Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

SE Queensland Storms

SE Queensland Storms

Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:26 pm
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all
Default SE Queensland Storms

I can't believe there hasn't been a mention of last nights storms on here yet?????????

I thought the end of the world had arrived at 4.00pm yesterday afternoon with branches and trees flying past the windows of my house in Pullenvale.

So much water I thought I was going to need a boat...........

And my neighbours car will never be the same again........totally flattened by a large gun tree which fell on it taking out all the pwer lines as it went down.

18 hours without power and counting!!!!!!
Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:28 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SE Queensland Storms

Originally Posted by Antney
I can't believe there hasn't been a mention of last nights storms on here yet?????????

I thought the end of the world had arrived at 4.00pm yesterday afternoon with branches and trees flying past the windows of my house in Pullenvale.

And my neighbours car will never be the same again........totally flattened by a large gun tree which fell on it taking out all the pwer lines as it went down.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=573369

G
Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Living in the sun comes with a price
Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:35 pm
ABCDiamond

We were lucky, compared to you, only without power for about 3 hours, and no flying trees. However, I think it was our longest power cut so far.
But the rain didn't even fill the pool !

Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:56 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Just got my power back now, 2 hours after going out and getting a generator :P
Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:59 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Not much in thornlands. Kids were even in the pool for much of it. A little rain but like most storms of late it appeared to turn into the City and miss much of redlands. I think we cop it worse when it comes in from the sea.

Couple of power bown-outs, and the looks like the next block down had a power out for a while.. but pizza hut was still open
Old Nov 17th 2008, 12:02 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear that people are O.K :0)

We were at Wet and Wild and the water was evacuated due to the electrical storm....an amazing lightning display!
Old Nov 17th 2008, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Moggill got battered. It was raining and blowing so hard at one point it was almost a white-out, couldn't see the houses across the back. Power went off about 4.30, not on this morning when I left for work, and apparently I've been informed not on until early evening. Early to bed early to rise means I've peaked too soon. Where's me bed?
Old Nov 17th 2008, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of

We have just bought a house in The Gap, due to move in two weeks. Can't get hold of the real estate agent, just ringing out so no way of knowing if the house is still standing. Don't think I can drive by because a major junction near by is closed off. I assume the owners would somehow make contact if there was damage as we have the buildings insurance cover. Am I right?? I need my mind put at rest. All those poor people out there. The place looks horrendous on the TV. Hopefully, no-one got hurt.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

I was in the driveway in my car in Albany Creek. The car was rocking and next doors fence was being blown over it!! Absolutely terrifying! No power still. Might not be on til this evening. Thank god a tree never fell on me.

Old Nov 17th 2008, 12:52 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by datamile
Not much in thornlands. Kids were even in the pool for much of it. A little rain but like most storms of late it appeared to turn into the City and miss much of redlands. I think we cop it worse when it comes in from the sea.

Couple of power bown-outs, and the looks like the next block down had a power out for a while.. but pizza hut was still open
Hmmm, and my wife said everything was closed when she went round the takeaways !!
That's why I had to do dinner, on the BBQ !!

For some reason our part of the Redlands always seems to miss the most of bad weather.
I've watched it on Radar many times, and almost always, just before it reaches us, it splits in two, with half heading for Wynnum, and the other half going below us.

Old Nov 17th 2008, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louise M
. . . The car was rocking . . .

Oooh Missus!

Sorry serious subject.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Oooh Missus!

Sorry serious subject.
Hahaha, I was alone unfortunately!!

Old Nov 17th 2008, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Ormeau and have never seen anything like it. It was almost cyclonic, the palm trees around the pool were horizontal, we had half of Epping forest on our front lawn, and the other half ended up in the pool. How my other half's car came through unscathed is unbelievable. We went for a drive around the estate afterwards and sheets of currugated iron roof were strewn about the streets, one poor guys front fence was completely flattened, trees were uprooted, it was incredible. when it was all over all the neighbours came out to help clear away the debris off the road, and all they could say was "wow", there was no other word for it.

Last edited by sassie; Nov 17th 2008 at 1:48 am.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 2:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassie
We live in Ormeau and have never seen anything like it. It was almost cyclonic, the palm trees around the pool were horizontal, we had half of Epping forest on our front lawn, and the other half ended up in the pool. How my other half's car came through unscathed is unbelievable. We went for a drive around the estate afterwards and sheets of currugated iron roof were strewn about the streets, one poor guys front fence was completely flattened, trees were uprooted, it was incredible. when it was all over all the neighbours came out to help clear away the debris off the road, and all they could say was "wow", there was no other word for it.
Gusts of 120/130 km were apparently recorded - that's cyclonic.

Over 15,000 calls were made to 132500 for the SES, and there are crews helping Brisbane SES that have come in from other regions of Queensland. Hats off to them, as many of them were out working in it till after midnight, and started again at 7 this morning.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...29-952,00.html
and
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...8-3102,00.html
for the latest Courier reports.

No apologies for repeating in public info bit as more storm cells - which could quite possibly as severe as last night - are expected Tuesday and Wednesday.

Emergency Management Queensland advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.

* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.