Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Now the fire bans over......

Now the fire bans over......

Old Jun 5th 2005, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now the fire bans over......

Originally Posted by hevs
I do have a serious question though, is there a law on how big/ much smoke your fire makes? I've just been out to it and its going off. I 've tryed to somther it in that "wandering jew" stuff as the pile of that which we pulled out over the w/e is nearly as big as me. and a load of sawdust and grass cuttings and the fires lovin it. (don't panick though its safe!)
We have bonfire information leaflets sent with our rates bill. Dates of fire bans, firebreak officers,etc. Also recommendations about building the fire (pretty sure it also tells you NOT to use petrol for starting it!!). Following the council guidelines, we have dug a bonfire pit, about 12 inches deep, a metre across. The sand that is dug out is left to form a wall around three edges, leaving an open side for access with a wheelbarrow. The sand can be used to smother the flames, but they also suggest you keep a hosepipe nearby. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one to struggle getting a bonfire alight, always have to call on hubby for that. At least I've mastered the art of starting the wood fire indoors now though, otherwise it would be freezing indoors come winter.

Be aware that the bonfire will smoulder for days, even weeks afterwards, even though you think it's "gone out". At the end of the bonfire season last year, just before summer, we burnt off our last lot of wood/rubbish over a weekend. Then doused it with gallons of water. The following morning flames were licking up again. Shovelled sand on it and doused with more water. Next day big holes have appeared in the sand where the heat is coming through and it smells awful. Yet more sand added, and hosepipe left running for a few hours, but still the damn thing carried on burning. With bonfires only permitted for a few days longer, I was keen to get the thing to go out, before some neighbour went and reported us. I spent a whole day going backwards and forwards to the pit, chucking a bit more sand where there was rising smoke, repositioning the hosepipe which was left running most of the day, until finally it started cooling down. No wonder bushfires start so easily, no doubt camp fires are "put out" by careful picnickers, only to start up again hours later. I have also managed to restart a bonfire by chucking weeds and rubbish into a pit which hadn't been used for a couple of weeks, yet there was enough heat still in there to get the flames going again when dried leaves were thrown in.

Having met you two in Rockingham a couple of years back, I could picture you in your panic following the petrol explosion! Hope the hair grows back ok! Couldn't help remembering the day some 35 years ago when my mum couldn't get the gas oven to start, the gas had obviously been hissing out for some time while she pressed the ignition button to no avail, so she decided to take a match to it BOOM! mum was now minus fringe, eyebrows and forearm hair and the smell was awful!
Old Jun 6th 2005, 1:12 am
Badge

Originally Posted by Jacqui
We have bonfire information leaflets sent with our rates bill. Dates of fire bans, firebreak officers,etc. Also recommendations about building the fire (pretty sure it also tells you NOT to use petrol for starting it!!). Following the council guidelines, we have dug a bonfire pit, about 12 inches deep, a metre across. The sand that is dug out is left to form a wall around three edges, leaving an open side for access with a wheelbarrow. The sand can be used to smother the flames, but they also suggest you keep a hosepipe nearby. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one to struggle getting a bonfire alight, always have to call on hubby for that. At least I've mastered the art of starting the wood fire indoors now though, otherwise it would be freezing indoors come winter.

Be aware that the bonfire will smoulder for days, even weeks afterwards, even though you think it's "gone out". At the end of the bonfire season last year, just before summer, we burnt off our last lot of wood/rubbish over a weekend. Then doused it with gallons of water. The following morning flames were licking up again. Shovelled sand on it and doused with more water. Next day big holes have appeared in the sand where the heat is coming through and it smells awful. Yet more sand added, and hosepipe left running for a few hours, but still the damn thing carried on burning. With bonfires only permitted for a few days longer, I was keen to get the thing to go out, before some neighbour went and reported us. I spent a whole day going backwards and forwards to the pit, chucking a bit more sand where there was rising smoke, repositioning the hosepipe which was left running most of the day, until finally it started cooling down. No wonder bushfires start so easily, no doubt camp fires are "put out" by careful picnickers, only to start up again hours later. I have also managed to restart a bonfire by chucking weeds and rubbish into a pit which hadn't been used for a couple of weeks, yet there was enough heat still in there to get the flames going again when dried leaves were thrown in.

Having met you two in Rockingham a couple of years back, I could picture you in your panic following the petrol explosion! Hope the hair grows back ok! Couldn't help remembering the day some 35 years ago when my mum couldn't get the gas oven to start, the gas had obviously been hissing out for some time while she pressed the ignition button to no avail, so she decided to take a match to it BOOM! mum was now minus fringe, eyebrows and forearm hair and the smell was awful!
it's quite common to get ground fires - my burn off left 12 inch holes in my paddock. So much for all the grass to grow back. I was paronoid - the last thing I need is to get the ''galah'' award from my station for having to call out my own to put out a fire of my own making - it gets awarded annually.

Hevs mate, I was not available as some enterprising bod set fire to his trees out front. We were about to leave to pop down the bottle-o
when my pager went - the Chief of Staff laughed to see me squeezing my yellows on over all my clothes. With my structure jacket on too I was sweating like a bastard. The fire was around the corner so I drove direct - so was first on scene - incident controller :-0

I dragged a neighbours hose over the fence just in time for the calvary to arrive.

Top tip o not burn off c. tea time, your local fire service is sipping their first wine or beer and may well decide not to bother turn out. One of the girls left her stove on in her rush to get to the station.....the galah award beckons..

badge

Old Jun 6th 2005, 1:19 am
Badge

Originally Posted by Jacqui

it's quite common to get ground fires - my burn off left 12 inch holes in my paddock. So much for all the grass to grow back. I was paronoid - the last thing I need is to get the ''galah'' award from my station for having to call out my own to put out a fire of my own making - it gets awarded annually.

Hevs mate, I was not available as some enterprising bod set fire to his trees out front. We were about to leave to pop down the bottle-o
when my pager went - the Chief of Staff laughed to see me squeezing my yellows on over all my clothes. With my structure jacket on too I was sweating like a bastard. The fire was around the corner so I drove direct - so was first on scene - incident controller :-0

I dragged a neighbours hose over the fence just in time for the calvary to arrive.

Top tip : Do not burn off c. tea time, your local fire service is sipping their first wine or beer and may well decide not to bother turn out. One of the girls left her stove on in her rush to get to the station.....the galah award beckons..

badge