Floodplains

Old Dec 4th 2010, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of
Question Floodplains

Lots of poor people being evacuated in QLD, NSW and Vic due to floods and a few lost their lives in flood waters. Wonder if this will be taken into account for future house building and infrastructure, when I've previously looked at land to build on areas have been no build areas due to the 100 year floods.

It's seems in the last year lots of new areas have ended up under water was just pondering if these will now be added to the 100 year flood maps. Don't think there's such a thing as a flood proof house apart from a one on a hill

As usual price of everything now going up as crops ruined. Wonder if mortgage rates now come down.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 4:48 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Floodplains

Originally Posted by pproehann
Lots of poor people being evacuated in QLD, NSW and Vic due to floods and a few lost their lives in flood waters. Wonder if this will be taken into account for future house building and infrastructure, when I've previously looked at land to build on areas have been no build areas due to the 100 year floods.

It's seems in the last year lots of new areas have ended up under water was just pondering if these will now be added to the 100 year flood maps. Don't think there's such a thing as a flood proof house apart from a one on a hill

As usual price of everything now going up as crops ruined. Wonder if mortgage rates now come down.
house boat
Old Dec 5th 2010, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
house boat
Tsunamis are bit of a worry though.

For more things to worry about see http://www.ga.gov.au/hazards.html

Last edited by lesleys; Dec 5th 2010 at 10:16 am.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:10 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys

what a depressing site, bet their christmas do is a barrel of laughs
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

what a depressing site, bet their christmas do is a barrel of laughs
Work with that stuff all the time you develop a very odd sense of humour - Christmas is great fun, games like "how many disasters can you deal with single-handed before you have to call in the cavalry" or "guess the date of the next cyclone impact"
Couple of years back we ran a duty officer system from home over Christmas instead of being in the office, the south-east corner of Queensland got whacked by a huge low pressure area and I ended up running 40 person teleconferences from our spare bedroom. Gave us a real insight into people's lives too, everyone working from home with background noise and stuff. I remember being in the middle of discussing the evacuation of an island full of holidaymakers and then hearing someones child come on the line going "Muuuuuum I just wet myself" Funnily enough no-one owned up at to who's kid it was
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:31 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Work with that stuff all the time you develop a very odd sense of humour - Christmas is great fun, games like "how many disasters can you deal with single-handed before you have to call in the cavalry" or "guess the date of the next cyclone impact"
Couple of years back we ran a duty officer system from home over Christmas instead of being in the office, the south-east corner of Queensland got whacked by a huge low pressure area and I ended up running 40 person teleconferences from our spare bedroom. Gave us a real insight into people's lives too, everyone working from home with background noise and stuff. I remember being in the middle of discussing the evacuation of an island full of holidaymakers and then hearing someones child come on the line going "Muuuuuum I just wet myself" Funnily enough no-one owned up at to who's kid it was
black sense of humour, sounds like us

a personal favourite is to watch rioters moaning about police brutality when we're all taking bets as to which knob gets bashed next
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:34 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

black sense of humour, sounds like us

a personal favourite is to watch rioters moaning about police brutality when we're all taking bets as to which knob gets bashed next
Yep, similar kind of thing, only thing that gets you through sometimes
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:36 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

Yep, similar kind of thing, only thing that gets you through sometimes
OCD is a favourite mission description:

Operation Certain Death, i'm sure it's used by forces the world over
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:45 pm
Home and Happy

OCD is a favourite mission description:

Operation Certain Death, i'm sure it's used by forces the world over
I bet it is!
Old Dec 5th 2010, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lesleys
They'll no sooner get the new flood no build map finished than they would have to make part a large chunk of coast a no go area...

house boat
Would work well except in the Tsunami...

everyone working from home with background noise and stuff. I remember being in the middle of discussing the evacuation of an island full of holidaymakers and then hearing someones child come on the line going "Muuuuuum I just wet myself" Funnily enough no-one owned up at to who's kid it was
At least the kid stayed on the flood topic.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 1:07 pm
Home and Happy

At least the kid stayed on the flood topic.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Can't hear any rain so that will be me going. To work today
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:43 am
Home and Happy

Can't hear any rain so that will be me going. To work today
Famous last words?
Old Dec 6th 2010, 7:27 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Floodplain????? Flood plains only exist in hilly places. Most of the Central and Far West of NSW is as flat as wotsit and most houses are at risk in times of heavy rain. So you wouldnt build anywhere.

There are so many rivers and tributaries which are the lifeblood of the outback to suggest not building anywhere close to them because of flood risk would amount to having to build 100kms away. Through work today we received a flood risk alert that is valid for 6 weeks.........thats how long it will take the rain in QLD to work its way down into the North and Far West of NSW.

Flood, drought, locusts.........can't win! Part and parcel of outback life I'm afraid.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:00 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Floodplain????? Flood plains only exist in hilly places. Most of the Central and Far West of NSW is as flat as wotsit and most houses are at risk in times of heavy rain. So you wouldnt build anywhere.

There are so many rivers and tributaries which are the lifeblood of the outback to suggest not building anywhere close to them because of flood risk would amount to having to build 100kms away. Through work today we received a flood risk alert that is valid for 6 weeks.........thats how long it will take the rain in QLD to work its way down into the North and Far West of NSW.

Flood, drought, locusts.........can't win! Part and parcel of outback life I'm afraid.
Its quite stunning isn't it, watching the flood waters working their way down by reading the flood warnings, it gives you an idea how huge the country is. I remember earlier this year, some of the flood warnings ran for months till the waters were finally subsiding along the whole length.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.