Flood tax

Old Jan 21st 2011, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flood tax

Originally Posted by jad n rich
200,000 homes

I think the poverty of the people affected too, as I said rebuild your life on $6an hour
They are all "Free" to become Millionaires though.... providing they can stay healthy and not end up in terrible debt just for getting sick.

Re the Flood tax... unavoidable really. Although even I'm doubting the NBN now. I'm getting at least 17 Mb's on my current connection, Thats fast enough to stream most current video protocols live and with the way programmers can continue to bring out new compressed Hi def codecs. The NBN does seem a waste of time now.

Apparently they are going to scrap the very viable ADSL2+ network... which is where the real waste is.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Because it is not UNIQUE to australians.

Most races will do the same, help out, and a small % of all races will also take advantage of the situation.
Never heard anyone claim it was unique to Australia. What has been said is people are showing Australian mateship. After all, like it or not, we are in Australia. Maybe you would have prefer them to say English/ American/etc etc mateship, but that would have been ridiculous.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:14 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Never heard anyone claim it was unique to Australia. What has been said is people are showing Australian mateship. After all, like it or not, we are in Australia. Maybe you would have prefer them to say English/ American/etc etc mateship, but that would have been ridiculous.
I think you're missing the point, they DO make out that this sort of think would only happen in Australia, which on more than one occasion I've seen
Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

The difference with New Orleans was Bush didn't care what happened to it, no votes to be lost for him down there. Probably would be a different outcome if it happened with the current federal government. Americans generally are very giving in times of need.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds exactly the kind of thing the mining tax is for.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Referring to a post earlier about rape- weren't there arrests for sexual assaults at a couple of evac centres in Qland?

Personally, I have found the "mateship" in Australia to be far better and more genuine than in the UK- people are more generous with their time and cash: possibly because the UK is suffering from charity fatigue. What happened in Australia was genuinely shocking, particularly for the people hit by the inland tsunami. Locally there are collections in almost every store, and you can donate online, and people are sending containers of essential goods up to affected areas to give to those who have lost everything. I'm donating a microwave and some bedding. People were so kind and went out of their way to help us when we arrived and our things didn't, due to French strikers, and they went out of their way to help us, when they didn't know us at all.

Now it is time to repay that kindness: a virtuous circle rather than a vicious one. BUT I'd be annoyed if they made it a compulsory tax.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 7:52 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

They could put the NBN on hold. It'll be cheaper in a couple of years anyway.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:35 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

No doubt there is going to be an inquest of some sort into insurance after this lot.

I wonder if it concludes that every household should have compulsory property insurance and who knows may be contents insurance too.

Similar to the fact that every car is insured.

Many people have paid for years to insure themselves yet a lot seem to have no cover at all.

Should they be baled out by the government (us) or told hard luck, you took the gamble?
Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish
I think you're missing the point, they DO make out that this sort of think would only happen in Australia, which on more than one occasion I've seen
Haven't missed the point. I think some people are putting that connotation on to what has been said. Must admit I did hear that silly woman, the GG , stutter and stumble to night, whilst trying to think of a word and ended up using the word unique to describe some Australian trait and I just shook my head.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Never heard anyone claim it was unique to Australia.
Gillard did. Quite a few times.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:42 am
Account Closed

aston is an unknown quantity at this point

im glad i am paying my bit after all they gave me a good wedge a few years ago,a bleedin lot more than i got off them pricks back in the land of grey sky!!
Old Jan 21st 2011, 11:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, they do, don't they. Its been said by all the politicians that have come into work, repeatedly, and it was exactly the same after Cyclone Larry.I'm not the only non-Aussie there, and in the end I complained to our Media people. They seemed to be of the same opinion though, Aussies help each other out, other countries don't, they expect you to fend for yourselves. I gave her a mouthful about how the people of Sussex had helped each other out after the floods in 2000, not that it did any good but it made me feel better.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I'm pretty sick of this mateship thing. They go on as if it's a trait off Australians only. It makes you wonder how the rest of the world ever gets over hardship.

Most Ozzies feel uncomfortable more than 50 KM from the local CBD and yet they invoke this colonial spirit as if it is unique to them. It borders on being mythical. When you ask them what it means they mumble Gallipoli, sold down the river at Singapore etc.

I do feel for the people who have struggled in the floods but I'm sorry I just don't get this mateship thing. It's as if they are saying if your neighbour is about to get washed down a storm drain the non Ozzie neighbour would do nothing but the dinky di true blue neighbour would be in like Flynn to save the day.

Keel
Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:05 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keel
Yes I'm pretty sick of this mateship thing. They go on as if it's a trait off Australians only. It makes you wonder how the rest of the world ever gets over hardship.

Most Ozzies feel uncomfortable more than 50 KM from the local CBD and yet they invoke this colonial spirit as if it is unique to them. It borders on being mythical. When you ask them what it means they mumble Gallipoli, sold down the river at Singapore etc.

I do feel for the people who have struggled in the floods but I'm sorry I just don't get this mateship thing. It's as if they are saying if your neighbour is about to get washed down a storm drain the non Ozzie neighbour would do nothing but the dinky di true blue neighbour would be in like Flynn to save the day.

Keel
I find myself agreeing with you

The media, especially, have gone way over the top with this
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I find myself agreeing with you

The media, especially, have gone way over the top with this
No they always go over the top.

I find it difficult to feel compasionate to those affected when I see it reported like this.

Keel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.