British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   SERIOUSLY BIG STORM HITTING BRISBANE!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/seriously-big-storm-hitting-brisbane-847857/)

Alfresco Nov 27th 2014 5:28 am

SERIOUSLY BIG STORM HITTING BRISBANE!!!

Already hitting us here in Jindalee.

HOLD TIGHT!!!

Pollyana Nov 27th 2014 11:36 am

Re: SERIOUSLY BIG STORM HITTING BRISBANE!!!

4 Attachment(s)
First time I've encountered golf ball sized hail :eek:

Pollyana Nov 27th 2014 11:51 am

3 Attachment(s)
Bit nasty!!

Pollyana Nov 27th 2014 5:18 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Used to be a unit in Toowong...

chris955 Nov 27th 2014 5:25 pm

Those of us who have lived in Brisbane know all about extreme weather but wow, that's a biggie.

Alfresco Nov 27th 2014 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11486257)
Used to be a unit in Toowong...

Wow!

Kim67 Nov 27th 2014 7:18 pm

It was huge. In my apartment block in South Brisbane, our apartment was the only one without windows smashed out. Lost power for six hours. My youngest was the at the Queensland Ballet studios at West End rehearsing - the big roller doors to the studios blew off and the studios all flooded. Mr Li and staff ushered the kids (and adult dancers) into hallways and costume rooms and kept them safe. We picked the kids up and it took me over an hour to drive the 2km back again. There were smashed windows and roofs off all over the suburb, trees and power lines everywhere. State High has no windows, it's crazy!

Kim67 Nov 27th 2014 7:29 pm

Kelvin Grove State College is open for business. Somerville House is closed due to extensive damage. Haven't heard from any other schools yet.

Kim67 Nov 27th 2014 7:52 pm

QACI in Kelvin Grove is closed.

Kim67 Nov 27th 2014 9:38 pm

Okay - here's the whole list.

Here are all the schools in Brisbane that are currently closed after last night's storm.
STATE

Brisbane State High School

Moorooka State School

Queensland Academy for Creative Industries

Windsor State School

Yeronga State High School

Yeronga State School

INDEPENDENT

All Hallows' School

Brisbane Boys College

Brisbane Boys Grammar

Brisbane Girls Grammar School

St Joseph's College, Gregory Terrace

Somerville House

St Joseph's Primary School, Kangaroo Point

St Laurence's College, South Brisbane

Our Lady's College, Annerley (but Years 10 and 11 excursion will continue)

Mary Immaculate Primary School, Annerley

St Sebastian's Primary School, Yeronga

St Brendan's Primary School, Moorooka
- See more at: Brisbane school closures | Nova 1069

Pollyana Nov 28th 2014 4:12 am

SIX people have been trapped inside a Herston house since the storm hit yesterday, with police telling them it’s too dangerous to leave their home.

Pollyana Nov 28th 2014 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 11486356)
It was huge. In my apartment block in South Brisbane, our apartment was the only one without windows smashed out. Lost power for six hours. My youngest was the at the Queensland Ballet studios at West End rehearsing - the big roller doors to the studios blew off and the studios all flooded. Mr Li and staff ushered the kids (and adult dancers) into hallways and costume rooms and kept them safe. We picked the kids up and it took me over an hour to drive the 2km back again. There were smashed windows and roofs off all over the suburb, trees and power lines everywhere. State High has no windows, it's crazy!

Hope the kids are all ok :)

Alfresco Nov 28th 2014 6:45 am

Any news on them?

Kim67 Nov 28th 2014 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11486699)
Hope the kids are all ok :)

Yeah, they're all good thanks Polly - I think they thought it was a bit of an adventure. Rehearsals cancelled today because there's too much damage to the ballet studios. The girls did have a little tip for the men of Brisbane though - please consider young girls coming home from ballet when you decide to wander through the streets with no shirts on, it doesn't take much to chuck on a tshirt according to 11 year old girls - they just don't understand what it is about storms that makes men strip their clothing off.

Pollyana Nov 28th 2014 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 11486781)
Yeah, they're all good thanks Polly - I think they thought it was a bit of an adventure. Rehearsals cancelled today because there's too much damage to the ballet studios. The girls did have a little tip for the men of Brisbane though - please consider young girls coming home from ballet when you decide to wander through the streets with no shirts on, it doesn't take much to chuck on a tshirt according to 11 year old girls - they just don't understand what it is about storms that makes men strip their clothing off.

I shall pass it on!! And in a few years time you can remind them of it when they start begging for firies to strip off...!!!