Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

You know when you've got really good friends!

You know when you've got really good friends!

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

pata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant future
Default You know when you've got really good friends!

I woke up this morning and and was floundering! Couldn't see any light at the end of the tunnel.
Nothing to do with the surprise leaving party my son organised for me the night before!
I have 3 days to go before I leave for Brisbane and every room in the house still needed things doing to it, ready for letting.
My friends started appearing , just as I was about dissolve into tears as could see no way of getting any kind of order into the chaos.
Within no time , it was like 'Changing Rooms' on the telly.
Every room had at least 2 people in it .... painting .. joinery work .. cleaning ..sorting boxes .. moving furniture .. etc!
I am now sitting in an empty house, all on my own, on the floor, laptop on my knee, glass of wine by my side, truely appreciating how wonderful my friends are ... and how much I am going to miss them!
You are probably saying why leave it to the last minute???
I have asked myself that question for years ..... and never yet had an answer.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:18 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: You know when you've got really good friends!

Originally Posted by pata
I woke up this morning and and was floundering! Couldn't see any light at the end of the tunnel.
Nothing to do with the surprise leaving party my son organised for me the night before!
I have 3 days to go before I leave for Brisbane and every room in the house still needed things doing to it, ready for letting.
My friends started appearing , just as I was about dissolve into tears as could see no way of getting any kind of order into the chaos.
Every room had at least 2 people in it .... painting .. joinery work .. cleaning ..sorting boxes .. moving furniture .. etc!
I am now sitting in an empty house, all on my own, on the floor, laptop on my knee, glass of wine by my side, truely appreciating how wonderful my friends are ... and how much I am going to miss them!
Awwwwww! when we left all the neighbours rallied around and were bringing out bacon butties and tea as we packed the container... even the guy we sold the house too was packing the container with us!

Em x
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
Awwwwww! when we left all the neighbours rallied around and were bringing out bacon butties and tea as we packed the container... even the guy we sold the house too was packing the container with us!

Em x

We had freinds even organising our leaving do for us!! It's so nice to know there are people who care and will step up when you need them, without even prompting them

Wonderful feeling knowing you got people who you can call friends
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 3:24 am
Richard & Nikki

dickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to all

Heres hoping your find such wonderful friends in Brisbane. Good luck on your journey to a new life.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 3:28 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pata

Good luck on the move over!

Cheers

Ginny
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Pata, am I right in thinking you're heading to Hervey Bay? I recognise your name from the HB thread.

I'm heading there in 5 weeks, leaving the UK on 2nd April.

So good luck with the move and see you soon!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

Are you sure that their offers to help were not actually an attempt to hasten your exit?

TD
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:20 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Toe Dipper
Are you sure that their offers to help were not actually an attempt to hasten your exit?

TD

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

QUOTE]

Unless your lucky, I don't think you can ever replace your best UK friends- sadly missed.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mindblower
QUOTE]

Unless your lucky, I don't think you can ever replace your best UK friends- sadly missed.
I dont think you even replace them ,you just add to them.We have great friends,what i call "lifetime"friends, in the uk, and we have found a few of them here.And whats even better some have just been over to visit and Aussie,lifetime friends and uk ,lifetime friends got on great.Cant ask for much more than that
Old Feb 24th 2009, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

pata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Pata, am I right in thinking you're heading to Hervey Bay? I recognise your name from the HB thread.

I'm heading there in 5 weeks, leaving the UK on 2nd April.

So good luck with the move and see you soon!

Yes .. I am planning on heading for Hervey Bay.
I am staying first with my daughter in Brisbane and her and I are going to Tassie for a week, then after that H.B. hopefully.
Need to find a job ASAP!!
Look forward to meeting you.
Alison

It did cross my mind I admit!!! .. maybe they can't wait to get rid of me!