British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   FIRES! Is everyone ok? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/fires-everyone-ok-589877/)

hevs Feb 7th 2009 10:45 am

FIRES! Is everyone ok?

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/incidents/...nt_summary.htm

Its been a full on day with over a 1000 fires reported and our hottest temp ever recorded

We also evacuated our home after filling the gutters with water and grabbing the kids, dogs, passports and insurance docs There were full on flames at the end of our street and we watched on from the veranda of the new house OMFGG!!! We were watching Elvis (the water bomber) drop over the tree line...when I worked out that it was actually Harkaway and would have ben heading to the reserve (behind our house) tears sprang to my eyes. It was scary and devastating but is under control now. Our neighbour told us that Elvis hovered over our pool, to fill up, but he couldn't get low enough (Matt had uncovered it for that reason) There are still trees burning but crews are watching closely. You still can't get into the village (unless through the fire track known to locals ) and the air is acrid. Everything is covered in ash and I can hear the spotters flying over. A fire truck just came into the reserve but pulled off again and the sky is clear. HOWEVER the wind is getting up quite strong again!...I don't think sleep will be deep tonight...

Urgent Threat to Alert Crawley Road Fire, Harkaway
Urgent Threat to Alert
07/02/2009

Incident Information

A grass and scrub fire is burning in Crawley Road, Harkaway. (Melways Map reference 109 D10). It is estimated to be 80 hectares in size. The residents of Harkaway, Narre Warren North and Beaconsfield Upper are no longer under direct threat from this fire, but still need to remain alert due to a high level of fire activity still in the area.

Core Advice

People in the area need to remain alert as there may not be a warning should conditions change unexpectedly. Continue to listen to ABC or local radio for updates on this fire.
Keep patrolling for embers around your property.
Be aware of residual burning after the main fire front has passed - remember logs and trees may continue to burn or smoulder for a number of days.
Watch out for hazards when walking around burnt areas. There may be sharp objects and areas that are still very hot and capable of causing serious burns.
Road use in the area will still be extremely hazardous due to low visibility from smoke. Watch out for fallen trees, power lines, abandoned cars, wildlife and emergency services vehicles.
Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration.
Additional Information

Tourists are advised to stay away from the following areas: Harkaway/Narre Warren North Area
Information on any road closures in this area is available on the VicRoads Web site at http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/

Resources committed to this fire are: 150 personnel

Burbage Feb 7th 2009 10:47 am

Re: FIRES! Is everyone ok?

Crazy, isn't it? You guys are on fire, and we're under water.

Fleaflyfloflum Feb 7th 2009 10:49 am

Oops. Sorry Hevs. We must have posted the same subject thread at the same time.

I am horrified. :(

Fleaflyfloflum Feb 7th 2009 10:51 am

14 confirmed dead so far

Kapri Feb 7th 2009 11:03 am

Just seen it on the news. Awful :(

Stay safe everyone.

oz bound Feb 7th 2009 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum (Post 7259730)
14 confirmed dead so far

omg that is awful :(

thoughts and prayers for all those caught up it in.

Ellie x

The Crow Feb 7th 2009 11:29 am

Glad things seem to be under control Hevs. How very, very scary. We spent the day in our neighbour's pool and his friend is a CFA volunteer and was called out just after lunch. He told us Harkaway residents had been evacuated.

We had a couple of fires fairly close to us during our first summer here and you do feel extremely powerless. Fingers crossed that the cool change will bring some rain - we just had a 2 second downpour... strange.

Keep safe.

Rachel

hevs Feb 7th 2009 11:35 am

:eek:Channel 7 now!

Pollyana Feb 7th 2009 11:35 am

Effing hell Hevs, thats terrible. Hope you guys are doing OK.

Fleaflyfloflum Feb 7th 2009 11:36 am

I pray to god it rains because i cant see how they can put out a fire front 20km long!!

hevs Feb 7th 2009 11:40 am

I knew it was really serious when I was on hold to triple 0 for 15 mins and NO ONE ANSWERED!!:eek:

We never did get through and no fire engines arrived for nearly an hour. (That said they were dealing with so much!) There are fire trucks at the end of the street with the burny trees and the chopper has just been over again...I'm so tired, but scared to sleep :eek:

This started with someone using an angle grinder on their gates :rolleyes:

cresta57 Feb 7th 2009 11:49 am

Originally Posted by hevs (Post 7259886)
I knew it was really serious when I was on hold to triple 0 for 15 mins and NO ONE ANSWERED!!:eek:

We never did get through and no fire engines arrived for nearly an hour. (That said they were dealing with so much!) There are fire trucks at the end of the street with the burny trees and the chopper has just been over again...I'm so tired, but scared to sleep :eek:

This started with someone using an angle grinder on their gates :rolleyes:

Just watched the 7 news special mate, hope you guys all stay safe.

Wendy Feb 7th 2009 11:58 am

My thoughts are with everyone near to or in the middle of the bushfires in Vic tonight. Stay safe!

Pollyana Feb 7th 2009 11:59 am

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 7259912)
Just watched the 7 news special mate, hope you guys all stay safe.

Too right, stay safe all of you, whether you are civilians or Firies. I can't even begin to imagine how scary it must be.

Fleaflyfloflum Feb 7th 2009 12:04 pm

Does anyone know if Badge is out there?