Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Sever Weather Warning ....Perth and WA Coastline

Sever Weather Warning ....Perth and WA Coastline

Old Aug 17th 2005, 5:25 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sever Weather Warning ....Perth and WA Coastline

I had this sent through a little while ago.

IDW28001
Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Western Australia

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
SEVERE WEATHER WARNING

for Flash Flooding and Widespread Damaging Winds with Locally Destructive Gusts
For people in the Southwest, Lower West, Central West and southern parts of the
Gascoyne district including Busselton, Bunbury, Mandurah, Perth metropolitan
area and Geraldton. Issued at 12:05 pm on Wednesday 17 August 2005

A strong cold front is expected to cross the west coast during the afternoon.
Associated heavy showers and thunderstorms may cause flash flooding and locally
destructive gusts that could result in significant damage or destruction of
property. Widespread damaging winds may be experienced north of Perth.

The FESA - State Emergency Service advises that people should secure loose items
and stay indoors when strong winds develop. Boat owners should ensure that small
craft are securely moored. Driving conditions will be hazardous.

The next warning will be issued by 3:00 pm Wednesday.

This warning is also available through TV and Radio broadcasts; the Bureau's
website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 213.

Refer photo below ;

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDE00902.loop.shtml
Old Aug 17th 2005, 5:36 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sever Weather Warning ....Perth and WA Coastline

Originally Posted by steve99
I had this sent through a little while ago.

IDW28001
Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Western Australia

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
SEVERE WEATHER WARNING

for Flash Flooding and Widespread Damaging Winds with Locally Destructive Gusts
For people in the Southwest, Lower West, Central West and southern parts of the
Gascoyne district including Busselton, Bunbury, Mandurah, Perth metropolitan
area and Geraldton. Issued at 12:05 pm on Wednesday 17 August 2005

A strong cold front is expected to cross the west coast during the afternoon.
Associated heavy showers and thunderstorms may cause flash flooding and locally
destructive gusts that could result in significant damage or destruction of
property. Widespread damaging winds may be experienced north of Perth.

The FESA - State Emergency Service advises that people should secure loose items
and stay indoors when strong winds develop. Boat owners should ensure that small
craft are securely moored. Driving conditions will be hazardous.

The next warning will be issued by 3:00 pm Wednesday.

This warning is also available through TV and Radio broadcasts; the Bureau's
website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 213.

Refer photo below ;

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDE00902.loop.shtml

Already started up here again, gusts at the moment sound as strong as it did when the tornado came through yesterday.

Batten down the hatches guys.

Kala
Old Aug 17th 2005, 5:44 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Already started up here again, gusts at the moment sound as strong as it did when the tornado came through yesterday.

Batten down the hatches guys.

Kala
Spooky, I was just thinking I havent noticed any posts from you today and wondered if you guys got caught up in it yesterday.
Glad to see your still with us

I can see out to the ocean in the distance from Subi and it looks pretty black.
We do need the rain, but my pool doesnt its about 1/2 inch of the top and when the real strong winds blow it sort of swills around and laps over on to the pavers, think i'll be trying to pump it out (which seems a real waste given how much evaporates in the summer)
Steve
Old Aug 17th 2005, 5:53 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Spooky, I was just thinking I havent noticed any posts from you today and wondered if you guys got caught up in it yesterday.
Glad to see your still with us

I can see out to the ocean in the distance from Subi and it looks pretty black.
We do need the rain, but my pool doesnt its about 1/2 inch of the top and when the real strong winds blow it sort of swills around and laps over on to the pavers, think i'll be trying to pump it out (which seems a real waste given how much evaporates in the summer)
Steve
I am right on the beach in a very old 2 story building, the back of which (ocean side) has some wooden structure on stilts where the bathrooms and balconies are so it gets a bit scary in that side on the building. The whole building is making very strange banging noises now, this is definately the windiest it has been.

Well if nothing else it should be interesting.

Kala
Old Aug 17th 2005, 5:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds a bit hairy Kala, fingers crossed for you - just sit back and think of Sussex!!!
Old Aug 17th 2005, 6:24 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Sounds a bit hairy Kala, fingers crossed for you - just sit back and think of Sussex!!!

No doubt my power will go off again at some point and i wont be able to get on here, already had to call the SES out, massive bit of guttering that came loose in yesterdays wind and was fixed this morning is now off again, hanging and banging in the wind, if it comes off it will go onto main CDB street and it is about 20 meters long so SES are gonna see if they can lasoo it.

I'd honestly say the wind is stronger than the 2nd storm that hit sussex, in that one my sisters classroom (school hut) roof was blown away so this is definately gonna be a bit hairy.

Have taken down all exterior lighting and put all garden furniture away, closed all windows and blinds so if the windows do go the blinds should stop some of the flying glass. dont really know what else can be done but I can asure you that I will not being goin near the bathrooms this afternoon, far too scary in there.

Keep us updated of how it is in Perth and down south those of you who are there.

See ya later
Kala
Old Aug 17th 2005, 6:58 am
Living in Perthection

3pm report from Subiaco.
It looks like England outside (and ive had enough of it already )
Its gone grey, pretty dark and is pissing it down, nowhere near as hard as yesterday yet though and there doesnt seem to be much wind to go with it.
Which is good in some respects but might mean it will linger around for a while...
Im trying to train for the City to Surf run on the 28th, and the prospect of going out in this isn't exactly filling me with joy.

Steve
Old Aug 17th 2005, 7:14 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Report from Maddington (near Armadale, sort of)

Peeing it down, not as bad as yesterday(road was a river), and not as dark(street lights went on is some spots).

But we're not getting the worst of it, as you can see on the radar loop:
http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR123.loop.shtml

Looks like our house (mt Hawhorn) is getting the worst of it... hmmm, loose outdoor chairs in backyard.... :scared:
Glad I got Pascal to bring the washing in off the patio thingy this morning, even under cover it would've got wet or blown away.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 7:21 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

3pm report from Subiaco.
It looks like England outside (and ive had enough of it already )
Its gone grey, pretty dark and is pissing it down, nowhere near as hard as yesterday yet though and there doesnt seem to be much wind to go with it.
Which is good in some respects but might mean it will linger around for a while...
Im trying to train for the City to Surf run on the 28th, and the prospect of going out in this isn't exactly filling me with joy.

Steve
SES have just been here, they have gone off to get harness' to climb over our roof to get to the guttering, Very very brave people.

Looks like you are getting more rain in Perth at the mo but we are getting higher winds.

Kala
Old Aug 17th 2005, 7:24 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
Report from Maddington (near Armadale, sort of)

Peeing it down, not as bad as yesterday(road was a river), and not as dark(street lights went on is some spots).

But we're not getting the worst of it, as you can see on the radar loop:
http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR123.loop.shtml

Looks like our house (mt Hawhorn) is getting the worst of it... hmmm, loose outdoor chairs in backyard.... :scared:
Glad I got Pascal to bring the washing in off the patio thingy this morning, even under cover it would've got wet or blown away.
it's dark, windy, cold and pissing down in Mirrabooka, with the worse to come,

good enough reason for me to start heading off home.....
Old Aug 17th 2005, 7:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I don't remember seeing any "Sheep warnings" before the storms back in Sussex.........hope they are all wearing their woolies......
====================================
WESTERN AUSTRALIA REGIONAL OFFICE

WARNING FOR SHEEP FARMERS
Issued at 4:30 am WST on Wednesday, 17 August 2005

Sheep farmers in the Southwest Land Division are warned that the passage of a strong cold front today and tonight will be accompanied with showers and squally winds. Cold and showery conditions should follow the front through to Thursday morning. There is a serious risk of sheep or lamb losses.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 7:47 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

I hadn't heard anything about yesterday. Did someone say you'd had a tornado? Hope you guys manage to stay safe and don suffer too much damage.

Anne
Old Aug 17th 2005, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
No doubt my power will go off again at some point and i wont be able to get on here, already had to call the SES out, massive bit of guttering that came loose in yesterdays wind and was fixed this morning is now off again, hanging and banging in the wind, if it comes off it will go onto main CDB street and it is about 20 meters long so SES are gonna see if they can lasoo it.

I'd honestly say the wind is stronger than the 2nd storm that hit sussex, in that one my sisters classroom (school hut) roof was blown away so this is definately gonna be a bit hairy.

Have taken down all exterior lighting and put all garden furniture away, closed all windows and blinds so if the windows do go the blinds should stop some of the flying glass. dont really know what else can be done but I can asure you that I will not being goin near the bathrooms this afternoon, far too scary in there.

Keep us updated of how it is in Perth and down south those of you who are there.

See ya later
Kala

Ohhh you may end up with some new garden furniture eh

Nope seriously best of luck.

How many slabs will the storm last ?
Old Aug 17th 2005, 8:03 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

It's died down a bit here, still raining, normal rain.

Nup, not much wind here.
I think it helps that I'm at least 30 km's inland...

Good luck Kala, hope it doesn't get worse.

Anne: Geraldton(500km's north of Perth, where Kala is) had a tornado yesterday, and some place called Leeman, also somewhere up north,(even Aussies never heard of it...) had two.

Here we just had very, very hard rain, all day untill about 7pm, then it cleared up and got very cold
Old Aug 17th 2005, 8:06 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

I know Pollyanna, the sheep warnings do crack me up, I think issue them more in lambing season so the farmers can get them in to sheds if possible.

Anne, it was here in Gero we had a tornado and there were 2 in Leeman which is a very small town south of here. expected winds here are said to be stroner than yesterdays and more widespread so we could be in for a lot more structural damage.

I'd love a slab or 2 but I am not goin anywhere in my car (rtoo many swaying trees) and the bottle shop over the road has closed due to the bad weather.

Getting lots more rain here now and winds are definately getting stronger.

Kala

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.