Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Plumber & Nurse looking at making the move.

Plumber & Nurse looking at making the move.

Old Feb 19th 2019, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

GavinUK82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Plumber & Nurse looking at making the move.

Hey all

Were planning on moving to Australia in 2020 im a fully qualified plumber and my partner is a nurse. with regards to my partner she is only qualified to diploma level having been in nursing since 2006 degrees where not needed then my question for her is.

Is there a conversion course in Aus that she can take so she can work as a nurse?

My question for me is i have to do gap training and work under a plumber for a period of time do get qualified in Aus. generally how easy is it to find someone to take you on?
Old Feb 19th 2019, 5:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plumber & Nurse looking at making the move.

Originally Posted by GavinUK82
Hey all

Were planning on moving to Australia in 2020 im a fully qualified plumber and my partner is a nurse. with regards to my partner she is only qualified to diploma level having been in nursing since 2006 degrees where not needed then my question for her is.

Is there a conversion course in Aus that she can take so she can work as a nurse?

My question for me is i have to do gap training and work under a plumber for a period of time do get qualified in Aus. generally how easy is it to find someone to take you on?
Can't help with plumbing I'm afraid.
As for the nursing, I suggest she contacts AHPRA directly (the registration board) and see whether there is currently any way she can "top up" her diploma. Never used to be, but things may have changed. Alternatively look at the Trans-Tasman route, whereby she regsters as a nurse with New Zealand's registration body, and then gets a Trans-Tasman transfer to AHPRA. As far as I know that route still works, its just a bit long-winded.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for that. would she not have to go to NZ to get there nmc?
Old Feb 19th 2019, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Luisec143 is an unknown quantity at this point

im in the same boat with my qualification GavinUK82, I'm looking at the enrolled nurse route then maybe topping up when in Oz but the new Zealand way may be an option, I'll look into it. Where about in Oz are you looking??
Old Feb 19th 2019, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

We are looking at Queensland as my partners brother is in morayfield there but im thinking perth as not to be in the same state as her brother lol.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Luisec143 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha ha awesome
let me know if you have any luck on the dip front and I’ll keep you informed if I find anything out.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 6:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GavinUK82
Thank you for that. would she not have to go to NZ to get there nmc?
No. You just have to register with them, they give you a registration number and you then apply to AHPRA on the basis of Trans-Tasman agreement. So you are registering as a NZ nurse, not as a UK one. At present there is no requirement to ever visit NZ.
Old Mar 3rd 2019, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Sorry was meant to reply thank you sooner