Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

MARINE TSUNAMI WARNING - VIC,TAS,NSW,QLD

MARINE TSUNAMI WARNING - VIC,TAS,NSW,QLD

Old Feb 28th 2010, 1:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MARINE TSUNAMI WARNING - VIC,TAS,NSW,QLD

Originally Posted by neil248
Hi Pollyanna,

I did read up on it and obviously plans are in place. I just had visions of people being swamped while British expats discussed a rough day at the beach.

I see you are in emergency management, so now understand your resons for posting. Are you in Queensland by any chance?

We live on the Gold Coast, much of which on the east side of the Pacific motorway is basically on a flood plain. The council maps of potential flooding make interesting reading and I wonder how many residents are aware that their properties are covered in blue.

Is there actually a serious risk of natural disaster from the sea to much of the new development on the Gold Goast.
Yep, I'm in Queensland and you're right, that's why I post the stuff on storms and tsunamis - I'm one of those lucky people who loves her job, and a big part of it is constantly being alert to community awareness. (I do post as me though, NOT as an official government source, and any opinions are my own)

A lot of the Gold Coast is at sea level or very close to it, so if there was a major tsunami, or even a large storm tide, there is a possibility of major inundation, and I'm sure a lot of people aren't aware of it, or choose to ignore it and say "it'll never happen here". Large areas of Brisbane are the same, because of the number of creeks throughout the city and suburbs.

We do work closely with the local councils on the flooding issues, as well as with the Bureau, and all three bodies were studying flood plans last night and trying to work out areas that might be in inundated if the waves reached a certain height.

www.emergency.qld.gov.au
www.disaster.qld.gov.au

and the new Emergency Alert system, which has great potential for use in a tsunami situation, and was used early this morning, I believe for a small area of the Gold Coast - other States may have used it too.

http://www.emergencyalert.gov.au/
Old Feb 28th 2010, 1:53 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Sanctuary Cove is a very strange place, we love the village theatre and it's a good place to eat but the artificial feel of the place is amazing, almost sinister with the security everywhere. We keep going back!
Been there once for a meal, food was good but it was like being on The Truman Show.

I thought that marina image of poncy men walking around with cardigans around their shoulders was a cliche ... clearly not.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Been there once for a meal, food was good but it was like being on The Truman Show.

I thought that marina image of poncy men walking around with cardigans around their shoulders was a cliche ... clearly not.
We live on acreage in the hinterland so the place is a fantastic contrast for us. A certain type of rich person must like living next to people like themselves, I think I would rather be poor than actually have to live there!
Old Feb 28th 2010, 2:02 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

We live on acreage in the hinterland so the place is a fantastic contrast for us. A certain type of rich person must like living next to people like themselves, I think I would rather be poor than actually have to live there!
Hello neighbour!
Old Feb 28th 2010, 2:22 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

i'm the local tsunami officer in this town and got the call this morning. Spent the day at the beach doing IRB drills and surfing. Superb conditions today, great surf and superb weather.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, I'm in Queensland and you're right, that's why I post the stuff on storms and tsunamis - I'm one of those lucky people who loves her job, and a big part of it is constantly being alert to community awareness. (I do post as me though, NOT as an official government source, and any opinions are my own)

A lot of the Gold Coast is at sea level or very close to it, so if there was a major tsunami, or even a large storm tide, there is a possibility of major inundation, and I'm sure a lot of people aren't aware of it, or choose to ignore it and say "it'll never happen here". Large areas of Brisbane are the same, because of the number of creeks throughout the city and suburbs.

We do work closely with the local councils on the flooding issues, as well as with the Bureau, and all three bodies were studying flood plans last night and trying to work out areas that might be in inundated if the waves reached a certain height.

www.emergency.qld.gov.au
www.disaster.qld.gov.au

and the new Emergency Alert system, which has great potential for use in a tsunami situation, and was used early this morning, I believe for a small area of the Gold Coast - other States may have used it too.

http://www.emergencyalert.gov.au/
Hi Polyana

When the inevitable happens and every body is in shock will people such as yourself be thinking well what the hell did you expect!

Surely much of the ignorance on the Gold Coast is political and there will be much shutting of the stable door once the horse has bolted given that there has been so much more development since the last really serious floods.

I have to admit that height above sea level did cross my mind when buying our current house but i think it will be a long wait until Bonogin is beachside.

Oh have just thought I might not be so smug when the hills are on fire! Slightly worrying that there is only one road out, does this kind of emergency come under your remit? Like the people on the flood plain I suppose we take a calculated risk and get on with our lives.

Neil
Old Feb 28th 2010, 2:32 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MARINE TSUNAMI WARNING - NSW and QLD

Originally Posted by Wol
Careful, dear - the "nanny" wouldn't like that <g>
As I said above......I do post as me though, NOT as an official government source, and any opinions are my own
Old Feb 28th 2010, 2:39 am
Home and Happy

Hi Polyana

When the inevitable happens and every body is in shock will people such as yourself be thinking well what the hell did you expect!

Surely much of the ignorance on the Gold Coast is political and there will be much shutting of the stable door once the horse has bolted given that there has been so much more development since the last really serious floods.

I have to admit that height above sea level did cross my mind when buying our current house but i think it will be a long wait until Bonogin is beachside.

Oh have just thought I might not be so smug when the hills are on fire! Slightly worrying that there is only one road out, does this kind of emergency come under your remit? Like the people on the flood plain I suppose we take a calculated risk and get on with our lives.

Neil
We don't really deal with bushfires, except for coordinatin the response of other government agencies and departments, and any SES assistance. We leave the rest to Qld Fire & Rescue Service - same dept, different division, though we do work closely together.
As you say, calculated risk, make your fire plan and stick to it if you have a fire - have a read of some of the stuff on www.fire.qld.gov.au for bushfire plan info.
If there was a major one with potential community impact the Emerency Alert system would come into play for that too - see the link above. At the moment it is designed to call any landlines and text any mobiles with a billing address in the affected area. When version 2 comes in (couple of months time) it will work on the location of the phone, not the billing address, so people visiting an area will also get a text to their phones.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 2:56 am
Mostly Harmless

Hi Polyana

Neil
Only one road out of here too, if I wave out me window can you see me?

Which reminds me, must finish rigging our irrigation system up for emergency fire protection ...
Old Feb 28th 2010, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi DeadVim

Wish I had not got so smug about flooding now!!!!!!
Old Feb 28th 2010, 3:35 am
Mostly Harmless

Hi DeadVim

Wish I had not got so smug about flooding now!!!!!!
But at least you won't be wearing deck shoes and a cardigan while you're bailing out
Old Feb 28th 2010, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

My dress sense is even worse so can't really comment.

Starting to get paranoid about living here.

I got bitten by something this week and my whole arm swelled up, the family now leave the fly screen open for the dog so I am terrified of snakes coming in and on top of that I am either going to drown or get burnt to death or lose my mind in Sanctuary Cove.

The other threads on the strong Dollar against the pound are making the UK look very attractive.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 3:48 am
Mostly Harmless

My dress sense is even worse so can't really comment.

Starting to get paranoid about living here.

I got bitten by something this week and my whole arm swelled up, the family now leave the fly screen open for the dog so I am terrified of snakes coming in and on top of that I am either going to drown or get burnt to death or lose my mind in Sanctuary Cove.

The other threads on the strong Dollar against the pound are making the UK look very attractive.
I prescribe daily Vitamin B to keep the bitey things away and to stop reading money threads!

Snakes ... yeh, we've had a few this year ... the spiders have been under palm size though, so that's been a nice change.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Can't avoid the money threads, I am supposed to be working this minute for UK company being paid in UK pounds instead of fiddling with British Expats. The rubbish pound combined with the BE distraction means I am probably earning $2 per hour!
Old Feb 28th 2010, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Think I'll stay down in Victoria - QLD sounds a bit dangerous!

Know how you feel Neil, we still do a fair amount of work for contacts in the UK and I've stopped converting as it's getting to upsetting.

I've been saving up my UK earnings to pay for our flights back and now although the flight has just gone down in price in real terms it's gone back up if I pay in pounds ....grrrrrr!

Still back to the Tsunami warning, hope everyone on the East coast is okay but it sounds like the major danger is over for Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.