Fires in Victoria

Old Dec 9th 2006, 3:59 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fires in Victoria

Blimey, how scary. Stay safe.

Joex
Old Dec 9th 2006, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

The age (melbs paper) has several picture galleries on the situation.

http://www.theage.com.au/

Last edited by jad n rich; Dec 9th 2006 at 9:25 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 3:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

By the sound of the latest reports they are starting to lose houses

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/incidents/...nt_updates.htm

"DSE and CFA advise residents in the Gaffneys Creek and A1 Mine Settlement areas that a fire is travelling in a south-easterly direction and they will be threatened by this fire.These residents are advised to activate their fire plans immediately. "

"One house has been lost near Moores Road and fire is still threatening other buildings in the Pomborneit East and Stoneyford areas. The fire has also crossed over Moores Road in a north west direction and is reported to be burning in bush near the Pomborneit area. It is estimated that the fire has burnt some 600 hectares as of 1350 hours and is being driven by 35 km winds."

There are also new blazes starting up, so stay safe everyone, and make sure all your fire plans are in place.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

The winds have picked up and the temp has hit 40 degrees here . There have been several urgent warnings including for areas where the fires were classed as under control so it looks like things are getting pretty nasty.
Luckily for us we are the right side of the fires so will be OK but with lightning forcast for tomorrow we are all holding our breath. We are just waiting to be called out to help but at the moment things are still quiet.
Good luck to everyone in the front line and stay safe.
Nicky
Old Dec 10th 2006, 3:30 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyP
The winds have picked up and the temp has hit 40 degrees here . There have been several urgent warnings including for areas where the fires were classed as under control so it looks like things are getting pretty nasty.
Luckily for us we are the right side of the fires so will be OK but with lightning forcast for tomorrow we are all holding our breath. We are just waiting to be called out to help but at the moment things are still quiet.
Good luck to everyone in the front line and stay safe.
Nicky
I was wondering about your family - saw that some places had lost power too so didn't know if you'd be able to post.
Good luck - hope you get through OK.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I was wondering about your family - saw that some places had lost power too so didn't know if you'd be able to post.
Good luck - hope you get through OK.
thanks we are out of the direct problems but we have friends who are fighting the fires on their properties (they took some awsome photos though so I will try to post when I get hold of them). At the moment the fires are moving away from us and Wangaratta is just a command and control centre for the region. I help out where possible with the Red Cross but haven't been needed at the moment, although with the new fire in Bright and the Edi Upper fire crossing control lines this may change .
Generally it is the smaller communities that are in danger and the land here is pretty inaccessible so there is little chance of physically putting these fires out. We have a large state forest area behind our house that is as dry as a tinder and with lightning forcast that is the main worry for us personally (we will be VERY lucky to get through the summer without that lot going up). However even that wouldn't reach us here we would just be watching out for embers etc.
The surreal thing is that once the wind picks up it is as if nothing is happening here just hot and sunny, then, once the wind drops then we get the thick brown smog.
Nicky
Old Dec 10th 2006, 5:05 am
Home and Happy

This one is a really sad pic I'm afraid - from The Age, poor lost looking Wallaby.
Attached Thumbnails Fires in Victoria-wallaby_gallery__470x303.jpg  
Old Dec 10th 2006, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
This one is a really sad pic I'm afraid - from The Age, poor lost looking Wallaby.
Oh well. Possessions are not everything - as long as you've got your health etc etc.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 5:38 am

Hels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Oh well. Possessions are not everything - as long as you've got your health etc etc.

So whats the latest on the fires? I must admit, haven't seen the news. Paul just said something about Jamieson being under imminent threat?
Old Dec 10th 2006, 5:45 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Hels Bells
So whats the latest on the fires? I must admit, haven't seen the news. Paul just said something about Jamieson being under imminent threat?
The link in Post 63 (one of mine to the CFA) seems to be updated most frequently. Don't know exactly where Jamieson is, sorry, but there are a lot of places mentioned as in imminent danger.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
I thought all the hot air was coming from Canberra
I don't find that at all funny

Old Dec 10th 2006, 6:42 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hels Bells
This pic was just taken by my mate in Bright [NE VIC] (he lives in Freeburgh, about 5 minutes out of town) about 1 hour ago.
It is a new fire, started today. They have all been told to enact their busfire survival plans.

Looks like a bloody volcano going off.

This place came soooo close to being completely burnt out with the fires there in 2003.

I feel an overwhelming sense of gratitude to all the volunteer CFA volunteers that take on these monsters. A truly amazing bunch of people, largely unsung heros. Should make us all feel humble to the core of our being.....
Attached Thumbnails Fires in Victoria-freeburgh-bright.jpg  
Old Dec 10th 2006, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help but feel that things were better than expected on some fronts. The Mansfield fire has been contained on the road for more than 48 hours and I expected it to cross yesterday. The townships on alert are still on alert and there seems to be no losses there - I think(!)

I don't know about local news or isolated hamlets!
Old Dec 10th 2006, 11:04 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sasbear
I don't find that at all funny

Only hot air I mean is from government house. Certainly not good folk such as yourselves
Old Dec 10th 2006, 11:22 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by thebears
Only hot air I mean is from government house. Certainly not good folk such as yourselves

Good save there S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.