Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Should donated money be used for house rebuilding of those who were not insured?

View Poll Results: Should donated money be used for rebuilding houses of those not insured?
Yes
32.48%
No
50.43%
Don't know
17.09%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Should donated money be used for house rebuilding of those who were not insured?

Old Feb 14th 2009, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should donated money be used for house rebuilding of those who were not insured?

Originally Posted by The Bloke
For major disasters, the Feds pick up the tab for things like that ...
That means we all pay for it. The Federal Government does not have any money, it collects tax from us and redistributes it.

Probably about 10 to 15 years ago there was a huge hail storm that damaged a few hundred houses south of Sydney, many cars were also wrecked. Many of the houses had lost their roofs and often the ceilings. Lots of donations were made to the fund, the state government took control of it and it ended up with just about everything going only to those who were uninsured. Has put a lot of people off donating in future.

We live in a bush fire area, we are fully insured and have metal roller shutters at our windows and carry out all the recommended precautions. With climate change it seems that we will all have to do a bit more to make our homes safe.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Taffaroo will become famous soon enoughTaffaroo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Should donated money be used for house rebuilding of those who were not insured?

If they end up using this cash to rebuild some layabouts house who couldnt be bothered insuring themselves I will never donate again to charity.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffaroo
If they end up using this cash to rebuild some layabouts house who couldnt be bothered insuring themselves I will never donate again to charity.

Quite a blunt way of putting it, but that is probably what a lot of other posters a thinking too.

I have no problem with people who a genuinely hard up, I do have a problem with people who want to sponge off society.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 10:02 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, to an extent. I wouldn't give cash but would give "stuff" that was needed - for everyone's benefit, not just the uninsured.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 10:09 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by renth
I wouldn't have donated cash if I thought it was to rebuild uninsured houses.
ditto

Dougie
Old Feb 15th 2009, 12:14 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

You will never donate to charity again? a bit of blanket statement. What about medical research, children's charities, homeless charities etc etc.

People don't insure their property for many reasons - some because they take the risk, some because they can't afford it, what with the cost of living going up and up and benefit/wages pretty much staying the same something has to go. Would I do that? Probably not but then again I am not in their situation.

Whether you agree that they are offered the re-build costs or not, to call them all layabouts is pretty judgmental.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

Taffaroo will become famous soon enoughTaffaroo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Vanessa
You will never donate to charity again? a bit of blanket statement. What about medical research, children's charities, homeless charities etc etc.

People don't insure their property for many reasons - some because they take the risk, some because they can't afford it, what with the cost of living going up and up and benefit/wages pretty much staying the same something has to go. Would I do that? Probably not but then again I am not in their situation.

Whether you agree that they are offered the re-build costs or not, to call them all layabouts is pretty judgmental.
I would like to cancel my home and contents insurance too and save hundreds of $$$ every year but I know nobody is going to rush to help me in the case of the worst happening. I do feel for the people affected by the fires, believe me I do and I have donated some items and cash and my kids donated all they had at the time which was $8 we also doubled up on shopping items at the supermarket while they were donating the profits this week, it appalls me to think that my kids money might be used to help somebody who decided they wanted to save the premiums they would of spent on insurance for something else.
In my opinion insurance should be compulsory.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 1:08 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to cancel my home and contents insurance too and save hundreds of $$$ every year but I know nobody is going to rush to help me in the case of the worst happening. I do feel for the people affected by the fires, believe me I do and I have donated some items and cash and my kids donated all they had at the time which was $8 we also doubled up on shopping items at the supermarket while they were donating the profits this week, it appalls me to think that my kids money might be used to help somebody who decided they wanted to save the premiums they would of spent on insurance for something else.
While I agree with you in principle, it's hard to know why some may not have paid their insurance premiums. I know from my own experience that there have been times when we had to decide whether to buy groceries so the kids could eat or pay our rent. Paying an insurance premium for our house was probably near the bottom of the list of our priorities at the time.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 1:15 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe it should maybe it shouldn't. In an ideal world everyone would have insurance for house, car etc, we would all have well paid jobs and pay our taxed with enthusiasm and try not to beat the system and the list goes on. However, we don't live in an ideal world and people have to make choices. They may not be your choice or mine but decisions have to be made and in this case some of them have made the wrong one.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
While I agree with you in principle, it's hard to know why some may not have paid their insurance premiums. I know from my own experience that there have been times when we had to decide whether to buy groceries so the kids could eat or pay our rent. Paying an insurance premium for our house was probably near the bottom of the list of our priorities at the time.
Possibly but you were renting - as many people are when they are that hard up - so buildings insurance wouldn't have been an issue.

I've also been in difficult situations but when I've had a house, buildings insurance was just after food in terms of priorities.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 1:37 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Possibly but you were renting - as many people are when they are that hard up - so buildings insurance wouldn't have been an issue.

I've also been in difficult situations but when I've had a house, buildings insurance was just after food in terms of priorities.
You're right. We were renting so it's a little bit different. Our mortgage when we owned our houses in Canada was dependent on us providing proof of adequate insurance. Same as our mortgage here. We have to show proof of insurance equal to or greater than the cost of rebuilding our house before our mortgage lender will fork over the final payment to the builder. I would have thought it would be the same everywhere.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I've also been in difficult situations but when I've had a house, buildings
insurance was just after food in terms of priorities.
Agreed. I remember my mother also having funeral insurance,if not life insurance, as a high priority. I could easily have mine lapse - they can stick me in a pauper's grave...in a paper mache box.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Agreed. I remember my mother also having funeral insurance,if not life insurance, as a high priority. I could easily have mine lapse - they can stick me in a pauper's grave...in a paper mache box.
Hahaha - I agree.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 4:42 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I most definitely think yes. From my experience people who are not insured are financially not as comfortable. We didnt have house insurance for many years when we moved here as we were struggling to get by and just couldnt afford it. Noone in their right mind would just not bother if they had plenty of disposable.

For me, I would be more than happy to help anyone who has lost in those fires, whether they were short of money, loaded, forgot - who cares about the reason.

I am not so perfect in every area of my life to look down my nose and make judgement on anyone else. I am not that religious but that saying something like let us not judge lest you be judged yourself" comes to mind.

All those poor poor people, it really is a tragedy.

Viv
Old Feb 15th 2009, 4:47 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Where are you from in Wales? I am from Porthcawl.

That is the most ridiculous generalisation I have ever heard. I get the feeling maybe charitable donation is not really your thing. In Australia there is a big culture of helping each other and of people all being the same (less class based) and that kind of comment is best left at home.

How much have you donated by the way?

Vivienne

Last edited by viviennef; Feb 15th 2009 at 4:50 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.