Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

FIRES! Is everyone ok?

FIRES! Is everyone ok?

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FIRES! Is everyone ok?

Originally Posted by bcworld
Just saw on the news that Warburton may come under threat tomorrow.....the advice given was if you want to leave, do so by tomorrow morning. A friend of mines parents live up there and I remember when we visited they talked about the possibility of fires and a previous near miss one year I think.
Warburton has almost evacuated. There is a fire now in Upway near Belgrave - SW of the Dandenongs. Smoke thick around the house, today the wind change suits us. I think I will take Friday off.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:52 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Warburton has almost evacuated. There is a fire now in Upway near Belgrave - SW of the Dandenongs. Smoke thick around the house, today the wind change suits us. I think I will take Friday off.
I've just called my brother who's in Fordyce Road, Olinda - he says the nearest one is 10Km from him and coming his way. His car's packed and the roof sprinklers are set.

I don't know where this is in relation to the front - is it anywhere near you?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:27 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by boots
I find it ironic that Melbourn'e Heral-Sun can run front page news of "Unethical"Australians trying to buy cheap land from bushfire affected areas,from the highest calibre of people in society-Real Estate agents.
Then publish,front page again,of an obviously mentaly disturbed person claiming that she is a "BUSHFIRE CON"Worst rip off etc etc,BUT
Herald-Sun see no problems of accepting ads,how much money did they make from advertising?of Transportable homes-Special rates for Bushfire victims,"Concrete Bunkers"ORDER NOW.....stopped counting after 3 ads-and to rub it in they were placed in the "Road to recovery" bushfire pages.
It's a tabloid newspaper. I'd expect nothing less!
No it is a business and the only way they make money is from the commercial side ie advertising, without which they would go under.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
My Longterm Italian workmate Carmel, from Beveridge is back at work now. She has started to open up as to some of what has happened. She's been helping out with cooking for the displaced and homeless in Tent city on the oval at Whittlsea football club, where her 3 sons play. Which is helping her cope with lots of awful news about people she knows well.

Both her properties are fine. The Fire came to within one road width of their Mechanics Business in Wandong. All across the road burnt out. Then she told me something harrowing about one of the Doctors from the burnt out doctors surgery across the road, who lived in Kinglake.

He died in his water tank boiled to death. Apparently they are finding a lot of people like this. It's something I've not heard of before. These sights and daily bad news is causing her a lot of problems.

Her Husband has a gun licence, and was called on in the early stages, to shoot lots of domestic injured farm animals.

So the effects go on.

(Shudders) Usually a safer place to be as the front goes over so fast. What a hideous way to go, poor souls.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

That is a horrible way to go. Poor souls.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
(Shudders) Usually a safer place to be as the front goes over so fast. What a hideous way to go, poor souls.

We had bushfire training and were warned never to go in water tanks as quite a few people died that way in the Ash Wednesday fires.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:18 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Is this what has been decided that evacuations take place now?
It is very hard being in UK and worried about my friends in Emerald and Warburton. Friends in Healesville are safe.
Badge, can't put into words the job you do.
Take my hat off to you mate.
Keep safe
J x
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
In our fire safety and survival training, we are told not to use above ground water tanks. Because the water comes into contact with the body you can't survive temps much above 40C for very long.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:30 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
Is this what has been decided that evacuations take place now?
It is very hard being in UK and worried about my friends in Emerald and Warburton. Friends in Healesville are safe.
Badge, can't put into words the job you do.
Take my hat off to you mate.
Keep safe
J x
The rules are still the same. It's still a personal choice. I think more people are making the choice to leave now.

The main difference is that there are more known fires now. The fire attacking Warburton is effectively the same one that hit Kinglake. Unfortunately for Kinglake there wasn't a known fire on the day before black Saturday.

There's some terminology differences here as well. The police message on the TV yesterday morning was not to evacuate (meaning don't leave at the last moment) but either leave early (in the morning) or activate your fire plan now.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 5:55 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
The rules are still the same. It's still a personal choice. I think more people are making the choice to leave now.

The main difference is that there are more known fires now. The fire attacking Warburton is effectively the same one that hit Kinglake. Unfortunately for Kinglake there wasn't a known fire on the day before black Saturday.

There's some terminology differences here as well. The police message on the TV yesterday morning was not to evacuate (meaning don't leave at the last moment) but either leave early (in the morning) or activate your fire plan now.
Thanks for that MartinLuther.
we are not getting any coverage on t.v here now and only the CFA sites to check really.
Take care,
J x