Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Fire in Beeliar Regional Park/Henderson/Munster

Fire in Beeliar Regional Park/Henderson/Munster

Old Mar 13th 2011, 7:54 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Fire in Beeliar Regional Park/Henderson/Munster

https://internet.fesa.wa.gov.au/aler...px?ItemId=2402

Bushfire WATCH AND ACT for South Eastern part of Henderson and South Western part of Munster in the City of Cockburn
Sunday 13 March 2011 – 1:15 PM
A bushfire WATCH AND ACT has been issued for people in:
•the south eastern part of the Henderson Industrial Estate, between Russell Road, Rockingham Road, Stuart Drive and the coast in the City of Cockburn. •the south western part of Munster between McGarth Road, Frobisher Avenue, the Railway line, Russell Road, Moylan Road and the Rubbish Tip.The fire is burning in Beeliar Regional Park between Rockingham Road and Cockburn Road.

There is a possible threat to lives and buildings as a fire is approaching the area and conditions are changing. You need to leave or get ready to actively defend.

WHAT TO DO:
•Put your bushfire survival plan into action. •If you are not prepared or have decided to leave for a safer place, leave now if the way is clear and take your survival kit with you.•If you are prepared to the highest level and plan to use your building as shelter, make final preparations now. •Close all doors and windows. •Turn off evaporative airconditioners but keep water running through the system if possible.•Start patrolling aound your building with your garden hose and check for spot fires which may have started from burning embers.•If you are away from work, do not try to return as the road conditions in the area could be very dangerous.ROAD CLOSURES:
There are a number of roads closed including:
•Rockingham Road from Cockburn Road to Russell Road
•Cockburn Road from Rockingham Road to Russell Road•Russell Road west of Rockingham Road to Quill Road •No access to Rockingham Road from Wattelup Road or Hope Valley Road
For further details contact Main Roads WA on 138 138.

Motorists should avoid the area and be aware of fire and other emergency services personnel working on site.

BUSHFIRE BEHAVIOUR:
The bushfire is moving fast in a easterly direction towards Cockburn Road. It is a controllable fire however it is in an area which is difficult for firefighters to reach.

Embers may be blown around your building and spot fires are starting in the Regional Park. Flames are higher than roof tops or more than five metres high.

The fire was reported at 3.18am this morning and currently 55 hectares has been burnt.

WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
Eighty career and volunteer Fire and Rescue Service, volunteer Bush Fire Service and Department of Environment and Conservation firefighters are on the scene.

Two helitacs, a type 1 helicopter and two fixed wing water bombers are protecting crews and buildings.

Firefighters are protecting buildings in Cockburn Road.

AGENCY RESPONSIBLE:
FESA is managing the fire.

KEEP UP TO DATE:
Call 1300 657 209, visit www.fesa.wa.gov.au or listen to news bulletins.

Getting too close for comfort now Our suburb hasnt been mentioned so I am hoping we are ok, but here are photos from my house. Can anyone tell me why the helitacs are flying over our houses at our end, is it a flight path they have to take or are they checking for spot fires? Renth would know I am sure

Its so noisy with them flying over, I havent been in this situation before (as in a fire quite this close) so its all new to me.

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 13th 2011 at 2:59 pm. Reason: OPs request
Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fire in Beeliar Regional Park/Henderson/Munster

Just remember all the things you've been told. Keep calm, keep monitoring the FESA site cos they are very good with their updates, get your kit ready if your plan is to evacuate, and be absolutely certain at what point you are going to go.

The helicopters may just be using a set path which runs over your place - they will have set routes in and out to avoid collisions in smokey air.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Can anyone tell me why the helitacs are flying over our houses at our end, is it a flight path they have to take or are they checking for spot fires? Renth would know I am sure

Its so noisy with them flying over, I havent been in this situation before (as in a fire quite this close) so its all new to me.
They'll be flying over your house because you are in their flight path to and from the nearest pond or lake where they fill up with water.

When we lived in Tapping we were in the flight path for fire in the Pinjarra (sp?) pine plantation. I have lots of photos of the flying really low over our house and then filling up in the pond at the bottom of our road.

You can phone the info number and check if it's coming your way.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Stay safe
Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:42 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
They'll be flying over your house because you are in their flight path to and from the nearest pond or lake where they fill up with water.

When we lived in Tapping we were in the flight path for fire in the Pinjarra (sp?) pine plantation. I have lots of photos of the flying really low over our house and then filling up in the pond at the bottom of our road.

You can phone the info number and check if it's coming your way.
We saw that too last year, they'll be picking up from anywhere local ... there are lots of private dams and pools around here so they get real low ... kudos to those guys.

Good luck, stay calm, listen to the local radio and have a plan
Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

PP: In the FESA alert is says "It is a controllable fire however it is in an area which is difficult for firefighters to reach."

I thought you lived in South Fremantle? But if you are near the area mentioned in the FESA alert, get you stuff together and leave the area.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Frig, not again...we went through all this last January with the massive bushfire just south of us (we're in Beeliar)...the helitacs were using the lake down by the community centre.

We're 6km from the fire...lots of smoke...just waiting to see the latest FESA updates...

Last edited by Japonica; Mar 13th 2011 at 9:22 am.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 11:46 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
PP: In the FESA alert is says "It is a controllable fire however it is in an area which is difficult for firefighters to reach."

I thought you lived in South Fremantle? But if you are near the area mentioned in the FESA alert, get you stuff together and leave the area.
We moved from Freo, I live in that street in the photo. One of our neighbours has gone already.

It all seems quiet, cant see anything anyway as its dark, but Rockingham Road is 2 mins drive from me, I have heard they are sealing parts of that area off but so far we are not affected. I have packed up some bits and pieces and my neighbours have too, I am wondering if tonight we can just relax a bit from it all.

Anne kindly checked for me and said it is far from us, I guess it looked worse than what it is. This morning my neighbours told me you could see sparks/flame tips or something, I wasnt out at that time so I didnt see it. Beeliar Regional Park is where I release my caught snakes, bet there is huge loss of wildlife in there.

Last edited by Cheetah7; Mar 13th 2011 at 11:51 am.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:03 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

We moved from Freo, I live in that street in the photo. One of our neighbours has gone already.

It all seems quiet, cant see anything anyway as its dark, but Rockingham Road is 2 mins drive from me, I have heard they are sealing parts of that area off but so far we are not affected. I have packed up some bits and pieces and my neighbours have too, I am wondering if tonight we can just relax a bit from it all.

Anne kindly checked for me and said it is far from us, I guess it looked worse than what it is. This morning my neighbours told me you could see sparks/flame tips or something, I wasnt out at that time so I didnt see it. Beeliar Regional Park is where I release my caught snakes, bet there is huge loss of wildlife in there.
I remember the first time I saw a bush fire 'up close', wasn't so longer after I moved out here and I was home alone and scared witless ... Turned out it was a fair way away but I still remember the uncomfortably feeling.

Good luck relaxing, stay calm but alert
Old Mar 13th 2011, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I remember the first time I saw a bush fire 'up close', wasn't so longer after I moved out here and I was home alone and scared witless ... Turned out it was a fair way away but I still remember the uncomfortably feeling.

Good luck relaxing, stay calm but alert
I probably wont be alert for much longer as I will have to go to bed. I dont think I could stay awake if I tried.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 1:30 pm
Mostly Harmless

I probably wont be alert for much longer as I will have to go to bed. I dont think I could stay awake if I tried.
Sleep well, I hope you wake to calm scenes
Old Mar 13th 2011, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Sleep well, I hope you wake to calm scenes
Mr PP is due in from work at 10.30pm or thereabouts, I wish they could send a mass test message to us all telling us if we need to get out.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 3:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Mr PP is due in from work at 10.30pm or thereabouts, I wish they could send a mass test message to us all telling us if we need to get out.
They can, and they would if they needed to.
However unlike the rest of Australia which uses Emergency Alert, WA uses State Alert