Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (461) Visa - Same Sex married couple

New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (461) Visa - Same Sex married couple

Old Oct 14th 2017, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

bubblegumcowboy has much to be proud ofbubblegumcowboy has much to be proud ofbubblegumcowboy has much to be proud ofbubblegumcowboy has much to be proud ofbubblegumcowboy has much to be proud ofbubblegumcowboy has much to be proud ofbubblegumcowboy has much to be proud ofbubblegumcowboy has much to be proud ofbubblegumcowboy has much to be proud ofbubblegumcowboy has much to be proud ofbubblegumcowboy has much to be proud of
Default New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (461) Visa - Same Sex married couple

Hello,

I married my husband in December 2016 in New Zealand, and we are planning to move to Australia in 2018. We are putting my visa application together and getting the various evidence together.

We are a same-sex couple I am a British Citizen and my husband in a New Zealand national.

We are using the New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (subclass 461) visa (form 147).

Has anyone else completed the subclass 461 visa and what evidence did you submit to support the application together with the Marriage Certificate.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Last edited by bubblegumcowboy; Oct 14th 2017 at 8:39 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (461) Visa - Same Sex married couple

Well apart from all the required stuff like medicals and police certificates, the evidence we provided was

-Previous tenancy agreement
-Mail addressed to both of us at the same address
-Flight bookings for the last few years of holidays together
-Marriage certificate
-3 pages of photos, arranged in a contact sheet layout. So about 9 photos per page showing us together.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 5:43 am
Just Joined

bubblegumcowboy has much to be proud ofbubblegumcowboy has much to be proud ofbubblegumcowboy has much to be proud ofbubblegumcowboy has much to be proud ofbubblegumcowboy has much to be proud ofbubblegumcowboy has much to be proud ofbubblegumcowboy has much to be proud ofbubblegumcowboy has much to be proud ofbubblegumcowboy has much to be proud ofbubblegumcowboy has much to be proud ofbubblegumcowboy has much to be proud of
Default Re: New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (461) Visa - Same Sex married couple

Originally Posted by sr71
Well apart from all the required stuff like medicals and police certificates, the evidence we provided was

-Previous tenancy agreement
-Mail addressed to both of us at the same address
-Flight bookings for the last few years of holidays together
-Marriage certificate
-3 pages of photos, arranged in a contact sheet layout. So about 9 photos per page showing us together.
Thanks for responding.

Did you also get letters (legally stamped or not) from friends and family confirming the relationship was genuine and lasting?

How long did your visa take to process?
Old Oct 18th 2017, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

No, nothing like that. I haven’t deleted anything from my Hotmail account so had bookings for several years of holidays together. Then also the photos that matched these so I think it was obvious we were genuine.

The processing time was very quick, about 8 weeks, surprised the site quotes a much longer time.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just to add, we applied whilst in Australia, my wife was just entered on her British passport. We then applied for the 461 visa and she was automatically given a bridging visa until it was approved
Old Oct 21st 2017, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sr71
Just to add, we applied whilst in Australia, my wife was just entered on her British passport. We then applied for the 461 visa and she was automatically given a bridging visa until it was approved
Thanks for the info, very useful. We are applying in the U.K
Old Oct 30th 2017, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

sofarsogood00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Showing that each of you is the beneficiary of the others Will. This impressed the case officer when I applied for my wife. Letters from family. Previous flight documents and holiday hotel booking together.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

great, we can get copies of our wills and include them
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Lightbulb Re: New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (461) Visa - Same Sex married couple

Originally Posted by bubblegumcowboy
Hello,

I married my husband in December 2016 in New Zealand, and we are planning to move to Australia in 2018. We are putting my visa application together and getting the various evidence together.

We are a same-sex couple I am a British Citizen and my husband in a New Zealand national.

We are using the New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (subclass 461) visa (form 147).

Has anyone else completed the subclass 461 visa and what evidence did you submit to support the application together with the Marriage Certificate.

Any advice would be greatly received.

UPDATE:

We received notification from the London Office on 19 June 2018 and they requested my Police Check certificate, which we have just emailed back to them.

We submitted my 461 Visa Application on 11 December 2017.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

**another update**

My visa is a was granted on 10 July 2018, this was about 28 days after being asked to provide the Police Check.

After submitting the Visa in December 2017 it took about 7 months through the London Embassy.

We plan to be in Australia by November 2018.
Old Jul 25th 2018, 2:38 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations. I hope you have a very happy life together in Australia.

Where are you planning on heading?
Old Jul 25th 2018, 5:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin
Congratulations. I hope you have a very happy life together in Australia.

Where are you planning on heading?
Thank you. We are heading to Melbourne.
Old Mar 3rd 2019, 7:07 am
Just Joined

remy14 is an unknown quantity at this point

**another update**

My visa is a was granted on 10 July 2018, this was about 28 days after being asked to provide the Police Check.

After submitting the Visa in December 2017 it took about 7 months through the London Embassy.

We plan to be in Australia by November 2018.
Hi CONGRATULATIONS! How was the move. We are a same sex couple moving end of this month, curious with how the move was for you ? We are coming from the UK, partner is from Christchurch new zealand

Dan
Old Mar 3rd 2019, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Hello Dan,

Thanks!!

The move was good, actually went quite smooth.

We we set up bank accounts with ANZ while
in thr UK and then just had to pick up our cards, made the process easier, plus we had money in our accounts ready to use.

We stayed with my husband’s family for the first few months. Being in the country from November meant that the rental market was quite slow and we couldn’t see much on the market that matched our needs. After Christmas a lot more houses came onto the market.
We moved into our own place in early Feb, which was the same time our belongings arrived into Mel and cleared customs. Again, relatively easy process in submitting application for rental etc.

I had a job lined up before we left the UK and husband had two face to face interviews lined up after we arrived. So we both had jobs after arriving was was reassuring.

All in all it was a very smooth process, we settled into life really easy. Buying a car was essential as it allowed us more freedom and can explore, shopping etc.

Hope your move goes well.
Old Mar 3rd 2019, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

remy14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Dan,

Thanks!!

The move was good, actually went quite smooth.

We we set up bank accounts with ANZ while
in thr UK and then just had to pick up our cards, made the process easier, plus we had money in our accounts ready to use.

We stayed with my husband’s family for the first few months. Being in the country from November meant that the rental market was quite slow and we couldn’t see much on the market that matched our needs. After Christmas a lot more houses came onto the market.
We moved into our own place in early Feb, which was the same time our belongings arrived into Mel and cleared customs. Again, relatively easy process in submitting application for rental etc.

I had a job lined up before we left the UK and husband had two face to face interviews lined up after we arrived. So we both had jobs after arriving was was reassuring.

All in all it was a very smooth process, we settled into life really easy. Buying a car was essential as it allowed us more freedom and can explore, shopping etc.

Hope your move goes well.
Thank you. So much happening over these few remaining weeks as I'm sure you remember.

Can I ask what is your plan to get permanent residency? That's my biggest worry over this move... Although I know after the 5 years I can renew this visa. I'm hoping to get sponsorship.

You can follow my move on Instagram @dodgerandmr

Dan