Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Yellow Bellied Sea Snake

Yellow Bellied Sea Snake

Old Jun 5th 2010, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yellow Bellied Sea Snake

OH and I found a live sea snake on the beach today...just looked it up and ID'd it as the Yellow Bellied Sea Snake, which is 10 times more venemous than the Egyptian Cobra apparently...and there we were peering down inches above its head Assuming it has been washed down to Sydney in all the storms recently. It joins purple people eaters on our 'list' of deadly sea creatures encountered at the beach
Old Jun 5th 2010, 10:46 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yellow Bellied Sea Snake

Originally Posted by Rainydaze
OH and I found a live sea snake on the beach today...just looked it up and ID'd it as the Yellow Bellied Sea Snake, which is 10 times more venemous than the Egyptian Cobra apparently...and there we were peering down inches above its head Assuming it has been washed down to Sydney in all the storms recently. It joins purple people eaters on our 'list' of deadly sea creatures encountered at the beach
Yeah, but seasnakes have the most pleasant of all snake temperaments. They will only bite you if you severely piss it off. They will often swim up to you in the sea as they have a very inquisitive nature. As long as you don't respond by ushering it away it will just swim off on its own accord.

I went to this desolate island off New Caledonia about 4 years ago and I kid you not the beaches were swarming with them. You litterally couldn't walk more than 10 metres without encountering one.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Yeah, but seasnakes have the most pleasant of all snake temperaments. They will only bite you if you severely piss it off. They will often swim up to you in the sea as they have a very inquisitive nature. As long as you don't respond by ushering it away it will just swim off on its own accord.

I went to this desolate island off New Caledonia about 4 years ago and I kid you not the beaches were swarming with them. You litterally couldn't walk more than 10 metres without encountering one.
Sounds like Amedee Island:

Old Jun 5th 2010, 11:17 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
That's the one. I thought Noumea itself was a right sh!thole, but that island was heaven on earth