View Poll Results: Which statement do you agree with
Global warming is caused by humans
19.01%
Global warming is a natural process, contribution of human activity is substantial
30.99%
Global warming is a natural process, contribution of human activity is negligible
45.77%
Global warming seems unlikely
4.23%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Global warming

Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Global warming

Originally Posted by GarryP
But they HAVEN'T been found falsifying data.
The UK Telegraph says you are wrong

and two further shocking examples have now come to light from Australia and New Zealand.

In each of these countries it has been possible for local scientists to compare the official temperature record with the original data on which it was supposedly based. In each case it is clear that the same trick has been played – to turn an essentially flat temperature chart into a graph which shows temperatures steadily rising. And in each case this manipulation was carried out under the influence of the CRU.
Source
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:19 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranston
The UK Telegraph says you are wrong
Source
You might want to hold off on trusting that 'evidence':

http://hot-topic.co.nz/nz-sceptics-l...top-scientist/
http://www.niwa.co.nz/news-and-publi...mperature-rise

As I said, the lie is going round the world (in this case to the telegraph) before the truth got its boots on.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:47 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
They are not obligated to have 'a theory that models reality more accurately', since they are not making a fresh claim. They are merely disputing the claim made by AGW proponents.
To dispute a claim is to make a counter claim. A claim of man made global warming and counter claim of no man made global warming. Alternative Hypotheses.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

deleted.

Last edited by cranston; Nov 30th 2009 at 9:05 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

As an earth scientist who has looked at the data, in particular the ice core data i can not find any evidence of man made global warming. I can also say that the majority of actual scientists i have spoken to also think there is no evidence. What people should ask when they see reports is who they are written by and what that persons role is. Many of the "scientists" that peddle this stuff are eactually social scientists and economists.
Most believe the climate is changing. However even this is far from certain. Remember we are dealing with a system that is 4.5 billion years old and we have data for maybe a hundred years and only good world wide data for the last 30. To model the earths entire weather systems on such a small data set is ludicrous. It is more likely that changes we see are not actual changes but more periodic swings.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:11 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
As an earth scientist who has looked at the data, in particular the ice core data i can not find any evidence of man made global warming. I can also say that the majority of actual scientists i have spoken to also think there is no evidence. What people should ask when they see reports is who they are written by and what that persons role is. Many of the "scientists" that peddle this stuff are eactually social scientists and economists.
Most believe the climate is changing. However even this is far from certain. Remember we are dealing with a system that is 4.5 billion years old and we have data for maybe a hundred years and only good world wide data for the last 30. To model the earths entire weather systems on such a small data set is ludicrous. It is more likely that changes we see are not actual changes but more periodic swings.
Do you think you are qualified and experienced enough to make that statement?
Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:14 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Do you think you are qualified and experienced enough to make that statement?

All a waste of time until the worlds worst polluters do something...USA,China,Russia,Japan,India.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:21 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mindblower
All a waste of time until the worlds worst polluters do something...USA,China,Russia,Japan,India.
When you look at it that way, with the share of the top 20 broken down as follows:
  1. 25.94% China
  2. 25.45% United States
  3. 7.35% Russia
  4. 5.57% India
  5. 5.37% Japan
  6. 3.70% Germany
  7. 2.65% Canada
  8. 2.52% United Kingdom
  9. 2.22% South Korea
  10. 2.03% Iran
  11. 2.02% Italy
  12. 1.91% South Africa
  13. 1.88% Mexico
  14. 1.83% Saudi Arabia
  15. 1.80% France
  16. 1.80% Australia
  17. 1.63% Brazil
  18. 1.61% Spain
  19. 1.42% Ukraine
  20. 1.31% Poland

The Australian share 1.8% isn't really of much consequence...

Old Dec 1st 2009, 5:01 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
When you look at it that way, with the share of the top 20 broken down as follows:
  1. 25.94% China
  2. 25.45% United States
  3. 7.35% Russia
  4. 5.57% India
  5. 5.37% Japan
  6. 3.70% Germany
  7. 2.65% Canada
  8. 2.52% United Kingdom
  9. 2.22% South Korea
  10. 2.03% Iran
  11. 2.02% Italy
  12. 1.91% South Africa
  13. 1.88% Mexico
  14. 1.83% Saudi Arabia
  15. 1.80% France
  16. 1.80% Australia
  17. 1.63% Brazil
  18. 1.61% Spain
  19. 1.42% Ukraine
  20. 1.31% Poland
The Australian share 1.8% isn't really of much consequence...
And the figures per capita?
Old Dec 1st 2009, 5:08 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
And the figures per capita?
Indeed. Those figures make it look like Australia doesn't pollute much. However, compare Brazil a country with a population in excess of 192 million and a land mass bigger than Australia and it doesn't quite so rosy.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 5:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Ahh common sense, that's what I like to see. Nice post. As others have said and I've said in the past, yes let's cut pollution, lets find better environmental ways of doing stuff if only for our own health and well being but to say we have to do this stuff in order to save the planet is, in my ever so humble, non scientific opinion, hogwash. However that is my opinion and if others with lots of letters after their names disagree, that's fine, I won't lose any sleep over it.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 6:47 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Indeed. Those figures make it look like Australia doesn't pollute much. However, compare Brazil a country with a population in excess of 192 million and a land mass bigger than Australia and it doesn't quite so rosy.
Because if Aus goes carbon neutral tomorrow the world will be saved? I don't think so
Old Dec 1st 2009, 8:39 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
But if Australia removed 100% of all pollution, it would hardly change the world, reducing world pollution by just 1.8%.

However, if US or China could reduce theirs by 7%, it would have the same effect.

The question is; Why is the Australian pollution per capita so high ?

If we had ten times the population, would it still be as high ?
If the human population was just enough to produce the goods mined and exported for overseas use, how high would it be ?
Anyone got those answers ?

Old Dec 1st 2009, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

When I was at school being educated on the bronze age, god knows why, but anyway, tempratures at that time period were 2-3 degrees warmer than now. Also at some point, iceland was being farmed, something you can't do at the moment.

We tend to forget that our planet has had more global warmings and coolings than I've had hot dinners. Take a look at north Africa, largest desert in the world, used to be green rolling hills and forests, full of roming animals, but changed long before man influenced it. As for the ozone hole, how long has it been around? Nobody know's as we only (20yrs or so) had the technology to detect and monitor it, it may have been increasing/decreasing in size over the past millions of years, especially during large volcanic activity. Yes today's society has some influence upon this and the reason it's so in our faces with government research etc, is probably due to the extra taxes they can put on everyone for producing and using 'enviromentaly damaging products'. This warming phase was going to happen whether we were on this planet or not, it may have just been speeded up by .1% by our productivity. If you were to look at the UK region some 60 million years ago, it was a tropical place with palm like tree's and clear blue waters, and now

Sorry for my rant, I'm on my 2nd bottle of wine, and enviromentalist tend to have tunnel vision, and not a histolic view on our planet. We are scewing it, but are we really scewing it that quickly... I dont think so, we have and do cause problems and need to be cautious, especially on forest destruction and development. Well I have the twizzies as that 3 rd bottle is calling me.....hic

John
Old Dec 1st 2009, 9:12 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But if Australia removed 100% of all pollution, it would hardly change the world, reducing world pollution by just 1.8%.

However, if US or China could reduce theirs by 7%, it would have the same effect.

The question is; Why is the Australian pollution per capita so high ?

If we had ten times the population, would it still be as high ?
If the human population was just enough to produce the goods mined and exported for overseas use, how high would it be ?
Anyone got those answers ?

Australian National Greenhouse Accounts, National Inventory by Economic Sector

In summary, electricity production accounts for ~37% of CO2 emissions, is a ubiquitous input to many other sectors and is coal powered. ~10% of electricity is consumed in the production od alumina and aluminium, almost all for export. Forestry used to be a bigger emitter, agriculture is the second largest emitter.

Compare to France which produces much electricity using nuclear fuel. Nuclear power was banned by the Commonwealth Labor Goverment in the 1970s.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.