Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Tsunami disaster: where in Melbourne can we give clothes, household items etc?

Tsunami disaster: where in Melbourne can we give clothes, household items etc?

Old Jan 2nd 2005, 12:28 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Tsunami disaster: where in Melbourne can we give clothes, household items etc?

I am trying to track down any organisations based in Melbourne that will accept goods (rather than just cash) for the victims of the Tsunami disaster.

Like many new immigrants, we have already donated cash & will keep doing so, but having sorted out what we do/don't need for our new life here, we now have loads of spare clothes, bedding, household goods etc that we are sure could be of practical use to some of the victims.

I did hear something about Melbourne Sri Lankans trying to organise shipments, so if anyone has any more info about this and/or other similar groups shipping goods, please let me know & I will share the info around.

Thanks in advance for any help on this one.

Anya.
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 9:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tsunami disaster: where in Melbourne can we give clothes, household items etc?

Obviously don't know for sure, what with being here and all, but try contacting your local Red Cross number. They should know. Presumably "charity shops" are in Melbourne, they might have info. All the best.
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 10:07 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Tsunami disaster: where in Melbourne can we give clothes, household items etc?

I just saw something on TV about the problem with sending clothes etc, is that most of that will end up being left on the runways in the countries concerned due to lack of transport to get it to the places it is needed. They keep saying cash is best.

So I suppose any charity that has local outlets to resell the goods, and then they can send the accummulated cash over. ?

Old Jan 2nd 2005, 10:16 am
I AM 1 PERSON-UNDERSTAND?

SherKhan66 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by anya4oz
I am trying to track down any organisations based in Melbourne that will accept goods (rather than just cash) for the victims of the Tsunami disaster.

Like many new immigrants, we have already donated cash & will keep doing so, but having sorted out what we do/don't need for our new life here, we now have loads of spare clothes, bedding, household goods etc that we are sure could be of practical use to some of the victims.

I did hear something about Melbourne Sri Lankans trying to organise shipments, so if anyone has any more info about this and/or other similar groups shipping goods, please let me know & I will share the info around.

Thanks in advance for any help on this one.

Anya.
Thanks Anya - Excellent post.

However, I think cash is the best option. Now is the time to dig deep and give generously for this horrific disaster.

Cash is best - leave it to the pros to distribute as they see fit - the people caught up in this disaster need medical supplies and food/drink - not old toasters and hoovers.

Dig deep guys and help - don't assume others will do the job for you. Not good enough in these desperate times.

John
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 10:51 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SherKhan66
Thanks Anya - Excellent post.

However, I think cash is the best option. Now is the time to dig deep and give generously for this horrific disaster.

Cash is best - leave it to the pros to distribute as they see fit - the people caught up in this disaster need medical supplies and food/drink - not old toasters and hoovers.

Dig deep guys and help - don't assume others will do the job for you. Not good enough in these desperate times.

John
I think you and ABC are wright, send c`ash or goods for them to sell if you can.

I can't help but think that it will get worse before it gets any better.
Not negative, but due to the size & severity it's going to be hard.

Bye
Mark
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Ocker is on a distinguished road

Yes cash is what is needed at the moment, in time the people will need other things but the cost of transportation for bags of old wooly jumpers and black and white TV's is too high to justify. We donated $100 and will be trying to raise more once we get back from our Week away.
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 8:59 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Thanks, all.

We have already sent cash, & will keep on sending too - it looks like they will need it for some time to come .

However, the reason why I asked about goods is this: a member of my family was involved in the rescue operations in the Turkish earthquake a few years back (15000 killed and many thousands more left homeless/without possessions). The public donated generously, all the International aid agencies rushed to help; however, the victims, who had lost everything, were also desperately in need of practical items such as temporary housing, warm clothes, bedding and basic household goods.

A number of UK organisations and groups of local people ran airlifts of such goods to the affected areas. In fact, I helped collect, sort and label items in my UK home town, which were able to be shipped from our local airport. People in my home town were very generous and countless doonas, sleeping bags & warm coats etc were given. My relative tells me that this kind of effort helps just as much - although it is more difficult to organise than cash, it provides some 'instant' parctical help.

I will keep looking, and will contact the Red Cross, too.

Anya.
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 9:19 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

All around Sydney there are clothing bins. Anyone of the charities would be grateful for your clothing.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Thanks, all.

We have already sent cash, & will keep on sending too - it looks like they will need it for some time to come .

However, the reason why I asked about goods is this: a member of my family was involved in the rescue operations in the Turkish earthquake a few years back (15000 killed and many thousands more left homeless/without possessions). The public donated generously, all the International aid agencies rushed to help; however, the victims, who had lost everything, were also desperately in need of practical items such as temporary housing, warm clothes, bedding and basic household goods.

A number of UK organisations and groups of local people ran airlifts of such goods to the affected areas. In fact, I helped collect, sort and label items in my UK home town, which were able to be shipped from our local airport. People in my home town were very generous and countless doonas, sleeping bags & warm coats etc were given. My relative tells me that this kind of effort helps just as much - although it is more difficult to organise than cash, it provides some 'instant' parctical help.

I will keep looking, and will contact the Red Cross, too.

Anya.
Anya
Our local mosque is having a collection of such ietms this week and someone will take the stuff over. If you contact your local mosque I am sure they would be able to help you.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 7:40 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Hi Anya,

Just watching the news, apparently they're now requesting (as well as cash) shoes, tarps & covers, medical supplies inc. things such as cotton wool and bandages. I too have donated cash already but am trying to think of anything else we can give. I know on the Gold Coast and in Brisbane there are collection points, I heard about them on local news, perhaps something like that will come up for you?
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 8:40 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Michelle, where in Brisbane are the collection points?

Christopher's teacher is indonesian & the nicest lady you could ever meet & alot of her family are still living there, Im trying to find out if any of them have been affected. Its horrific enough seeing the footage on the tv, but its even worse when theres a chance that someone you know may have lost loved ones .
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 8:54 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Originally Posted by debsy
Anya
Our local mosque is having a collection of such ietms this week and someone will take the stuff over. If you contact your local mosque I am sure they would be able to help you.
Debsy

What a good idea. Also local Hindu/Buddhist temples may be collecting. I'm back at work tomorrow where there are many people who may attend these & have answers for me.

Cheers
Anya.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 8:58 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Hi Anya,

Just watching the news, apparently they're now requesting (as well as cash) shoes, tarps & covers, medical supplies inc. things such as cotton wool and bandages. I too have donated cash already but am trying to think of anything else we can give. I know on the Gold Coast and in Brisbane there are collection points, I heard about them on local news, perhaps something like that will come up for you?
Thanks - I'll ask around tomorrow. Have sorted out loads of clothes/bedding/household stuff for them today, so will get some bandages, cotton wool etc to add.

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 9:47 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Michelle, where in Brisbane are the collection points?

Christopher's teacher is indonesian & the nicest lady you could ever meet & alot of her family are still living there, Im trying to find out if any of them have been affected. Its horrific enough seeing the footage on the tv, but its even worse when theres a chance that someone you know may have lost loved ones .
Yep, friend of my partners daughter is half sri lankan and was there for Christmas, hasn't been heard from since

There's one in Kelvin Grove I think, can't seem to find more details on the web for it though - wouldn't be surprised if there was one in the city also; am back in work tomorrow (in CBD) so will see if I can find out anything.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 2:41 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
All around Sydney there are clothing bins. Anyone of the charities would be grateful for your clothing.
Don't give anything without checking with the relevant charities first. There was a piece on our radio today - they weren't complaining, but, they were saying that loads of people were giving clothes and that they weren't needed as much as blankets etc and so were going to waste and taking up precious room in the storage facilities.

As everyone says - money must be best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.