Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Should donated money be used for house rebuilding of those who were not insured?

View Poll Results: Should donated money be used for rebuilding houses of those not insured?
Yes
32.48%
No
50.43%
Don't know
17.09%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Should donated money be used for house rebuilding of those who were not insured?

Old Feb 15th 2009, 5:17 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should donated money be used for house rebuilding of those who were not insured?

Originally Posted by viviennef

I am not so perfect in every area of my life to look down my nose and make judgement on anyone else.
I bet you would if someone crashed their car in to yours and they couldn't "afford" insurance.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 5:24 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should donated money be used for house rebuilding of those who were not insured?

completely different - illegal and risking others.

if you are skint - house insurance is something that has to go, car insurance isnt usually.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

if you are skint - house insurance is something that has to go, car insurance isnt usually.
Sorry but I do not see that home insurance is something that has to go first, why would you not insure your home over your car? Also if you can run a car then you aren't skint are you?
Old Feb 15th 2009, 6:16 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

it's not illegal to drive uninsured, well it isn't in WA, it's optional, just like home insurance.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
it's not illegal to drive uninsured, well it isn't in WA, it's optional, just like home insurance.
It is isn't it?

The license fee includes compulsory 3rd party insurance.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 7:10 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
It is isn't it?

The license fee includes compulsory 3rd party insurance.
That's only for injury, not for ploughing into the side of someone else's car and causing thousands in damage which the bogans who are uninsured are invariably unable to pay for..
Old Feb 15th 2009, 7:14 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

if your skint why are you driving - cheaper too walk or use public transport.

I have had the misfortune to have had my car written off by a driver without insurance and while really pissed off, the fact that he now spends the rest of his life in a wheelchair makes me a firm believer in Karma.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

That's only for injury, not for ploughing into the side of someone else's car and causing thousands in damage which the bogans who are uninsured are invariably unable to pay for..
Well, I learnt something there. I'm worried now.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:06 am

I dont fully understand it either - I thought if they had 3rd party insurance through the rego then it covered third party damage too. Fully comp isnt mandatory here or in the uk.

So I thought which ever way you are covered

Sometimes if you are very skint, you still have to drive. we went through a really tough patch but of course had to drive to get work (tradesmen dont stay in one spot.) We didnt have any luxuries such as house insurance at that time and struggled to just pay for the necessities - rego being one of them although we were really late paying that more than once.

I think if someone isnt home insured, and they get broken into or there is some damage to their belongings you think "stupid gits, own fault not insured".

But I really dont think at a time when such a terrible tragedy has occurred and hundreds people have lost every thing they own including lots of lives that it is ok to start saying that they are lazy and somehow deserve it.

Its uncalled for I think - when there is human grief and complete loss to be so callous and condescending.

We have no idea what any of those poor people's circumstances are or what their situation was.

Did you see the couple from the uk who were here for jsut a week and lost their lives. Their friends survived but I wonder if they had house insurance?

Also it seems to be perfectly acceptable not to have health insurance that can be afforded and to live off the public health system,

I go through my life hoping the best for people and I hope I never get so I go around judging and criticising other people

Vivienne
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:20 am
(It's not my real name)

Sometimes if you are very skint, you still have to drive. we went through a really tough patch but of course had to drive to get work (tradesmen dont stay in one spot.) We didnt have any luxuries such as house insurance at that time and struggled to just pay for the necessities - rego being one of them although we were really late paying that more than once.
Since when has insuring your house been a "luxury".
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:24 am

If the uninsured are going to get their houses rebuilt from donated cash then the insured should have the choice of whether to claim on their insurance or take the handout and protect their no claims and excess, a bit like with medical insurance.
I dont think anyone should lose their no claims and excess either

Vivienne
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:30 am

Since when has insuring your house been a "luxury".
I suppose I am also thinking with a renting head on - I own this house but rented for years and only had insurance half of that time. I cant imagine not having insurance when I have such a big mortgage.

I suppose that since my house is owned by the mortgage company then I would consider it a must have - since they would lose out when I went bankrupt and lost it.

Its all too hard for my brain tonight, I am in a really crappy mood and dont know why I am even thinking about this really - I concede, now they are destitute, why not let the social system pick up the pieces

V
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Taffaroo will become famous soon enoughTaffaroo will become famous soon enough

Where are you from in Wales? I am from Porthcawl.

That is the most ridiculous generalisation I have ever heard. I get the feeling maybe charitable donation is not really your thing. In Australia there is a big culture of helping each other and of people all being the same (less class based) and that kind of comment is best left at home.

How much have you donated by the way?

Vivienne
Just down the road from you in Margam.

I have donated $120 dollars and sent an Esky and a water pump which were not needed by us.

My kids also donated $8 which to them might aswell of been a million dollars.

I stand by my earlier comment as they are my opinion but I am happy to discuss it and would be shocked if it turns out that this money was used for this purpose.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:46 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
if your skint why are you driving - cheaper too walk or use public transport.

I have had the misfortune to have had my car written off by a driver without insurance and while really pissed off, the fact that he now spends the rest of his life in a wheelchair makes me a firm believer in Karma.
So he deserves to be in a wheel chair because he totalled your car? Have you never done anything wrong, maybe a minor misdemeanour and maybe you should just have a limp as your karma.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:49 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Esp when you live in the middle of a bush fire prone area

Originally Posted by bridie
no, insurance isnt very expensive and there is no excuse to not have it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.