For those DownUnder, don't forget the Asia vs the World Fundraiser Cricket match from the MCG this afternoon. Should be a good game...

Anya.
Old Jan 9th 2005, 11:09 pm
Class 2 Guru

Shameless bump.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 1:24 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMyWords
Shameless bump.
The company I work for is donating $50,000. In addition they have said they will match dollar for dollar what employees contribute.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 1:39 am
Class 2 Guru

Originally Posted by HUP
The company I work for is donating $50,000. In addition they have said they will match dollar for dollar what employees contribute.
Excellent! (How many people is that BTW? My company could lose $50,000 through the cracks in the floorboards and not even blink, it's that big. Not that it would be that sloppy in the first place, of course!)