British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Now the fire bans over...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/now-fire-bans-over-306846/)

hevs Jun 4th 2005 2:03 pm

Now the fire bans over......

And i havn't done one of these for a while (a stupid dooozy that is!!) mainly cos i've been working and not being quite so stupid, but today i was!!

Picture the scene....

We spend weeks moving about 50 tonnes of wood from the bottom of our garden that the kind council men dropped over the fence (about a year ago, but i can't find the thread) This task has been gargantuan and has left us with a pile of crap where our lawn used to be.

So i decided to do the right thing as it was autumn, and build a bonfire..... ( i have even got my slippers on to add to the authenticity)

I was very careful and did it all properly with layers of paper, dry stuff etc. Anyways the paper kept blowing out and i got impatient ( :rolleyes: ) and asked HUP if he would kindly place a bit of petrol on the pile. His idea of a bit was about a bowser's worth, but he stood well back and put the can well out of the way.

I light my trusty bit of paper and bend down to put the flame to a bit of paper, quite forgetting that i didn't have to shelter the flame as i had been doing previously.

There was a resounding WOOOOMMMPHHH noise and a great deal of heat up my left side. I realised straight away that my arm was now a depilatory dream and was as smooth as the proverbial babies but. What i didn't realise till a short while ago was that the left side of my hair is all singed and is breaking off and so are my eyelashes, i look ferkin ridiculous.

Oh well, could be much worse i suppose :scared:

Bordy Jun 4th 2005 2:07 pm

Re: Now the fire bans over......

As soon as I read petrol I put my head in my hands & thought Ohhhh s**t. :D

tiredwithtwins Jun 4th 2005 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bordy

me too!!! pmsl!!!!!! hevs, you are an absolute treasure!!!!!

my kids think im barmy cos im just howling with laughter! - you should write a book............. :D :D :D

ps, remember reading the logs thread.....wasnt it around the time of the chainsaw thread or is that one and the same??? :D

Merlot Jun 4th 2005 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by hevs
And i havn't done one of these for a while (a stupid dooozy that is!!) mainly cos i've been working and not being quite so stupid, but today i was!!

Picture the scene....

We spend weeks moving about 50 tonnes of wood from the bottom of our garden that the kind council men dropped over the fence (about a year ago, but i can't find the thread) This task has been gargantuan and has left us with a pile of crap where our lawn used to be.

So i decided to do the right thing as it was autumn, and build a bonfire..... ( i have even got my slippers on to add to the authenticity)

I was very careful and did it all properly with layers of paper, dry stuff etc. Anyways the paper kept blowing out and i got impatient ( :rolleyes: ) and asked HUP if he would kindly place a bit of petrol on the pile. His idea of a bit was about a bowser's worth, but he stood well back and put the can well out of the way.

I light my trusty bit of paper and bend down to put the flame to a bit of paper, quite forgetting that i didn't have to shelter the flame as i had been doing previously.

There was a resounding WOOOOMMMPHHH noise and a great deal of heat up my left side. I realised straight away that my arm was now a depilatory dream and was as smooth as the proverbial babies but. What i didn't realise till a short while ago was that the left side of my hair is all singed and is breaking off and so are my eyelashes, i look ferkin ridiculous.

Hope the hairs grow back soon :scared: :scared:

You could always join the south of England with their water restrictions, I thought I had left all that in Oz!

M :)

moneypenny20 Jun 4th 2005 2:41 pm

Picture the scene....

From hubby (the fireman) "Dozy Cow" :D Good job you're in the trade - presumably you can get a free hair makeover :D Might give the mascara a holiday for a few weeks though.

Pollyana Jun 4th 2005 2:52 pm

OMG, what idiot let you loose with a match! :scared: And as for HUP - he should know better than aid you in such exploits!!
You won't be a good advert for the salon this week will you, they'll probably make you wear a bag over your head! :eek:

tonyk38 Jun 4th 2005 4:06 pm

Blimey Hevs! :eek: :D

Glad to hear you're not toast; take care. :)

JayDeee Jun 4th 2005 6:15 pm

Picture the scene....

I know deisel is a bit more expensive but give that a go next time ya crazy chick.

Glad you are still alive
Kala

Bed Of Roses Jun 4th 2005 8:20 pm

Holly Poo Thought you Oxfordshore bumpkins would ave known better than dat ooooww aaarrrrr :p

Did the very same thing with my dads old wood burning heater for his green house worse cos it was enclosed and the woooooohhhhhppppp was directed straight at my head i didnt even get close with the naked flame.

Frightend the ship out of me aint played with petrol since, and Woooooohhhhhhppppppp is a realy good discription of the sound and the smell of singed hair mmmmm lovely eu de farier.

Fizz laughed until her sides split :D

Glad Ur Ok H.

Bed Of Roses Jun 4th 2005 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
me too!!! pmsl!!!!!! hevs, you are an absolute treasure!!!!!

my kids think im barmy cos im just howling with laughter! - you should write a book............. :D :D :D

ps, remember reading the logs thread.....wasnt it around the time of the chainsaw thread or is that one and the same??? :D

And dont for get the renovations with the little puff of smoke comming from between the timbers......:D

Still chuckle now ;)

The Bloke Jun 4th 2005 9:10 pm

Picture the scene....

DOH!!!

In hindsight it might have been easier to get the chainsaw operating. Next time maybe? :D

Kerosene is far better than petrol for assisting the starting of fires, less explosive gases.

I see you've dropped the Bombers as your avatar. Your team doing better? Glad to hear you're alright though. :beer:

HUP Jun 4th 2005 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Bordy

We were sat indoors watching the slaughter (I mean the Bombers V Ade :D ). We began discussing the incident and I said it was a prime case for a BE thread.

It still brings a smile to my face as I recall the red and orange petals of flame blossoming out towards Hev as she dances away from it. It wasn't that poetic belieive me :D.

The Bloke Jun 4th 2005 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by HUP
We were sat indoors watching the slaughter (I mean the Bombers V Ade :D ). We began discussing the incident and I said it was a prime case for a BE thread.

It still brings a smile to my face as I recall the red and orange petals of flame blossoming out towards Hev as she dances away from it. It wasn't that poetic belieive me :D.

What the bombers getting thrashed or the fire? :D

I know. Saw dad light a fire once with what said on the can "kero" but was actually petrol. Flame shot out around his ankles, but he was about seven feet away when it ignited. :scared: Made him jump.

hevs Jun 4th 2005 11:31 pm

Poll, it started here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...4&page=6&pp=15
:rolleyes:

Thanks guys, glad i made you giggle, i just gave my face a good scrub and i'm now missing a few eyebrows too:(

Pollyana Jun 5th 2005 6:31 am

Poll, it started here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...4&page=6&pp=15
:rolleyes:

Thanks guys, glad i made you giggle, i just gave my face a good scrub and i'm now missing a few eyebrows too:(

Tee hee, that Sludger doesn't know you too well then Hevs! You with a strap-on.....hmmmm..what an image.... :scared: :scared:

How are the eyebrows?? :rolleyes: