View Poll Results: Which statement do you agree with
Global warming is caused by humans
19.01%
Global warming is a natural process, contribution of human activity is substantial
30.99%
Global warming is a natural process, contribution of human activity is negligible
45.77%
Global warming seems unlikely
4.23%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Global warming

Old Jun 5th 2010, 11:04 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Global warming

Originally Posted by Burbage

We have to adapt. It's the story of survival. Those who cannot adapt, perish.
Good idea. We could make a start by reducing carbon emissions.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

So, obviously the species will survive even with a few thousand survivors of the crisis. This is good to know. I'm sure that with modern technology and scientific knowledge we can do a bit better than that.

So you want to control the climate. Who's being simplistic? There is no way at all we can control the climate.

We have to adapt. It's the story of survival. Those who cannot adapt, perish.
Unless I missed something, where did I say I "want to control the climate"?
I don't think we are in the least bit capable of controlling the climate. What I do think we should be doing is thinking more about how we handle climate change rather than making probably futile attempts to change the climate. Pretty much the exact opposite of what you are claiming I said.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

polyama has a brilliant futurepolyama has a brilliant futurepolyama has a brilliant futurepolyama has a brilliant futurepolyama has a brilliant futurepolyama has a brilliant futurepolyama has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Good idea. We could make a start by reducing carbon emissions.
This would only divert our limited resources from the task of adapting to climate change.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:15 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by polyama
This would only divert our limited resources from the task of adapting to climate change.
Divert our limited resouces away from doing nothing and hoping it will go away?
Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:23 am
Account Closed

Come on then, explain to me how you would reduce carbon emissions, given the huge growth that we are likely to see from China, India, Brazil et al.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

polyama has a brilliant futurepolyama has a brilliant futurepolyama has a brilliant futurepolyama has a brilliant futurepolyama has a brilliant futurepolyama has a brilliant futurepolyama has a brilliant future

It will not go away irrespectively of our wishful thinking
Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:55 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Unless I missed something, where did I say I "want to control the climate"?
I don't think we are in the least bit capable of controlling the climate. What I do think we should be doing is thinking more about how we handle climate change rather than making probably futile attempts to change the climate. Pretty much the exact opposite of what you are claiming I said.
Ah, so you are agreeing with me by arguing with me. That's a novel twist.

We learn to cope.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:57 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Come on then, explain to me how you would reduce carbon emissions, given the huge growth that we are likely to see from China, India, Brazil et al.
And, of course, we need a guarantee that reducing carbon dioxide emissions will:

1. Slow down global warming.
2. Not throw the planet into an ice age.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 1:09 am
Account Closed

Ah, so you are agreeing with me by arguing with me. That's a novel twist.

We learn to cope.
As was arguing that your initial "learn to cope" comment was over simplistic.

Take a worst case scenario of the Atlantic Conveyor stopping a week on Thursday and Western Europe is plunged into a climate similar to Hudson Bay.
That's an event of catastrophic proportions that would impact hundreds of millions on a global scale for centuries to come. Just "learning to cope" makes it sound like we would just stick the kettle on, have a think about it and have it all sorted by weekend.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 2:46 am
Demi-God

As was arguing that your initial "learn to cope" comment was over simplistic.

Take a worst case scenario of the Atlantic Conveyor stopping a week on Thursday and Western Europe is plunged into a climate similar to Hudson Bay.
That's an event of catastrophic proportions that would impact hundreds of millions on a global scale for centuries to come. Just "learning to cope" makes it sound like we would just stick the kettle on, have a think about it and have it all sorted by weekend.
You are correct. I should have covered all the options.

Learn to cope or die.