Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Insurance companies paying out...name and shame

Insurance companies paying out...name and shame

Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:11 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Insurance companies paying out...name and shame

It seems some insurance companies are refusing to pay out to the poor flood victims as it's not the right kind of flood. Funny, they are more than happy to take the money from those poor people:curse:

It would be good to start up a list of those companies that we know are refusing to pay out so that people can get a clear understanding of which companies have paid out and which ones haven't
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Insurance companies paying out...name and shame

Can someone illustrate what's the problem here? i.e. the ambiguity in the policy. My contents cover with AAMI is very clear that flooding is not covered.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 10:27 am
Account Closed

myrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of light

We have only recently (obviously) started to look into this in greater detail. There are those that cover any kind of flooding - which I was told Suncorp does (?) while others such as QBE specifically state that they do not cover river/lake flooding but do cover flash floods ....
Old Jan 19th 2011, 11:22 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed, it is the policy holder's duty to read it ... we went with Suncorp for specifically this reason ... we also paid a premium for having it and I don't expect to subsidise those who didn't read the exclusions.

Sounds harsh but is a reality, you pay the premium, you take the risk.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 5:51 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

the problem is some insurance companies produce product disclosure statements that are not easy to read or understand due to their legal jargon. Now some insurance companies are saying even though it was flash flooding, it was exaserbated by the dam being purged so in effect it's not caused by mother nature but by human error.

Some insurance companies are bottom feeders. They'll happily take your money but when it comes to paying out they drag their heels and some of these poor people are now having to fight their insurance companies to prove the floods were a natural disaster:curse:
Old Jan 19th 2011, 10:45 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Our insurance company policy is very clear that we're not covered by flood from watercourses.

I looked at the Suncorp web site to see how much it would cost to switch to them.

Guess what - Suncorp aren't taking on any new customers.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

My OH works as a civil engineer in flood-mapping and management and even he thinks the wording on insurance policies can be confusing and definitions very ambiguous and when it comes to the crunch possibly leaves them with enough room to wriggle out of paying if they did not have a conscience!
Fingers crossed we won't need to find out with ours but its not always as straightforward as some people seem to think.
I agree if it states clearly you are not covered for any flood damage then you can't really complain but I think it is more the different interpretations by companies of types of flooding that is causing the confusion here.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
My OH works as a civil engineer in flood-mapping and management and even he thinks the wording on insurance policies can be confusing and definitions very ambiguous and when it comes to the crunch possibly leaves them with enough room to wriggle out of paying if they did not have a conscience!
Fingers crossed we won't need to find out with ours but its not always as straightforward as some people seem to think.
I agree if it states clearly you are not covered for any flood damage then you can't really complain but I think it is more the different interpretations by companies of types of flooding that is causing the confusion here.
spot on and said much better than me

that's exactly what I meant mate
Old Jan 20th 2011, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I am pretty sure when I took out my insurance policy when I arrived here that they specifically discussed flood cover.

It is not normally something in the small print, it should be clear to the policy holder whether they have it or not. Just as people chose whether to be insured or not, they chose whether to insure for flood cover or not.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:59 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Let's face it when most of us arrived here Australia was in the middle of a drought, flooding would've been the last thing on our minds
Old Jan 20th 2011, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

We had some minor storm damage a few years ago, damaging some flooring, front door and door frame. We dug out the policy to make a claim, and found that our policy didn't cover the water damage, as the heavy rain had pooled outside the front door and seeped in - this was classed as flood damage. If the rain had come in through the windows or roof, it would have been covered as rain/storm damage. Lots of houses in the area (country WA) were damaged at the same time, but they must have had better insurance policies as most of the claims were covered, according to the flooring people. I bet everyone in Australia will be checking their insurance policy wording very closely now.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of the people who flooded in Brisbane could not get flood insurance as they lived in known 1974 flood zones.

I compared the councils 1974 maps for the Rosalie/Milton area to the 2011 flood and it was very similar - if slightly less.

Some people up river are saying it flooded higher than expected. Apparently this flood was higher upriver (flood was on a bigger angle) where 1974 damaged more areas down river of the CBD.

Might be something to do with this being mainly wivenhoe catchment rain (ie rain out the west of brisbane) whereas 1974 heavy rain in Brisbane itself flooded a lot of the local creek catchments as well?

Brisbane was mostly sunny during this flood.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Melbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really nice

Ok, well first up lets ask a question.

Did everybody who bought insurance cover last year just go with the cheapest quote they could get?

Well guess what it's buying a product and the cheaper products are not as good as the more expensive ones.

It really isn't that difficult to get a policy booklet and have a quick read to see what is covered or not thing is on the whole people don't do this - they just buy the cheapest cover they can get and assume that everything is covered.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Melbourne bound Mark
Ok, well first up lets ask a question.

Did everybody who bought insurance cover last year just go with the cheapest quote they could get?

Well guess what it's buying a product and the cheaper products are not as good as the more expensive ones.

It really isn't that difficult to get a policy booklet and have a quick read to see what is covered or not thing is on the whole people don't do this - they just buy the cheapest cover they can get and assume that everything is covered.
No, I would not go with the cheapest quote. I consider what is covered and what is not and then take the cheapest quote offering the cover that I require.

It is quite an expensive purchase, insurance, I wouldn't buy a piece of say electronic equipment without finding out what it can do, so why an insurance policy.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I am pretty sure when I took out my insurance policy when I arrived here that they specifically discussed flood cover.

It is not normally something in the small print, it should be clear to the policy holder whether they have it or not. Just as people chose whether to be insured or not, they chose whether to insure for flood cover or not.
About 2 years ago GIO automatically added flood cover to all policies and the change was heavily promoted at the time. I had to ring them and ask them to remove it from our policy as we live at the top of a hill and if we flood you may as well say goodbye to Melbourne.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.