Media Storm Warning

Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Media Storm Warning

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Does that mean you will no longer be posting death and destruction notices not seen since Noah paddled off
Like I said, damned if I do, damned if i don't. Last month we got criticised for not being psychic enough to see Toowoomba coming, and for not warning people fast enough about the Lockyer Valley. Some of us will probably lose our jobs over it. This month we are criticised because we DID warn people.

The warnings are all on www.bom.gov.au

Nuff said.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:36 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Like I said, damned if I do, damned if i don't. Last month we got criticised for not being psychic enough to see Toowoomba coming, and for not warning people fast enough about the Lockyer Valley. Some of us will probably lose our jobs over it. This month we are criticised because we DID warn people.

The warnings are all on www.bom.gov.au

Nuff said.
What's yer point
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:41 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

What's yer point
We can't win, its that simple
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:43 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

We can't win, its that simple
Ah reminds me of the legion
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 9:03 am
Home and Happy

Ah reminds me of the legion
Perhaps we should've sent you in instead of ADF ....though their liaison officers were pretty tasty this time

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Dont get me wrong - I think the work of Emergency Services, Police, Politicians et al was a fine example of *precisely* how to deal with such an event - and should be commended accordingly.
Good to hear - a lot of work goes into how to pitch the official messages, but as with so many things its usually only the criticism that gets heard

Originally Posted by DadAgain
It was the media salivating at the prospects last night and seeming disappointent at the lack of recordbreaking dramatic morning headlines that I object to.

I reckon frequent updates (& scrolling info bars) with short news bulletins between regular programs would have been enough, rather than constant crosses to journalists stood on streets up and down the FNQ coast that at that time were nothing more than a little breezy.
Agree with you totally. We had three channels running all night, drove us mad in the end with the inaccuracies - how on earth could they be claiming some of the stuff they came out with when there was no way of getting info out of the area. Wind machines were being used - journalists claiming to be hundreds of miles from where they were, and incessant screening of pics from TC Larry - probably in an attempt to make people switching on believe that the pics were "live".
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 9:22 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think anyone in the cyclone zone would describe last night as "ä bit windy". And if we hadn't put out warnings in the media, and TC Yasi had crossed at high tide with a resultant storm surge of 6 metres in places and people had drowned.........you would now be posting that the media should have deovted more time to warnings.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Though I agree that the hysteria in some of this mornings broadcasts with fake wind noise in the background was unnecessary. That wasn't preparation and warning, that was "bad news sells, if there isn't any, lets create it" and thats what really shouldn't happen.
Speaking as someone who was in the cyclone zone last night I was damn grateful for all the work you do And I can assure everyone it was incredibly windy here for nearly 24 hours and not just when the cyclone was actually crossing the coast....this thing was huge
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 9:24 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with you totally. We had three channels running all night, drove us mad in the end with the inaccuracies - how on earth could they be claiming some of the stuff they came out with when there was no way of getting info out of the area. Wind machines were being used - journalists claiming to be hundreds of miles from where they were, and incessant screening of pics from TC Larry - probably in an attempt to make people switching on believe that the pics were "live".
I was watching something today, no idea what but I'd come away from ABC and there's some bimbo reporter, having been told to move to the 'bunker' bit of her hotel/motel/holiday inn, and what does she do? She goes to her room's balcony, opens the door and shows everyone the wind. WTF? Do we really need to see her salon done hair being blown around by wind? Moronic doesn't cover it. Then Anna Bligh appears having landed in Townsville or Cardwell or something looking like a drowned knackered rat. I know you don't like her but all credit to her
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 12:00 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I was watching something today, no idea what but I'd come away from ABC and there's some bimbo reporter, having been told to move to the 'bunker' bit of her hotel/motel/holiday inn, and what does she do? She goes to her room's balcony, opens the door and shows everyone the wind. WTF? Do we really need to see her salon done hair being blown around by wind? Moronic doesn't cover it. Then Anna Bligh appears having landed in Townsville or Cardwell or something looking like a drowned knackered rat. I know you don't like her but all credit to her
That's so funny, cos one of the guys in the room last night looked up and saw the same thing, dozy bint opening balcony door to get her hair blown around and he commented that when he went out for a cigarette earlier it was just as windy in the car park in Brisbane so WTF were they paying for her to go up north to get her hair blown around when she could do it here
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Give me preparation preparation preparation over unecessary, preventable death and injury every time

I dont care if it WAS a media frenzy and huge disaster planning exercise another couple of numbers higher and it would have been a very different story...

lessons learned from katrina? education, preparation, information..... Can't have too much of those three...

Excellent rezult, excellent example of what SHOULD Happen... Excellent government response to potential disaster, excellent emergency and supportive service preparation, good on the people of queensland too...
Old Feb 4th 2011, 12:36 am
avi
BE Enthusiast

avi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of light

When we come over I want to have all those warnings when anything is going to hit. When people can die you can never have too much knowledge or forwarning.

Wonder if its the big brave men who believe we dont need it so much.

Warn me every time hun
Old Feb 4th 2011, 2:43 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avi
When we come over I want to have all those warnings when anything is going to hit. When people can die you can never have too much knowledge or forwarning.

Wonder if its the big brave men who believe we dont need it so much.

Warn me every time hun
I don't have issues with early warnings, they provide time needed to prepare homes for the onslaught of any inclement weather. Txt warning messages have saved us a fortune in possible storm damage to outdoor furniture, sports equipment, even laundry as well as from hail damage to our vehicles. It's probably weird but our homepage is set to bom.gov.au as a start up.
My issues are with media over hyping, to hysterical proportions, the cyclone we just faced. Facebook, Twitter & news broadcasts were telling us that Yasi was as big as Europe, nearly as big as North America. Someone even posted the links to images on the Cyclone/Flood watch page HERE A quick look at those images & we see that Yasi is superimposed over N America & also over Western Europe. The eye is visible as being as big as the South of the U.K. yet if you watched the cyclone track through FNQ as most of us did the affected area is miniscule by comparison to the size of N. America.
That hype created a frenzy of worried relatives in other parts of the world, all thinking that if Yasi is as big as N. America then all of Australia will be decimated. It's very wrong to panic people by over-dramatising things in such a way.
Sure there's a 200k wide path of epic destruction that Yasi left in it's wake & we all hope all those affected stay safe during the next few weeks & months as things are rebuilt & repaired.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Carl Stepanovich nuff said
Old Feb 4th 2011, 7:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
Carl Stepanovich nuff said
Could be worse, could have been CNN, at least Carl knows the country (I haven't a clue who he is but I'm guessing he's a reporter).
Attached Thumbnails Media Storm Warning-cnn-aus.jpg  
Old Feb 4th 2011, 7:50 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Could be worse, could have been CNN, at least Carl knows the country (I haven't a clue who he is but I'm guessing he's a reporter).

LOL. I'm guessing thats Queenstown that's been mislabelled in your pic. Got to love America's knowledge of geography