Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Melbourne and Snow recommendations please

Melbourne and Snow recommendations please

Old Feb 13th 2011, 8:11 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Melbourne and Snow recommendations please

Hi,

We're taking the family for our first trip to Melbourne in July and would like to combine some city highlights with a trip to the snow fields.

Can anyone help with accommodation / location recommendations? Don't want to spend the whole week in the snow, but don't know whether to stay on the outskirts of Mel and travel about, or have a the majority of the time centrally and then a couple of nights in the snowfields?

Can anyone help with recommedations or suggestions?

Also, any must dos for the family?

Thanking you

Jules x
Old Feb 13th 2011, 10:06 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne and Snow recommendations please

Originally Posted by julesandco
Hi,

We're taking the family for our first trip to Melbourne in July and would like to combine some city highlights with a trip to the snow fields.

Can anyone help with accommodation / location recommendations? Don't want to spend the whole week in the snow, but don't know whether to stay on the outskirts of Mel and travel about, or have a the majority of the time centrally and then a couple of nights in the snowfields?

Can anyone help with recommedations or suggestions?

Also, any must dos for the family?

Thanking you

Jules x

You would be looking at between 2-4 hours drive (depending on the resort) from Melbourne.

http://www.visitvictoria.com/display...E022594067227/
Old Feb 13th 2011, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

The nearest resort to melburne is lake mountain, its a smallish place, we have been there the last two years tabogganing.

Its a bit of a gamble waiting on the right snow days, youve gotta watch the weather, last year we picked a fantastic day to go , but i was shitting myself driving up there, had never driven with chains on. I had kinda looked down my nose about the snow in oz, thinking , oh yeah you wanna see it in scotland mate!, but honestly it was knee deep that day!

My sister came for a visit and we decided to go to mount baw baw (that was one weekend in july), lol, wot a joke , hardly a drop of snow, but a lovely drive. If you do go there, stop at the red parrot rest in Noojee, wot a laaarrrff the owner was, doesnt look much, but one of the best breakfasts i've had, once we set off he told us to drop in on the way back as he would make us some pumkin soup, was just as good as the breakfast.

I think the biggest resort is mount buller, never been, but looks expensive for the weekend, lake mountain is within our budget , plus only about 1.5 drive for us from the sount eastern suburbs.

Last edited by Margaret3; Feb 13th 2011 at 12:43 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3

I think the biggest resort is mount buller, never been, but looks expensive for the weekend, lake mountain is within our budget , plus only about 1.5 drive for us from the sount eastern suburbs.
can highly recommend Mt Buffalo Chalet (if it stays open ) worth the drive if nothing else.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 2:23 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mulben
can highly recommend Mt Buffalo Chalet (if it stays open ) worth the drive if nothing else.
thanx will check it out
Old Feb 13th 2011, 11:36 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Falls Creek snowfields are pretty. Also, if you're doing Melbourne with the family, be sure to go to the Melbourne Zoo. It's lovely and has a beautiful butterfly house you can walk through and the butterflies may land on you. The Vic markets are also worth a visit and Acland street, St Kilda has the best cake shops I've ever seen. The kids will love the displays in the cake shop windows and the suburb has quite a cosmopolitan feel. Chapel street, Prahran has up-market/trendy shops and my favourite ever Thai Restaurant, Patee Thai is also in Chapel Street, Prahran. Unless they have changed, you can do the take your shoes off at the door thing, go upstairs and sit on a cushion at a low table. Food and ambience is great. Enjoy.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
Falls Creek snowfields are pretty. Also, if you're doing Melbourne with the family, be sure to go to the Melbourne Zoo. It's lovely and has a beautiful butterfly house you can walk through and the butterflies may land on you. The Vic markets are also worth a visit and Acland street, St Kilda has the best cake shops I've ever seen. The kids will love the displays in the cake shop windows and the suburb has quite a cosmopolitan feel. Chapel street, Prahran has up-market/trendy shops and my favourite ever Thai Restaurant, Patee Thai is also in Chapel Street, Prahran. Unless they have changed, you can do the take your shoes off at the door thing, go upstairs and sit on a cushion at a low table. Food and ambience is great. Enjoy.
oooo - what great advice BB.

I can agree with Falls Creek - we did a trip there in 2009 and it was fantastic, very European ski resort feel. We loved it and hope to go back at some point.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 1:31 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Theres also The Edge http://www.eurekaskydeck.com.au/
Theres the tourist tram (its a kind of yukky maroon colour) that goes all the way around the city, giving a comentry, its free and you can hop on and off. The MCG do tours if you are into sport, and if its rainingand the kids need a run around theres Science works http://museumvictoria.com.au/scienceworks/
Old Melbourne gaol is interesting too with kids.

I would recommend a trip up to the Dandenong ranges and a trip to Phillip Island, but for these you would need a car. Also a trip to the footy

www.thatsmelbourne.com.au lists things going on each month.