Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

House building - bushfire assessment???

House building - bushfire assessment???

Old Jul 14th 2005, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute
Default House building - bushfire assessment???

Our builder-to-be just rang and asked if we could get a bushfire assessment for them. I've tried the local Rural Fire Brigade, Qld Fire Service, local council (Beaudesert) and a few others but can't find out what need to be done. Has anyone come across this before? Should the builder be doing this himself?
BTW the block is 5 acres of avocado orchard in a rural area, with a bit of bush along one boundary.

Anyone got any ideas?

Lesley
Old Jul 14th 2005, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: House building - bushfire assessment???

Originally Posted by lesleys
Our builder-to-be just rang and asked if we could get a bushfire assessment for them. I've tried the local Rural Fire Brigade, Qld Fire Service, local council (Beaudesert) and a few others but can't find out what need to be done. Has anyone come across this before? Should the builder be doing this himself?
BTW the block is 5 acres of avocado orchard in a rural area, with a bit of bush along one boundary.

Anyone got any ideas?

Lesley
Hi Lesley,
From the Building Code of Australia (definitions)
Designated bushfire prone area means land which has been designated under a power in legislation as being subject, or likely to be subject, to bushfires.

That means that Beaudesert SC or the QFS should know. I wasnt aware of QLD having bushfire designated as it has been considered to moist (LOL) for bushfires to pose a serious threat (as in parts of Sydney or the Blue Mountains, etc).

Other choice is the building certifier.

Cheers
WW
Old Jul 15th 2005, 5:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone got any ideas?

Lesley
If you have no luck on this by Monday Lesley, drop me a pm telling exactly where the property is and I'll go into the HQ offices of QFRS and find out for you (its just across the corridor from me, but I'm not at work today!!)
Old Jul 15th 2005, 5:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, anyone who believes Qld is too moist for bushfires should try living here!
This years first warning of the season issued 6/7/05
=================================
The Queensland Fire and Rescue Service (QFRS) today urged people to prepare for the bushfire season, despite recent rainfalls across the State.

Acting Assistant Commissioner of QFRS Rural Fire Service Steve Rothwell, warned that recent rain throughout the State may in fact lead to an even worse bushfire season later this year, unless there was more regular rain.
“This rain will only encourage growth in bushland that will later provide the fuel for bushfires. If there isn’t more regular rain, it won’t take long for undergrowth to dry out, setting the scene for bushfires.
“It’s not unusual to have some parts of the State flooding while other parts of the State are bone dry.
“As soon as the rain dissipates, as it generally does through winter in Queensland, I encourage people living in or near bushland to begin their bushfire season preparations.
“This includes people living in suburban areas close to bushland, people on acreage on the outskirts of major cities and towns, and people living in rural areas amidst the bush,� said Acting Assistant Commissioner Rothwell================================

http://www.fire.qld.gov.au/news/view.asp?id=1094
Old Jul 15th 2005, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
BTW, anyone who believes Qld is too moist for bushfires should try living here!
This years first warning of the season issued 6/7/05
=================================
The Queensland Fire and Rescue Service (QFRS) today urged people to prepare for the bushfire season, despite recent rainfalls across the State.

Acting Assistant Commissioner of QFRS Rural Fire Service Steve Rothwell, warned that recent rain throughout the State may in fact lead to an even worse bushfire season later this year, unless there was more regular rain.
“This rain will only encourage growth in bushland that will later provide the fuel for bushfires. If there isn’t more regular rain, it won’t take long for undergrowth to dry out, setting the scene for bushfires.
“It’s not unusual to have some parts of the State flooding while other parts of the State are bone dry.
“As soon as the rain dissipates, as it generally does through winter in Queensland, I encourage people living in or near bushland to begin their bushfire season preparations.
“This includes people living in suburban areas close to bushland, people on acreage on the outskirts of major cities and towns, and people living in rural areas amidst the bush,� said Acting Assistant Commissioner Rothwell================================

http://www.fire.qld.gov.au/news/view.asp?id=1094
In a normal weather pattern QLD is considered too moist for big fires like Sydney, Blue Mountains (NSW), Tasmania, Victoria and SA. That's not to say that there arent bushfires in QLD, its just that they are generally smaller and easier to contain.

The current drought has changed that.

Even with the current bushfire warning, Lesley's question relates to legislated bushfire prone areas.

Cheers
WW
Old Jul 15th 2005, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

farrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud of

Anyone got any ideas?

Lesley
No ideas,but sounds a lovely plots,thats what our aim will probably be to build our own,can you keep the site updated of your progress please
Old Jul 15th 2005, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both of you.

I've managed to track down someone in the RFS office in Ipswich who knows what I'm on about. But he's not in the office today!! He's supposed to phone me this weekend.

Fingers crossed

Lesley
Old Jul 15th 2005, 6:03 am
Badge

In VIC, a Firie of rank "Fire Officer" can conduct asssessments as per the BCA.

badge