Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Samsung S4 vs HTC One

Samsung S4 vs HTC One

Old Sep 14th 2013, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Samsung S4 vs HTC One

I'm getting a new phone today, I have very little time for hand-wringing or fanboy chit chat.

Due to limited time, and the fact I want to stay with my current provider and plan, moreorless, it's down to these phones. I don't have time to wait for a new stellar or exciting phone to come on to the market next week or month.

I have a S2 now. I love it. I'm quite intrigued by the HTC interface, I find the Samsung skin a bit of a bore. The fact that the Samsung can take a card and a new battery might swing it too.

I'm not bothered by features, GPS turn by turn nav has to be reliable and fast - it's crap on the S2. All I do is surf on wifi and make calls.

I also don't care about the HTC aluminium body - overall, I just wish phones were smaller, in fact. I hear the HTC has Blinkfeed, and TV which may be useful.

Cheers

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Sep 14th 2013 at 12:28 am.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Samsung S4 vs HTC One

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I'm getting a new phone today, I have very little time for hand-wringing or fanboy chit chat.

Due to limited time, and the fact I want to stay with my current provider and plan, moreorless, it's down to these phones. I don't have time to wait for a new stellar or exciting phone to come on to the market next week or month.

I have a S2 now. I love it. I'm quite intrigued by the HTC interface, I find the Samsung skin a bit of a bore. The fact that the Samsung can take a card and a new battery might swing it too.

I'm not bothered by features, GPS turn by turn nav has to be reliable and fast - it's crap on the S2. All I do is surf on wifi and make calls.

I also don't care about the HTC aluminium body - overall, I just wish phones were smaller, in fact. I hear the HTC has Blinkfeed, and TV which may be useful.

Cheers
Wife has S4, Son has HTC. I have a Nokia C5, which shows you how much I care about phones.
From their comments about both, Son says "HTC is great", wife says "Samsung is great"

I hope that helped?
Old Sep 14th 2013, 1:27 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

Cheers
Well, of course, if you could wait for the Nexus 5 next month......no?.... oh well, in that case....

My vote would tend to go towards the S4, because of the microSD card capability. The HTC One would win if you were particularly into sound. The S4 is slightly smaller, whilst having the bigger screen.

Mind, it sounds like you are trying to convince yourself of the HTC One.

Note you can get the Google Play editions of each phone (eg no bloatware) or convert the vanilla versions to play editions at the cost of your warranty and some rooting. There is even a mechanism for switching between versions on the fly (HTC One now, S4 later). This may come more to the fore with the release of KitKat and the long time it usually takes for the companies to shovel across their bloatware.

As for turn by turn GPS, you can use Google Navigate, but personally I would tend towards iGO.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

As you are already using Jelly Bean or whatever the latest is, going to an S4 will be pretty seamless. Unlike Windows, each phone company has their own flavour of Android and it can be a bit of a learning curve. When I borrowed my mate's Aldimobile Medion phone I was a total novice again.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

nickzeff is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you decide in the end?

I had an HTC for years, then moved over to Samsung.

I was hesitant because I loved the Sense interface with the HTC and I thought the Samsung Touchwiz launcher (I think that's the name) was a bit ugly.

I still got the Samsung and downloaded Nova launcher. Now I love everything about the phone. I actually prefer it to my old HTC, because it's much closer to stock Android. That means lock screen widgets actually work, amongst other things.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Well, of course, if you could wait for the Nexus 5 next month......no?.... oh well, in that case....

My vote would tend to go towards the S4, because of the microSD card capability. The HTC One would win if you were particularly into sound. The S4 is slightly smaller, whilst having the bigger screen.

Mind, it sounds like you are trying to convince yourself of the HTC One.

Note you can get the Google Play editions of each phone (eg no bloatware) or convert the vanilla versions to play editions at the cost of your warranty and some rooting. There is even a mechanism for switching between versions on the fly (HTC One now, S4 later). This may come more to the fore with the release of KitKat and the long time it usually takes for the companies to shovel across their bloatware.

As for turn by turn GPS, you can use Google Navigate, but personally I would tend towards iGO.
I got the S4, thanks everyone - familiarity won the day. I'd like to crack the phone one day but I daren't eff it and I don't really have the time to faff with it.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 4:14 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to wade in after the horse has bolted but we bought one of these recently for youngest son. It cost less than a third of the price of the S4 with almost the same features. We're all very impressed with it