Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Sunshine Coast Storms last night

Sunshine Coast Storms last night

Old Dec 17th 2005, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sunshine Coast Storms last night

We were surfing off Kawana around 5.30pm and left surf as a large storm came out of nowhere. Greeted with a text message from owners saying theres a large gum tree through the roof of their building site in Mountain creek.

Sure enough the area was littered with what must be hundreds of fallen trees, some with the root balls totally lifted out the ground! others huge gums just snapped in half, several houses in buderim and mountain creek in the same position as our job with the new addition of a tree protuding from roof. One guy in buderim had his rellies camping on the block next door in a caravan, a massive gum tree snapped the van in half :scared: Luckily noone was inside at the time. Power was off for about 8 hours, down the soccer fields the wood huts had been picked up and smashed into shreds and dumped back down again. Power lines had just fallen down in one place. Locals were saying it all happened in 10 mins and was like a tornado.

Seems to be around the dixon road, ballinger road, mountain creek near the buderim end, I know quite a few expats live around there.

Last edited by jad n rich; Dec 17th 2005 at 7:20 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2005, 11:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunshine Coast Storms last night

It certainly was a nasty one, and the Buderim area got the worst of it. Came up very quickly out of nowhere as well - took everyone by surprise.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 11:09 am
Just Joined

shimba is an unknown quantity at this point

It was terrifing and yes the damage was done in 10 minutes. i was sat outside watching the storm in Jingellic Drive and suddenly the wind started and I shot inside. I had a wooden stake land in my garden, from where I have no idea. The wind was so strong it bent the metal posts of our boat cover, it was incredible. We went for a drive when it was over and the damage was amazing, we felt sorry for the people living in Ballinger where there bridges to their homes were completely blocked with trees. On the football fields the goal posts had just been lifted and tossed around. On telly it always advises that you listen into the radio stations, obviously 91.1 in NOT the one to listen to, no info at all.

Originally Posted by jad n rich
We were surfing off Kawana around 5.30pm and left surf as a large storm came out of nowhere. Greeted with a text message from owners saying theres a large gum tree through the roof of their building site in Mountain creek.

Sure enough the area was littered with what must be hundreds of fallen trees, some with the root balls totally lifted out the ground! others huge gums just snapped in half, several houses in buderim and mountain creek in the same position as our job with the new addition of a tree protuding from roof. One guy in buderim had his rellies camping on the block next door in a caravan, a massive gum tree snapped the van in half :scared: Luckily noone was inside at the time. Power was off for about 8 hours, down the soccer fields the wood huts had been picked up and smashed into shreds and dumped back down again. Power lines had just fallen down in one place. Locals were saying it all happened in 10 mins and was like a tornado.

Seems to be around the dixon road, ballinger road, mountain creek near the buderim end, I know quite a few expats live around there.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 9:45 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to another day in paradise .