Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Queensland Bushfire Season

Queensland Bushfire Season

Old Jul 28th 2011, 8:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Queensland Bushfire Season

Worth keeping your eyes and ears open....... several controlled burns going on, but also some unplanned fires have been breaking out.

http://www.fire.qld.gov.au/

http://www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/About/

and make sure your bushfire survival plans are up-to-date
Old Jul 28th 2011, 11:25 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Queensland Bushfire Season

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Worth keeping your eyes and ears open....... several controlled burns going on, but also some unplanned fires have been breaking out.

http://www.fire.qld.gov.au/

http://www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/About/

and make sure your bushfire survival plans are up-to-date
I've still not unpacked the 'Important Stuff' box from January ... Reminds me, must get the irrigation system up and running for house protection mode.

We had a fire in the forest last week actually, it's really dry around here, could be a tricky season.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 9:55 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I've still not unpacked the 'Important Stuff' box from January ... Reminds me, must get the irrigation system up and running for house protection mode.

We had a fire in the forest last week actually, it's really dry around here, could be a tricky season.
Yeah I agree, could be tricky this year. its been so dry the last month or so, really low humidity, plus a lot of growth in some areas after so much rain earlier in the year.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 4:40 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I agree, could be tricky this year. its been so dry the last month or so, really low humidity, plus a lot of growth in some areas after so much rain earlier in the year.
We've gone into serious water conservation mode, the indicator on the tank is heading south and I'm not sure where 'empty' is.

I've just cleaned out the gutters and the patio roof, we could do with a shower to freshen the place up.

But I'll gladly pay for a tanker if it means the cricket semi goes ahead in 2 weeks.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 5:07 am
Home and Happy

We've gone into serious water conservation mode, the indicator on the tank is heading south and I'm not sure where 'empty' is.

I've just cleaned out the gutters and the patio roof, we could do with a shower to freshen the place up.

But I'll gladly pay for a tanker if it means the cricket semi goes ahead in 2 weeks.
Doesn't look like much more than the odd shower on the horizon for a while.....
Old Aug 9th 2011, 1:51 pm
Mostly Harmless

Got a house full of smoke tonight, the evening's entertainment has been a bushfire quite close. Might have been choppers in there earlier, not sure.

Good news is that the fireys (firies?) got it sorted quick and that much fuel has been burnt off ... Good job all

Going to be a long haul this year.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 1:55 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

and that's just on B.E.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:20 pm
Home and Happy

Got a house full of smoke tonight, the evening's entertainment has been a bushfire quite close. Might have been choppers in there earlier, not sure.

Good news is that the fireys (firies?) got it sorted quick and that much fuel has been burnt off ... Good job all

Going to be a long haul this year.
Was that the Kooralbyn one? That was looking dicey for a while, and yes I think they may well have had choppers down there
Old Aug 9th 2011, 11:48 pm
Mostly Harmless

Was that the Kooralbyn one? That was looking dicey for a while, and yes I think they may well have had choppers down there
A bit too far south for us, the choppers may have just been en-route then.

Going for a wander with the dog later to scope out the damage ...
Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:11 am
Home and Happy

A bit too far south for us, the choppers may have just been en-route then.

Going for a wander with the dog later to scope out the damage ...
Kooralbyn was big, they were still damping today, thats the only sizeable one I could find down your way. They reckon the smoke was travelling a long way too. There are a lot of small ones springing up though......keep your wits about you
Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

T'will be interesting to see. After last years constant rain, I can't believe it will be that dry.

Always saw on the news in the UK all the bushfires in Oz, especially NSW, and south etc...
Old Aug 10th 2011, 12:32 pm
Mostly Harmless

Kooralbyn was big, they were still damping today, thats the only sizeable one I could find down your way. They reckon the smoke was travelling a long way too. There are a lot of small ones springing up though......keep your wits about you
Ta, I was in the forest today with the dog and it looked pretty localised, the neighbour who has been here forever was freaking out with me though so I don't feel so silly

Cleaned out the gutters today and cleared some fallen sticks. Ran the pump from the dam to the irrigation system and all good.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 12:33 pm
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Alfresco
T'will be interesting to see. After last years constant rain, I can't believe it will be that dry.

Always saw on the news in the UK all the bushfires in Oz, especially NSW, and south etc...
More fires in the UK at the moment as far as I can tell
Old Aug 10th 2011, 12:36 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Alfresco

http://www.news.com.au/scrub-fire-th...-1226112486054 bit further north admittedly. There have also been several near Gladstone, and the Kooralbyn one near Beaudesert. Several small ones in the usual spots along the Gateway up Boondal way this week too.

Keep an eye on http://www.fire.qld.gov.au/ for major updates
Old Aug 11th 2011, 10:40 am
Home and Happy

Kooralbyn fire has flared up again, also a big one near Lion Mountain, Rockhampton.

Couple of new links....

https://www.facebook.com/QldFireandRescueService
and
http://twitter.com/#!/QldFire

Worth monitoring if in a bushfire area. Both official sites - the Department has finally given the OK to social media accounts

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 11th 2011 at 10:48 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.