Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Truly terrifying in Tasmania

Truly terrifying in Tasmania

Old Oct 13th 2006, 12:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Truly terrifying in Tasmania

We often have threads on here about the bushfires on the mainland, but the ones in Tassie this week seem ti have been overlooked. They reckon its the worst in 40 years down there as far as fire conditions go.
Attached Thumbnails Truly terrifying in Tasmania-easternshore1.jpg   Truly terrifying in Tasmania-easternshore2.jpg   Truly terrifying in Tasmania-easternshore3.jpg   Truly terrifying in Tasmania-easternshore4.jpg  
Old Oct 13th 2006, 12:31 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Truly terrifying in Tasmania

All the pictures from the Hobart paper, The Mercury

www.themercury.news.com.au
Attached Thumbnails Truly terrifying in Tasmania-fire1.jpg   Truly terrifying in Tasmania-fire3.jpg   Truly terrifying in Tasmania-fire5.jpg  
Old Oct 13th 2006, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
We often have threads on here about the bushfires on the mainland, but the ones in Tassie this week seem ti have been overlooked. They reckon its the worst in 40 years down there as far as fire conditions go.

I know, I saw on the news earlier.

Funny how you don't really think about these things when you are in the UK. But it certainly hits home when you are here, especially since a lot of the bush fires seem to be deliberately lit, really can't understand that.

Lets hope that everyone stays safe this summer
Old Oct 13th 2006, 12:35 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

That sends a chill up my spine.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 12:39 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Puts the fear of god into you :scared: Hadn't heard that the Tassie one was so bad, Were those properties saved?
Old Oct 13th 2006, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond repute

OMG We're thinking of going to Tasmania! :scared:

Suppose bushfires are a fact of life but it's just the severity of them that's alarming, especially in Tasmania which isn't supposed to get as hot! It's not even summer yet!
Old Oct 13th 2006, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just the bush fires that are horrific but the drought that the farmers are experiencing that should be conserning all of us.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 1:11 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britishaussie
OMG We're thinking of going to Tasmania! :scared:

Suppose bushfires are a fact of life but it's just the severity of them that's alarming, especially in Tasmania which isn't supposed to get as hot! It's not even summer yet!
No but it is dry and when you have losers who think it entertaining to lob cigarette ends out of car windows etc, that's what happens
Old Oct 13th 2006, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

poor little TAZ...how awful..it's so scary the weather here...
Old Oct 13th 2006, 2:31 pm
Home and Happy

When I used to stay with a guy in Hobart we lived on the hills on one side of the main highway in from the north, facing Mount Wellington and its foothills. I will never forget one day in January watching the fires move down a gully between the foothills, towards the houses. None were list, but it was close. Also when you drive up the mountain you realise all the homes are new - because everything was burnt to the ground in the fires of 1967, and some have been burnt again since. There's one village south of Hobart called Snug - that was wiped out in the 1967 fires and had to be totally rebuilt.
Michael always said to me that you just needed to have a plan, be aware of the weather, and if you lived on the edge of the city, or in a rural area, decide - well in advance - at what point you would leave. He was a Brit, and in his first years there he nearly lost his home on Mt Wellington's foothills. He said it was the most terrifying thing you could imagine - just watching the flames leaping closer.

Tassie doesn't get the temps that we do in Qld, but it does get very dry; the drought is as bad there as anywhere in Aus. It also gets very strong winds, and if these blow from the north-west, which is quite common, they come from the deserts of South and West Australia, and are scorchingly hot and dry. A wind like that only lasts a couple of days, but I experienced one which sent the temps up to 42 degrees briefly. Very uncomfortable, everyone stays indoors and the hospitals struggle to cope. Many Tas homes have no air con either, as it is not needed so often down there.

========

OK, I've stopped rambling now, not often Tassie gets an airing on here though, so I don't feel guilty about waffling
Old Oct 13th 2006, 5:32 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Truly terrifying in Tasmania

When I used to stay with a guy in Hobart we lived on the hills on one side of the main highway in from the north, facing Mount Wellington and its foothills. I will never forget one day in January watching the fires move down a gully between the foothills, towards the houses. None were list, but it was close. Also when you drive up the mountain you realise all the homes are new - because everything was burnt to the ground in the fires of 1967, and some have been burnt again since. There's one village south of Hobart called Snug - that was wiped out in the 1967 fires and had to be totally rebuilt.
Michael always said to me that you just needed to have a plan, be aware of the weather, and if you lived on the edge of the city, or in a rural area, decide - well in advance - at what point you would leave. He was a Brit, and in his first years there he nearly lost his home on Mt Wellington's foothills. He said it was the most terrifying thing you could imagine - just watching the flames leaping closer.

Tassie doesn't get the temps that we do in Qld, but it does get very dry; the drought is as bad there as anywhere in Aus. It also gets very strong winds, and if these blow from the north-west, which is quite common, they come from the deserts of South and West Australia, and are scorchingly hot and dry. A wind like that only lasts a couple of days, but I experienced one which sent the temps up to 42 degrees briefly. Very uncomfortable, everyone stays indoors and the hospitals struggle to cope. Many Tas homes have no air con either, as it is not needed so often down there.

========

OK, I've stopped rambling now, not often Tassie gets an airing on here though, so I don't feel guilty about waffling
Great post.

I do feel so awful, seeing all those fires in Tassie. It's not long ago that I was down that way!
Old Oct 13th 2006, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Good thing about piccys like this is they should make people think about their own bushfire escape plan and of course management of their property, overhanging trees, cleaning gutters etc.

As for the people who start them deliberately, 5 0f the latest fires in NSW were started by kids aged 5, 9 and 14, they got a caution , this always seems to be the case, dont know it the law allows them to do much else given their ages
Old Oct 13th 2006, 9:10 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

========

Saw them on news last night quite a few burning and think there was small one in North Pine area last few days now out.

Supposed to be 37 in Sydney today but not sure about the wind direction. Think we will work on fill the gutters with water and leave early as house is insured.

The fire brigade actually say keep all your valuables in one main case etc. so invent of fire you can just grab the lot and go... don't know how i'll ever have room left for Hubby by the time I get all the valuables in.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 5:02 am
Just Joined

Smoof is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Puts the fear of god into you :scared: Hadn't heard that the Tassie one was so bad, Were those properties saved?
Luckily no homes were lost. Although I must say I have been here four years (from London) and standing in my office looking over the city I almost cried. What an incredible vision to see the fires just edging towards you all because somw &%^$^& thought it would be funny. So close to the city was the terrifying bit. My husband is a firey and was called (along with hundreds of others) to fight fires all day and night. What an amazing team of people who give up their time and committments to help. Their truly amazing effort ensured no lives or homes were lost.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

We had a knock on the door from a neighbour last summer telling us that our front lawn was on fire. I just looked at him as it took a while to sink in but some idiot had thrown a match or a cigarette but out of their car and it had set fire to the grass. Luckily we put it out pretty quickly but it really does beggar belief at times .
Nicky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.