Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Truly terrifying in Tasmania

Truly terrifying in Tasmania

Old Oct 17th 2006, 8:46 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Truly terrifying in Tasmania

Originally Posted by Britishaussie
OMG We're thinking of going to Tasmania! :scared:

Suppose bushfires are a fact of life but it's just the severity of them that's alarming, especially in Tasmania which isn't supposed to get as hot! It's not even summer yet!
l think its dryness not heat that contributed to bushfires
Old Oct 17th 2006, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

The bush fire advice is standard refrain. Studies after 1983 Ash Wednesday have shown that many homes are defendable if there is an able bodied adult in attendance and fine fuels are kept low around - so gutters, woodpiles, long scrub and the rest of it - maybe a DIYsprinker system off a diesel pump from your own water supply - mains pressure may be reduced or lost. Most houses burn down after the main front has gone through which passes in minutes. Laypeople consider my houseto be 'undefendable' but we've had a study done refuting this. Frankly I would just claim on the insurance.

Tassie cooler? I reckon Polly it gets hotter in Tassy than Qld when it gets that northerly like we do in Melbourne.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
l think its dryness not heat that contributed to bushfires
1) And the N-NW wind.
2) A number of hot days
3) Dry and fine fuel on the ground caused by a dry winter or drought.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 11:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
1) And the N-NW wind.
2) A number of hot days
3) Dry and fine fuel on the ground caused by a dry winter or drought.
Generally its cooler, but when it hits the hot days you REALLy feel it there. The hottest days I've experienced were the ones in Tas I think - but it doesn't last, thats the good thing; short sharp shock, and then back to normal
Old Oct 17th 2006, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Generally its cooler, but when it hits the hot days you REALLy feel it there. The hottest days I've experienced were the ones in Tas I think - but it doesn't last, thats the good thing; short sharp shock, and then back to normal
There're the ones. Just like in Melbourne! They need to be experienced to be believed.