Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia / Flood, Fire, Tsunami, Cyclone Alerts and Information

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Jan 17th 2011, 1:00 am   #1
(^v^)
 
Possums's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: North East Tasmania
Posts: 2,199
Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE Tradie help

On the news this morning they were saying they are desperate for tradies and that they may have to bring people in from abroad but from what I can see it seems you still need the relevant licences (carpenter in our case) even with the immediate stuff, so you cant just rock up and help out then?
Possums is offline  
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:45 am   #2
Witchy Hermit
Premium Member
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 91,077
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RE Tradie help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possums View Post
On the news this morning they were saying they are desperate for tradies and that they may have to bring people in from abroad but from what I can see it seems you still need the relevant licences (carpenter in our case) even with the immediate stuff, so you cant just rock up and help out then?
Yep, you will need the appropriate licences etc I'm afraid. The work has to be approved etc as normal. They say its to stop cowboys making money when they really aren't qualified to/capable of doing the work.
__________________
So when you think of me do so with pride, Honour and Bravery ruled by my side.
And in your memory I will remain; I will forever be within the flame.....
Don't shed a tear for me,I stand alone. This path of destiny is all my own.
Once in the hands of fate,there is no choice, An echo on the wind,you'll hear my voice............"
Pollyana is offline  
Old Jan 17th 2011, 10:15 am   #3
(^v^)
 
Possums's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: North East Tasmania
Posts: 2,199
Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RE Tradie help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Yep, you will need the appropriate licences etc I'm afraid. The work has to be approved etc as normal. They say its to stop cowboys making money when they really aren't qualified to/capable of doing the work.
ok well thanks for replying reckon its a bit off to have to apply and presume pay for licences to volunteer they're obviously not as bad off as we're led to believe. TRA pass should be enough.
Possums is offline  
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:35 am   #4
Witchy Hermit
Premium Member
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 91,077
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RE Tradie help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possums View Post
ok well thanks for replying reckon its a bit off to have to apply and presume pay for licences to volunteer they're obviously not as bad off as we're led to believe. TRA pass should be enough.
If you're interested then maybe contact whoever licences your trade in Queensland and see what they suggest. Alternatively contact the Building Services Authority. I can't advise on it, way outside of my field.
__________________
So when you think of me do so with pride, Honour and Bravery ruled by my side.
And in your memory I will remain; I will forever be within the flame.....
Don't shed a tear for me,I stand alone. This path of destiny is all my own.
Once in the hands of fate,there is no choice, An echo on the wind,you'll hear my voice............"

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 17th 2011 at 11:28 pm.
Pollyana is offline  
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:28 pm   #5
(^v^)
 
Possums's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: North East Tasmania
Posts: 2,199
Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RE Tradie help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
If you're interested then maybe contact whoever licences your trade in Queensland and see what they suggest. Alternatively contact the Building Safety Authority. I can't advise on it, way outside of my field.
this has appeared on Sunrise this morning "Operation Bounceback"

https://operationbounceback.sunrisef...index/register

for tradies to register to VOLUNTEER very sketchy re how it works
Possums is offline  
Old Jan 17th 2011, 10:42 pm   #6
Grumpy Poppy
Moderator
 
cresta57's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Redneck Wonderland
Posts: 9,790
cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RE Tradie help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
If you're interested then maybe contact whoever licences your trade in Queensland and see what they suggest. Alternatively contact the Building Safety Authority. I can't advise on it, way outside of my field.
Just being pedantic but it's Building Services Authority,[in case anyone is confused] the safety thing is another section of the justice & attourney generals dept lol more jobs for the boys

Safety on the brain at the moment in your job eh
__________________
Sean Ò¿Ó.
cresta57 is offline  
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:11 pm   #7
Grumpy Poppy
Moderator
 
cresta57's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Redneck Wonderland
Posts: 9,790
cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RE Tradie help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possums View Post
this has appeared on Sunrise this morning "Operation Bounceback"

https://operationbounceback.sunrisef...index/register

for tradies to register to VOLUNTEER very sketchy re how it works
I thought about volunteering for a week via the triple M tradies thing. I've spoken to some other tradies who have said it's sheer madness to get involved. You have to be licenced & have your public liability insurance so that if there's a problem with any of the jobs you've volunteered your time for you can then be held accountable.
Because of the nature of the disaster these homes will be drying for weeks if not months, rushing in & painting /tiling etc. before surfaces are dry enough will most certainly lead to problems.
90% of my work in the U.K was insurance work, we had de-humidifiers working 24/7 for a couple of weeks before we would even contemplate renovations after a flood so I guess these guys are talking a bit of sense, though I'll probably still fill in the forms to do my bit. Better to do a bit than sit here watching flood porn on the box.


EDIT: We're registered as volunteers, hope it's not going to come back & bite us
__________________
Sean Ò¿Ó.
cresta57 is offline  
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:27 pm   #8
Witchy Hermit
Premium Member
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 91,077
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RE Tradie help

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresta57 View Post
Just being pedantic but it's Building Services Authority,[in case anyone is confused] the safety thing is another section of the justice & attourney generals dept lol more jobs for the boys

Safety on the brain at the moment in your job eh
Knew you'd be a far better source than me, just wasn't sure if you were around I'm more of a disaster round this forum these days than a safety expert anyway, and if anyone has any jobs going could they let me know.....
Post edited
__________________
So when you think of me do so with pride, Honour and Bravery ruled by my side.
And in your memory I will remain; I will forever be within the flame.....
Don't shed a tear for me,I stand alone. This path of destiny is all my own.
Once in the hands of fate,there is no choice, An echo on the wind,you'll hear my voice............"
Pollyana is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:21 am   #9
(^v^)
 
Possums's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: North East Tasmania
Posts: 2,199
Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RE Tradie help

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresta57 View Post
I thought about volunteering for a week via the triple M tradies thing. I've spoken to some other tradies who have said it's sheer madness to get involved. You have to be licenced & have your public liability insurance so that if there's a problem with any of the jobs you've volunteered your time for you can then be held accountable.
Because of the nature of the disaster these homes will be drying for weeks if not months, rushing in & painting /tiling etc. before surfaces are dry enough will most certainly lead to problems.
90% of my work in the U.K was insurance work, we had de-humidifiers working 24/7 for a couple of weeks before we would even contemplate renovations after a flood so I guess these guys are talking a bit of sense, though I'll probably still fill in the forms to do my bit. Better to do a bit than sit here watching flood porn on the box.


EDIT: We're registered as volunteers, hope it's not going to come back & bite us
yes my OH said all of the above, I had my celler flooded in the UK took weeks to dry out with a de-humidifier so know where your coming from but on the news they were saying they wanted immediate help ie lock fittings, security repairs etc not full on rebuilding anyway he has filled the form in but without licence it'll be interesting whether they contact, still interested in how they are going to get around that if bringing in help from abroad.
Possums is offline  
Old Jan 20th 2011, 12:02 pm   #10
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,010
Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RE Tradie help

Perhaps they'll rush through a whole lot of short term 457s and pair them up with reg. tradies?

Abroad also includes New Zealand, they'll be loads of people over there wanting to do this type of work.
Expat Kiwi is offline  
Old Jan 20th 2011, 12:08 pm   #11
Grumpy Poppy
Moderator
 
cresta57's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Redneck Wonderland
Posts: 9,790
cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RE Tradie help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi View Post
Perhaps they'll rush through a whole lot of short term 457s and pair them up with reg. tradies?

Abroad also includes New Zealand, they'll be loads of people over there wanting to do this type of work.
Quick! Look up, there's a whole drift of flying pigs
__________________
Sean Ò¿Ó.
cresta57 is offline  
Closed Thread

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia / Flood, Fire, Tsunami, Cyclone Alerts and Information


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:36 pm.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com