Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Insolvencies: MFI and Woolworths

Insolvencies: MFI and Woolworths

Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future
Default Insolvencies: MFI and Woolworths

OMG.

The world is falling apart!! MFI and Woolworths going into administration, whatever next?? Soon HMRC will be citing insolvency troubles...! Lets hope DIAC doesn't crumble!

Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice
Default Re: Insolvencies: MFI and Woolworths

Nah,

DIAC is better run - they take a load of money from foreigners and sit on it for years........the interest they make on it will ensure their survival for years...

Woolies normally have a sorry tale to tell at this time every year, and MFI have been struggling for years.....remember they were sold for a quid?

Twinset
Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:56 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

A mum from school works at Woollies and won't have a job.
How awful just before christmas
J x
Old Nov 26th 2008, 9:42 pm
ABCDiamond

Just to be clear, Woolworths UK and Woolworths Australia have NO connection whatsoever.

Old Nov 26th 2008, 9:45 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Looking forward to Oz
OMG.

The world is falling apart!! MFI and Woolworths going into administration, whatever next??
In a downturn only the best, financially viable companies survive. Another company will buy up Woolworths and it will carry on in some shape or form.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:13 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
In a downturn only the best, financially viable companies survive. Another company will buy up Woolworths and it will carry on in some shape or form.
In the current debt averse environment that will happen to those companies not carrying too much debt. From what I understand the Woolworths part of the chain has become unviable. Other parts maybe flogged off. As we can see with B&B, ALLCo and ABC here is that the banks often just want what cash they can get rather than waiting for a buyer.

Right now cash is king and that means fighting for your failed competitors customers rather than risking more debt and buying up the opposition.

Another example is BHPs decision not to takeover Rio and Rio's debts. Even perfectly profitable companies like where I work are cutting back to preserve cash.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 6:02 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Just to be clear, Woolworths UK and Woolworths Australia have NO connection whatsoever.
That is very strange - you would think they are connected.
J x
Old Nov 27th 2008, 6:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

OMG.

The world is falling apart!! MFI and Woolworths going into administration, whatever next?? Soon HMRC will be citing insolvency troubles...! Lets hope DIAC doesn't crumble!

In the case of MFI, I guess there's a limit to the amount of crap people will buy.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 6:59 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypen20
In the case of MFI, I guess there's a limit to the amount of crap people will buy.
In the case of both companies.....
Old Nov 27th 2008, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

OMG.

I recall in my childhood that Woolies were a good store up there with the best of em. In later years they seemed a bit Pikey for some reason.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I am sure that MFI was a really good company, it was the missing screws and damaged edges that let it all collapse.........
Old Nov 27th 2008, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Toe Dipper
I am sure that MFI was a really good company, it was the missing screws and damaged edges that let it all collapse.........

Very funny Mr Dipper! I like your humour.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

rowdy is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree it is very sad see people made redundant. But Woolies was a shop that sold absoultely nothing of value whatsoever!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

m08l0k is an unknown quantity at this point

It would appear that Dixons/Currys is on the brink as well.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bus...t_Under_%A330m
Old Nov 27th 2008, 8:36 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by m08l0k
It would appear that Dixons/Currys is on the brink as well.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bus...t_Under_%A330m
Another company selling over priced goods with poor service. They never really figured out how to use the web to sell until it was too late.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.