Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia / Flood, Fire, Tsunami, Cyclone Alerts and Information

Closed Thread

Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:01 am   #1
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should the victims of the Victoria Fires have their homes rebuilt gratis ...

If they didn't bother with adequate home insurance ... ?

*steps away ...*

Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:08 am   #2
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should the victims of the Victoria Fires have their homes rebuilt gratis ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Legs View Post

*steps away ...*

No I dont reckon so, in fact after watching the Bush Fire Appeal marathon thing last night on TV we said where the hell is all this money going? most should have home insurance so that will pay for the property and contents, where is this $62 million going? and how will it be divvied up?
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:13 am   #3
Forum Regular

Generali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Should the victims of the Victoria Fires have their homes rebuilt gratis ...

Quote:

*steps away ...*

No. If you do that, why would insurance companies include bush fire insurance in their policies.

If you don't insure you take a risk, everyone knows that.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:18 am   #4
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possums View Post
No I dont reckon so, in fact after watching the Bush Fire Appeal marathon thing last night on TV we said where the hell is all this money going? most should have home insurance so that will pay for the property and contents, where is this $62 million going? and how will it be divvied up?

I would imagne anyone living in such bushfire prone areas would be covered, surely it would be rare, that they would not be.

Maybe the funds will be used for temp accom, emergency supplies, but I think centerlink is already covering that.

I guess schools, churches, community halls would also be covered by insurance.

I know when we had the massive storm and a tree destroy the roof, the insurance paid up quick smart too.

It will be interesting to hear how such a huge sum of money will be spent, maybe some will go on the clean up effort, I think that will be a huge cost and most people never factor demolish/remove into the re build cost.

Maybe the money will also go to loss of income, if someone lost a partner, business, or funerals.

Last edited by jad n rich; Feb 13th 2009 at 4:22 am.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:25 am   #5
Safin Female
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

perhaps into making efforts to prevent this happening again - paying for more controlled burning, public fire bunkers, more firemen, more water pumps etc etc. I am a very long way from knowledgable on the subject but there must be things that money can buy that would help avoid a repeat.

Also communtiy areas - eg parks that have been destroyed. If insurance covers most buildings then it is these open areas that give quality of life outside the buildings.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:29 am   #6
spalen 
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

*steps away ...*

Whilst on the topic of saying unpopular things about this event... I am unable to fathom why people are even thinking there is a choice between"Stay and defend or leave"

On Day1 when it was a 'normal bush fire' - yes maybe history prevails. But on day2 when it was clear this was a raging fire travelling at 80kms/hr and mass loss of live - people were still debating "stay or leave" and..... even a day or so ago a town of 1,000 were threatened and they had some of the residents on the radio saying " well we might leave we're not sure yet we'll wait till its 6k away "

I just cant work it out.
"This is my body. And I can do whatever I want to it. I can push it. Study it. Tweak it. Listen to it. Everybody wants to know what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass six hours a day. What are you on?"- Lance Armstrong
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:33 am   #7
quoll Female
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately I think we will find that a good number wont have insurance. In the Canberra fires it was some amazing figure - over 30% that didnt have insurance and from memory it was well over the 30%. People see insurance as just another payment for which they get nothing in return and when they are financially strapped then it is one of the first things to go. There have already been people on the tv who say they have no insurance.

One thing that does worry me a bit - and I am sure it has been fixed since the Canberra fires - the insurance companies are being very swift to pay out which on the face of it seems good but we found that where people were adequately insured, the pay out didnt allow them to rebuild because the cost of building went up incredibly steeply. Also when the insurance pays out it leaves the land owner with the public liability risk - normally that would be covered in the insurance but once paid out they are no longer insured of course. Those home sites are hugely risky and it wouldnt take much for someone to be injured on one and the owner then have to fork out for injuries.

I just hope that there arent as many uninsured as I fear there might be!
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:41 am   #8
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad n rich View Post
I would imagne anyone living in such bushfire prone areas would be covered, surely it would be rare, that they would not be.

Maybe the funds will be used for temp accom, emergency supplies, but I think centerlink is already covering that.

I guess schools, churches, community halls would also be covered by insurance.

I know when we had the massive storm and a tree destroy the roof, the insurance paid up quick smart too.

It will be interesting to hear how such a huge sum of money will be spent, maybe some will go on the clean up effort, I think that will be a huge cost and most people never factor demolish/remove into the re build cost.

Maybe the money will also go to loss of income, if someone lost a partner, business, or funerals.
its a very touchy subject, I am as I have already said devastated by what has happened and yes donated myself but after watching last night I thought hang on a minute? this is a hell of a lot of money here? and there will be a lot more yet. Kind of think its turning into a circus.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:58 am   #9
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possums View Post
its a very touchy subject, I am as I have already said devastated by what has happened and yes donated myself but after watching last night I thought hang on a minute? this is a hell of a lot of money here? and there will be a lot more yet. Kind of think its turning into a circus.
the bottom line is that many people's lives have been devastated, and the population around Australia want to help in some way. For most, the only way that they can help is by giving money - regardless of whether it is really needed.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:07 am   #10
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

I
Quote:
would imagne anyone living in such bushfire prone areas would be covered, surely it would be rare, that they would not be.
As has been said unfortunately not, some poor people up there in the hills, and for the really poor insurance can seem like a luxury....

The bunkers are a good idea, they aren't too expenseive and have saved lives, Im sure there is plenty to spend the cash on, community projects like rebuilding schools, parks, wildlife projects, and somewhere for people to stay atleast until they sort their lives out?

http://pompeyblondereturns.blogspot.com.au/
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:07 am   #11
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Without wanting to fan the flames further ... no pun intended.

On the subject of Australians and giving ...

Am I right in thinking they are one of the tightest, should I say, less generous populations in terms of charitable donations throughout the world??? I'm sure I read this somewhere???

They are digging very deep in this case as the emergency is close to home ...

Do others feel this emphasises their very insular nature?
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:09 am   #12
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Do others feel this emphasises their very insular nature?
Yes, they are pretty cut off from the rest of the world, and to be honest you could easily forget the rest of the world existed here what with the crap news media....

http://pompeyblondereturns.blogspot.com.au/
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:14 am   #13
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad n rich View Post
I know when we had the massive storm and a tree destroy the roof, the insurance paid up quick smart too....
Lucky you - I'm still waiting on a builder to fix a collapsed ceiling (and a few othe rminor repairs) and havent seen $0.01 from my insurance yet despite putting in a claim for $7000 of contents. (From Nov 17th Storm)

I did, however paid my $500 excess just before xmas....

If it wasnt for the charity handouts that we receieved (that at the time I felt rather fraudulant for accepting) we'd be on a rice+water diet by now and would be in a really grim financial situation.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:15 am   #14
---
Premium Member

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.

The poorest are the most likely not to have insurance. Have a heart, for pities sake!
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:18 am   #15
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeyblonde View Post
Yes, they are pretty cut off from the rest of the world, and to be honest you could easily forget the rest of the world existed here what with the crap news media....
Well if your main source of media is channel 7 and "Adelaide now", I would agree with you 100%.

The UK is far, far better in this regard. In Australia, you have to make more of an effort to seek out international news. (its not that hard though, just stop watching 7 news & watch SBS or ABC instead )
Closed Thread

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia / Flood, Fire, Tsunami, Cyclone Alerts and Information