Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Thinking for the people of Queensland

Thinking for the people of Queensland

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thinking for the people of Queensland

Whether you chant, or pray, or cross your fingers, or just concentrate on positive thoughts... Whatever you do, join me in doing it for the people of Queensland tonight?

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking for the people of Queensland

What i find bonkers are all the media crews covering it live from the scene

Hope QLD is spared the worst
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:21 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rainydaze
What i find bonkers are all the media crews covering it live from the scene
To quote "Carver" (Jonathon Pryce) from James Bond - Tomorrow Never Dies...... "there is no news like bad news".....

Surprisingly bad news rates higher than good. Any disaster is a ratings/publication winner for the media...the more sensational the reporting the better.......
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

and they are doing a hugely important job for us all and for the people who are in the centre of it. Without the media we wouldnt know and we couldnt help. The dramatic images help create empathy and a forcefullness to the effort we all have to make to get our state back up and running
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking of you all.Keep safe and sound.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 1:30 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by odyssey
and they are doing a hugely important job for us all and for the people who are in the centre of it. Without the media we wouldnt know and we couldnt help. The dramatic images help create empathy and a forcefullness to the effort we all have to make to get our state back up and running
I have to say catching a little bit of the global media's coverage a couple of hours before it hit us made me much more afraid. Everyone up here, was already set up - with taped, barricaded windows, water containers, first aid boxes, candles, mattresses to put on top of us and so on..... we didn't really need to know that the 'cyclone proof' houses were not tested for 300km per hour winds nor that the army was on standby and that Darwin hospitals were ready to receive possible huge numbers of injured. It was frightening enough without sensationalising it....
Old Feb 6th 2011, 4:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I have to say catching a little bit of the global media's coverage a couple of hours before it hit us made me much more afraid. Everyone up here, was already set up - with taped, barricaded windows, water containers, first aid boxes, candles, mattresses to put on top of us and so on..... we didn't really need to know that the 'cyclone proof' houses were not tested for 300km per hour winds nor that the army was on standby and that Darwin hospitals were ready to receive possible huge numbers of injured. It was frightening enough without sensationalising it....
That's the sort of detail that really does send shivers down your spine - and thats why its the sort of detail I didn't post. On the other hand, as it has come out by other routes, stuff like that about the army, and Darwin hospitals does show how seriously the äuthorities"were prepared for this event, People have had a go at me (on and offline) about scaremongering, but maybe they are now realising that when I was posting the warnings it was because I had some level of understanding of the preparations behind the scenes, and I knew how serious this event could get. I'm not in the business of scaing people, I was in the business of warning them - but with the hard facts of the official weather warnings, not the sensational style of the media.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

We had the opposite down here, with the Bushfires 2 years back, seriously underestimated the effects. Hence Dozens died because they stayed behind.

Much better to over dramatize than to feed on the typical Aus mentality that they will be able to cope.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 4:45 am

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
That's the sort of detail that really does send shivers down your spine - and thats why its the sort of detail I didn't post. On the other hand, as it has come out by other routes, stuff like that about the army, and Darwin hospitals does show how seriously the äuthorities"were prepared for this event, People have had a go at me (on and offline) about scaremongering, but maybe they are now realising that when I was posting the warnings it was because I had some level of understanding of the preparations behind the scenes, and I knew how serious this event could get. I'm not in the business of scaing people, I was in the business of warning them - but with the hard facts of the official weather warnings, not the sensational style of the media.
Yes it could have been far worse if Cairns or Townsville had ended up in the direct line. Innisfail would have been carnage as well had they not been rebuilt after Larry in 2006 - when incidentally, several mates of mine had their yachts tied up in the mangrove down there (them aboard) with both boats and people surviving intact. I just wish these more freaky TV warnings could have gone out when there was still time to evacuate!! - I saw them about 2 hours before it was due to hit.... Another good but really frightening thing were the text message updates we all got from the government . I think I'll keep those for posterity.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 6:25 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yeah I had to stop watching the news in the end but to be honest the wording from BOM actually freaked me out the most

I do agree though that there is a fine balance between scaring people and warning them to be prepared. I work for Townsville City Council and spent the day before the cyclone hit in the call centre calmly but firmly informing people they needed to be prepared for the storm surge and where was a safe area in Townsville to evacuate to if necessary going by the latest maps. I have to say that the majority of the people I spoke to were taking the threat seriously.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by The A Team
Yeah I had to stop watching the news in the end but to be honest the wording from BOM actually freaked me out the most

I do agree though that there is a fine balance between scaring people and warning them to be prepared. I work for Townsville City Council and spent the day before the cyclone hit in the call centre calmly but firmly informing people they needed to be prepared for the storm surge and where was a safe area in Townsville to evacuate to if necessary going by the latest maps. I have to say that the majority of the people I spoke to were taking the threat seriously.
Yeah! I don't think BOM has ever had that many hits! We, on a boat up a mangrove in Cairns, had to climb half way up the mast to get enough signal to receive the internet. Refresh, refresh, refresh!!! SHIT!!.... When I close my eyes I still see that big pink baba papa shape and massive red circle!!!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 6:38 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah! I don't think BOM has ever had that many hits! We, on a boat up a mangrove in Cairns, had to climb half way up the mast to get enough signal to receive the internet. Refresh, refresh, refresh!!! SHIT!!.... When I close my eyes I still see that big pink baba papa shape and massive red circle!!!
YEP!!!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 6:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Another good but really frightening thing were the text message updates we all got from the government . I think I'll keep those for posterity.
sending those things out is pretty mindblowing when we see just how many phones we are about to hit............... i can only imagine what its like to actually get one. Thats probably the only part of my job I actually hate doing.

Originally Posted by The A Team
When we got the Cat Five warning with the Bureau's extra wording in the middle that was a very sobering moment - we all know what the Bureau warnings are like, standard factual wording. None of us had ever seen them deviate like that before.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 8:13 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
We had the opposite down here, with the Bushfires 2 years back, seriously underestimated the effects. Hence Dozens died because they stayed behind.

We werent even warned....it just happened......Certainly know which I'd prefer
Old Feb 6th 2011, 9:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it's how you 'read' the info. As someone well away from the area, the knowledge that the army and Darwin hospitals were on standby was quite reassuring bearing in mind we'd watched them evacuate Cairns hospital so knew that would be no use. I didn't see that stuff as sensationalist, just informative. However stuff like some of the media using file photos and videos of previous cyclones was just plain wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.