Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Floodwater - Please do not drive in it or play in it

Floodwater - Please do not drive in it or play in it

Old Jan 10th 2011, 4:14 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Floodwater - Please do not drive in it or play in it

Originally Posted by HelenTD
I was there for a week in June, and yes, it was sunny every day, unlike Queensland over the last 6 months.
I still prefer it to skin cancer.

Rain that is, not Bognor
Old Jan 10th 2011, 4:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
We were directed across a flooded bridge by QPS as we we're coming home from Inskip yesterday, made my arse nip as I've seen how bad they can be. Officer said "stick to the middle & go slow" Many were just turning around & heading back. Not an option for us as the beer esky was dry & the food one had very little left inside.
Whilst listening to the local radio there was a caller [ABC Coast FM] from Maryboro' that has excellent photo's of a large Croc at one of the ponds that backs onto the Mary River.
We're going to attempt to buy bread & milk, that's like going into battle as there appears to be panic buying at the supermarkets with some women buying 20 loaves at a time. I'll settle for a coffee at the cafe & watch the ensuing panic as shoppers joust each other with French sticks for the last loaf of mighty white.
Good to hear from you. Was worrying about you guys last night. Hope you've got enough beer to last you.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 4:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of this rain is now moving south towards northern New South Wales. Monsoon trough moving south so thats pushing everything further south. Anyone on the border or in northern NSW is now looking at heavy rain and possible flash flooding coming their way........

Heavy rain expected in Brisbane/SEQ overnight and tomorrow, plus the water thats already fallen has to work its way downwards.........
Old Jan 10th 2011, 4:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Although we're getting shed loads of rain we seem to be avoiding the problems everyone else is having, unless it keeps moving southwards Dehumidifier going 24/7 though, very pleased we brought it with us.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Let's hope the BE members in Toowoomba are taking care:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:00 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Although we're getting shed loads of rain we seem to be avoiding the problems everyone else is having, unless it keeps moving southwards Dehumidifier going 24/7 though, very pleased we brought it with us.
Looking at the general pattern, and the predictions, its likely to come though further south than it has been. Certainly they are now talking of northern NSW copping it so I wouldn't be surprised if the Gold Coast is busier tonight. Keep your eyes on the radar..........
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Looking at the general pattern, and the predictions, its likely to come though further south than it has been. Certainly they are now talking of northern NSW copping it so I wouldn't be surprised if the Gold Coast is busier tonight. Keep your eyes on the radar..........
A friend who's a teacher should have been back for work on the 3rd, she's up just north of Emerald but came home for Christmas, started heading up there and got as far as Eumundi, kipping on a friends floor. I told her to get back down here to her mum's house, she's never going to get back at this rate.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:37 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
A friend who's a teacher should have been back for work on the 3rd, she's up just north of Emerald but came home for Christmas, started heading up there and got as far as Eumundi, kipping on a friends floor. I told her to get back down here to her mum's house, she's never going to get back at this rate.
Yeah, she may as well come back - if she can get back. Be a few days before she can get home.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:38 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Let's hope the BE members in Toowoomba are taking care:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin
Not looking good........
A DESPERATE search is under way for three children and an adult believed swept away near Toowoomba, as the city itself reels from a flash flood.
An announcement on the Toowoomba death was expected shortly.
Rescuers were on their way to the scene at Gatton-Helidon Rd, Grantham. A triple-0 call was made about 4.10pm. Details remain sketchy but an emergency services spokeswoman said they should know by 5pm.
"There's a report of a vehicle washed away," the spokeswoman said. "There are reports there were three children in (a vehicle) and presumably one adult."
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:43 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not looking good........
A DESPERATE search is under way for three children and an adult believed swept away near Toowoomba, as the city itself reels from a flash flood.
An announcement on the Toowoomba death was expected shortly.
Rescuers were on their way to the scene at Gatton-Helidon Rd, Grantham. A triple-0 call was made about 4.10pm. Details remain sketchy but an emergency services spokeswoman said they should know by 5pm.
"There's a report of a vehicle washed away," the spokeswoman said. "There are reports there were three children in (a vehicle) and presumably one adult."
Have seen the flash flood in TW on the news - scary stuff! Was there even warning of it?
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:55 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by bcworld
Have seen the flash flood in TW on the news - scary stuff! Was there even warning of it?
Only in that there has been a severe weather warning for the last few days foir localised heavy falls. I've not seen the radar pics cos I'm on nights and was asleep but I guess it was just part of the storm front moving across as I went to bed, and Toowoomba copped it heavily. Other places have had similar deluges but if it falls somewhere where it can't drain away theres nothing you can do at present. I walked from the taxi to the front door this morning, thats 2 minutes maybe.....I was drenched, to the skin, through a waterproof jacket, shirt, jeans, my underwear was dripping. Thats how powerful the localised stuff is. Its so heavy it hurts as it falls on you. I had parrots out the back of the house this morning, being knocked out of the tree by the rain.
Something like the Toowoomba flashflood, we don't have time to do an Emergency Alert to warn people. The first we know is when the rain is hammering down and then its too late to warn them. An evacuation alert, like we've done for Emerald and Dalby, amongst others, is good for when we can see the peak coming down the river, but a sudden wall of water falling and hitting a town instantly - you can't warn for it except in general terms.

If anyone thinks I'm a bit flippant about some of this by the way, trust me, I love my job but I sometimes hate the reasons I have to do it. The only way to deal with shifts like the one I'm about to start is to be totally detached and objective. If the emotions creep in, you're stuffed. The time for that comes afterwards.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:07 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Toowoomba video

Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

And here:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2011/01/10/3109884.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5yNc...layer_embedded

Last edited by fish.01; Jan 10th 2011 at 7:25 am.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Truly terrifying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.