British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Heavy rainfall - SEQ - Brisbane - Gold Coast (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/heavy-rainfall-seq-brisbane-gold-coast-857300/)

Pollyana Apr 29th 2015 2:38 am

Heavy rainfall - SEQ - Brisbane - Gold Coast

1 Attachment(s)
Southeast Queensland to cop a drenching with up to 400mm tipped for coastal areas

THE drenching predicted for southeast Queensland for the remainder of the working week is set to continue into the early part of the weekend, according to the weather bureau.

Jess Carey, a spokesman for the Bureau of Meteorology, said falls were now expected to extend into Saturday after initial forecasts suggested they would have eased by Friday night.

“We’re now moving into a more prolonged situation, where the Gold Coast area will even see some rain on Saturday morning turn into showers that afternoon,” Mr Carey said.

“If you imagine a line between Rockhampton and St George, everywhere east of that will have some rainfall over the next 48 to 72 hours.”

Mr Carey said most regions would receive between 50mm and 150mm of rain, but coastal strips could receive between 200mm to 400mm.

“Right on the coastal strips, the usual areas which see heavy falls such as the Gold Coast hinterland and the Sunshine Coast hinterland may have some potential for inconvenience flooding as well,” Mr Carey said.

Pollyana Apr 29th 2015 5:41 am

Re: Heavy rainfall - SEQ - Brisbane - Gold Coast

INITIAL FLOOD WATCH FOR PARTS OF THE CAPRICORNIA, CENTRAL HIGHLANDS & COALFIELDS, WIDE BAY & BURNETT, SOUTHEAST COAST, DARLING DOWNS & GRANITE BELT AND MARANOA & WARREGO FORECAST DISTRICTS
Issued at 3:38 pm EST on Wednesday 29 April 2015
Issue Number: 1

Showers, storms and rain areas associated with a trough and low pressure system are expected over the Flood Watch area from Thursday to early Saturday. Rainfall will gradually contract to south east Queensland over the course of the event.

Rainfall totals of 50-150 mm are forecast over inland catchments, with totals of 200-400 mm over coastal catchments, possibly more locally.

River level rises above the minor flood level are possible, especially over the coastal catchments.

Heavy rainfall may also lead to localised flash flooding.

Catchments at risk within the Flood Watch area include the Dawson, Mary, Noosa, Maroochy, Mooloolah, tributaries of the Brisbane River, Logan, Albert, Gold Coast rivers and creeks, Condamine-Balonne, Border Rivers and Moonie

See Queensland Warnings Summary to view the current flood warnings for Queensland.

This Flood Watch means that people living or working along rivers and creeks should monitor the latest weather forecasts and warnings and be ready to move to higher ground should flooding develop.

See Flood Watch in Queensland for further information about Flood Watch.

Remember: If it's flooded, forget it.

For flood emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.

For life threatening emergencies, call Triple Zero (000) immediately.

Current emergency information is available at Disasters and alerts | Real-time official emergency information

Weather Forecast:
For the latest weather forecasts see: Queensland Forecasts

Next Issue:
The next Flood Watch is due to be issued by 12:00 pm AEST on Thursday 30 April 2015.

This advice is also available by dialling 1300 659 219 at a low call cost of 27.5 cents, more from mobile, public and satellite phones.

Warning, rainfall and river information are available at Queensland Rainfall and River Conditions.

Pollyana Apr 30th 2015 6:40 am

1 Attachment(s)
SEVERE WEATHER WARNING
for DAMAGING WINDS, HEAVY RAINFALL, ABNORMALLY HIGH TIDES and DANGEROUS SURF

For people in the
Southeast Coast and parts of the
Central Highlands and Coalfields,
Wide Bay and Burnett and
Darling Downs and Granite Belt Forecast Districts.

Issued at 3:59 pm Thursday, 30 April 2015.

Synoptic Situation:

A strong upper trough will move east into the southeastern interior of Queensland on Friday and then will move off the southern coast during Saturday. A surface trough will deepen near Fraser Island during Friday, with a low pressure system most likely developing and slipping southwards over southern Queensland waters during Friday evening and Saturday morning.

A moist wind flow to the south of the surface trough is expected to combine with the upper feature to generate heavy rain, which may lead to flash flooding, over areas southeast of about Hervey Bay to Taroom to Stanthorpe. Event totals of 50 to 150mm are likely over inland parts, increasing to 200 to 400mm nearer to the coast with some isolated heavier falls possible.

The heavy rain areas should contract southeast during Friday, gradually clearing the Gold Coast during Saturday morning.

Damaging winds, with peak gusts of around 90km/h are possible from tomorrow afternoon near coastal areas as the surface trough develops offshore.

The low will also most likely generate large swells as it slips southwards during Friday and early Saturday, with dangerous surf developing about Fraser Island, Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast beaches. Water levels in these areas could exceed the highest tide of the year by around half a metre on Friday evening's high tide. The dangerous surf conditions are likely to produce significant beach erosion for these areas during Friday and early Saturday.

A Flood Watch is current for parts of the Capricornia, Central Highlands and Coalfields, Wide Bay and Burnett, Southeast Coast, Darling Downs and Granite Belt and Maranoa and Warrego forecast districts.

Locations which may be affected include Warwick, Gold Coast, Toowoomba, Brisbane, Caboolture, Dalby, Maroochydore, Gympie, Kingaroy, Miles, Noosa, Hervey Bay, Stanthorpe, Fraser Island and Hervey Bay waters.

Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* Avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Surf Life Saving Australia recommends that you stay out of the water and stay well away from surf-exposed areas.
* Check your property regularly for erosion or inundation by sea water, and if necessary raise goods and electrical items.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.

The next warning is due to be issued by 10:00 pm.

Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at Australia's official weather forecasts & weather radar - Bureau of Meteorology or call 1300 659 219. The Bureau and Queensland Fire and Emergency Services would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.

Pollyana Apr 30th 2015 6:42 am

FLOOD WATCH FOR PARTS OF THE CAPRICORNIA, CENTRAL HIGHLANDS & COALFIELDS, WIDE BAY & BURNETT, SOUTHEAST COAST, DARLING DOWNS & GRANITE BELT AND MARANOA & WARREGO FORECAST DISTRICTS

Issued at 11:52 am EST on Thursday 30 April 2015

Issue Number: 2

Showers, storms and rain areas associated with a trough and low pressure system are expected over the Flood Watch area from Thursday to early Saturday. Rainfall will gradually contract to south east Queensland over the course of the event.

Rainfall totals of 50-150 mm are forecast over inland catchments, with totals of 200-400 mm over coastal catchments, possibly more locally.

River level rises above the minor flood level are possible, particularly over the coastal catchments.

Heavy rainfall may also lead to localised flash flooding.

Catchments at risk within the Flood Watch area include the Dawson, Calliope,

Boyne, Baffle, Kolan, Burnett, Cherwell-Burrum, Mary, Noosa, Maroochy, Mooloolah, tributaries of the Brisbane River, Logan, Albert, Gold Coast rivers and creeks, Condamine-Balonne, Border Rivers and Moonie.

See Queensland Warnings Summary to view the current flood warnings for Queensland.

This Flood Watch means that people living or working along rivers and creeks should monitor the latest weather forecasts and warnings and be ready to move to higher ground should flooding develop.

See Flood Watch in Queensland for further information about Flood Watch.

Remember: If it's flooded, forget it.

For flood emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.

For life threatening emergencies, call Triple Zero (000) immediately.

Current emergency information is available at Disasters and alerts | Real-time official emergency information
Weather Forecast:

For the latest weather forecasts see: Queensland Forecasts
Next Issue:

The next Flood Watch is due to be issued by 12:00 pm AEST on Friday 01 May 2015.

astera Apr 30th 2015 12:23 pm

Many thanks for all the useful links.

I drove through some heavy rain today from Southport to Surfers, but things seem to have improved dramatically. Just a few drips as I type but the forecast remains gloomy for tomorrow.

Luckily Saturday is now looking a lot better as I am planning on driving to Brisbane for the day with the family... and I really did not want to risk being caught out by a major downpour on the return trip.

Are we currently experiencing something that came up from Sydney or is this a new weather front?

moneypenny20 Apr 30th 2015 12:28 pm

Been sod all here so far. Granted it's rained but it hasn't [I]rained[/]I Don't think we've had more than 10mm.

Pollyana Apr 30th 2015 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by astera (Post 11633294)
Many thanks for all the useful links.

I drove through some heavy rain today from Southport to Surfers, but things seem to have improved dramatically. Just a few drips as I type but the forecast remains gloomy for tomorrow.

Luckily Saturday is now looking a lot better as I am planning on driving to Brisbane for the day with the family... and I really did not want to risk being caught out by a major downpour on the return trip.

Are we currently experiencing something that came up from Sydney or is this a new weather front?

What we've had today is from an upper trough, which is moving off the coast gradually. Unfortunately as it goes there is an East Coast Low, similar to the one that smashed Sydney last week, deepening off Fraser Island, which is expected to combine with the trough to bring a fresh load of heavy rain through tomorrow and into Saturday. It should clear during Saturday morning so your drive back should be ok.

The latest from the Bureau (I'll post the actual warning in a minute) is warning of anything up to 400mm in the next 24-36 hours, with a strong possibility of flash flooding.

They are also expecting considerable beach erosion and are warning of heavy surf conditions.

Pollyana Apr 30th 2015 12:32 pm

SEVERE WEATHER WARNING
for DAMAGING WINDS, HEAVY RAINFALL, ABNORMALLY HIGH TIDES and DANGEROUS SURF

For people in the Southeast Coast and parts of the Central Highlands and Coalfields, Wide Bay and Burnett and Darling Downs and Granite Belt Forecast Districts.
Issued at 9:22 pm Thursday, 30 April 2015.
Synoptic Situation:
A strong upper trough will move east into the southeastern interior of Queensland on Friday and then will move off the southern coast during Saturday. A surface trough will deepen near Fraser Island during Friday, with a low pressure system most likely developing and slipping southwards over southern Queensland waters during Friday evening and Saturday morning.

A moist wind flow to the south of the surface trough is expected to combine with the upper feature to generate heavy rain, which may lead to flash flooding, over areas southeast of about Hervey Bay to Taroom to Stanthorpe. Event totals of 50 to 150mm are likely over inland parts, increasing to 200 to 400mm nearer to the coast with some isolated heavier falls possible.
The heavy rain areas should contract southeast during Friday, gradually clearing the Gold Coast during Saturday morning.

Damaging winds, with peak gusts of around 90km/h are possible from tomorrow afternoon near coastal areas as the surface trough develops offshore.

The low will also most likely generate large swells as it slips southwards during Friday and early Saturday, with dangerous surf developing about Fraser Island, Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast beaches. Water levels in these areas could exceed the highest tide of the year by around half a metre on Friday evening's high tide. The dangerous surf conditions are likely to produce significant beach erosion for these areas during Friday and early Saturday.
A Flood Watch is current for parts of the Capricornia, Central Highlands and Coalfields, Wide Bay and Burnett, Southeast Coast, Darling Downs and Granite Belt and Maranoa and Warrego forecast districts.
Locations which may be affected include Warwick, Gold Coast, Toowoomba, Brisbane, Caboolture, Dalby, Maroochydore, Gympie, Kingaroy, Miles, Noosa, Hervey Bay, Stanthorpe, Fraser Island and Hervey Bay waters.
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Surf Life Saving Australia recommends that you stay out of the water and stay well away from surf-exposed areas.
* Check your property regularly for erosion or inundation by sea water, and if necessary raise goods and electrical items.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500. If its life-threatening please call 000
The next warning is due to be issued by 3:25 am Friday.

Queensland Warnings Summary

Pollyana Apr 30th 2015 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 11633300)
Been sod all here so far. Granted it's rained but it hasn't [I]rained[/]I Don't think we've had more than 10mm.

You're right on the southern edge I think. Sunshine Coast has had the worst overall so far, some bits over 100mm

moneypenny20 Apr 30th 2015 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11633306)
You're right on the southern edge I think. Sunshine Coast has had the worst overall so far, some bits over 100mm

Always the way, I'm in a little micro climate. It comes East and then divides to the top half of the coast or south of the Tweed. Suits me until the tank needs filling. :lol:

SoCalDon Apr 30th 2015 9:00 pm

A cheeky 61.8mm in our back garden since it started.

Pollyana May 1st 2015 6:09 am

2 Attachment(s)
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING - SOUTHEAST QUEENSLAND
for HEAVY RAINFALL

Transmitters serving the area Sunshine Coast and Brisbane are REQUESTED TO USE THE STANDARD EMERGENCY WARNING SIGNAL BEFORE BROADCASTING THIS MESSAGE.

For people in parts of the
Sunshine Coast,
Brisbane City and
Moreton Bay Council Areas.

Issued at 3:53 pm Friday, 1 May 2015.

The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 3:45 pm, very dangerous thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near Caboolture, Peachester, Landsborough, Crohamhurst, Maleny and Montville. Very dangerous thunderstorms are forecast to affect Strathpine, Kallangur, Wamuran and Mapleton by 4:15 pm and Aspley, Albany Creek, Brighton, Lake Samsonvale, Beachmere and Palmwoods by 4:45 pm.

Heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding. Rainfall totals of more than 100mm per hour have been recored in the area.

* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.

The next warning is due to be issued by 4:50 pm.

Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at Australia's official weather forecasts & weather radar - Bureau of Meteorology or call 1300 659 219. The Bureau and Queensland Fire and Emergency Services would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.

Pollyana May 1st 2015 6:27 am

Flood Summary for Queensland

Issued at 3:47 pm EST on Friday 1 May 2015.

The following Watches/Warnings are current:

INITIAL MODERATE FLOOD WARNING FOR THE LOGAN AND ALBERT RIVERS

INITIAL MODERATE FLOOD WARNING FOR THE UPPER BRISBANE AND STANLEY RIVERS

FLOOD WATCH FOR PARTS OF THE WIDE BAY & BURNETT, SOUTHEAST COAST, DARLING DOWNS & GRANITE BELT FORECAST DISTRICTS

SoCalDon May 1st 2015 9:34 am

We've had a total of 243mm over the last two days which means it has dropped 183mm on us today. Strictly looking on the bright side, our garage floor has had a good rinse at least...

astera May 1st 2015 9:49 am

I don't know how much rain has come down but I can tell you for how long it's been raining here: all frigging day. :)

The worst bits were probably between 3-6, I have my wipers on auto and they were working overtime whilst I kept fiddling with the air con to keep my windshield from fogging up.

Still raining here but doesn't affect the traffic much any more - roads look ok and seems that anyone who doesn't need to be on the roads simply isn't.