British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Extreme weather in Melbourne (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/extreme-weather-melbourne-262508/)

anya4oz Oct 26th 2004 11:53 pm

Extreme weather in Melbourne

Greetings all,

Am sending this via my failover dial-up line, as my ISP has lost service. Our electricity is flickering on & off, so may lose that any minute too....

All this is not due to us failing to pay the bills ;) , but because we have a bout of extreme weather here in Melbourne today. Very strong, wet westerly winds/gales. The ABC is running warnings of the chaos caused by up to 90 kph gales, & here in the W of the city, we have already had hailstones, horizontal rain, flooding, trees brought down and power failures. Some property down the road from us has just lost its roof ridge tiles :(

Have discovered that all the west-facing windows in our house leak like sieves, so have been rushing round with towels and receptacles to stem the floods. :scared:

It's all my fault of course, for wanting to live in a house near the sea! The upside is some fabulously high waves on the bay, which I can just make out thru the thick, teeming rain, so might venture out later to take some piccies.

Forecast for Sat is 25C & sunny, so am pinning my hopes on that to dry everything off.....

BTW here is the link to the home page for the Australian Government Bureau of Meterology, which some people might find interesting:

http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/national/

Good luck to other Melburnians similarly afflicted - hope you are all OK.

Cheers,
Anya.

CasG Oct 27th 2004 12:03 am

Re: Extreme weather in Melbourne

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Greetings all,

Am sending this via my failover dial-up line, as my ISP has lost service. Our electricity is flickering on & off, so may lose that any minute too....

All this is not due to us failing to pay the bills ;) , but because we have a bout of extreme weather here in Melbourne today. Very strong, wet westerly winds/gales. The ABC is running warnings of the chaos caused by up to 90 kph gales, & here in the W of the city, we have already had hailstones, horizontal rain, flooding, trees brought down and power failures. Some property down the road from us has just lost its roof ridge tiles :(

Have discovered that all the west-facing windows in our house leak like sieves, so have been rushing round with towels and receptacles to stem the floods. :scared:

It's all my fault of course, for wanting to live in a house near the sea! The upside is some fabulously high waves on the bay, which I can just make out thru the thick, teeming rain, so might venture out later to take some piccies.

Forecast for Sat is 25C & sunny, so am pinning my hopes on that to dry everything off.....

BTW here is the link to the home page for the Australian Government Bureau of Meterology, which some people might find interesting:

http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/national/

Good luck to other Melburnians similarly afflicted - hope you are all OK.

Cheers,
Anya.

I'm coming to Melbourne in Jan 05.
Not bothered about the weather, in fact would prefer 'proper' weather than the grey nothingness we so often get here in the UK.
Bear in mind the rooftiles though!

Where on the coast are you living btw, as that is where I'm looking at heading - west coastline. As working that side of the city.
Cas

anya4oz Oct 27th 2004 12:16 am

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
I'm coming to Melbourne in Jan 05.
Not bothered about the weather, in fact would prefer 'proper' weather than the grey nothingness we so often get here in the UK.
Bear in mind the rooftiles though!

Where on the coast are you living btw, as that is where I'm looking at heading - west coastline. As working that side of the city.
Cas

Agree with you about 'proper weather': me, too. Today's is quite spectacular to watch - just hope everyone out there is OK though :(

If you are working W of the City, there's Port Melbourne, Williamstown (AKA Mt Thomas :) where I live), Altona (not a great area inland, but very nice houses along the sea front), Point Cook & Sanctuary Lakes, all within reasonable distance of the coast & the CBD. This is one of the realtor sites that alllows you to search by rental/purchase and price/suburb etc so you can see what the damage would be:

http://www.realestateview.com.au/

At the mo many of the rail lines are out because of the storm, but from Newport Station (the main local rail hub) to Flagstaff/Spencer St (for W CBD) usually takes about 13-15 mins.

PM me if you want more detail re this area - we love it!

Cheers,
Anya.

CasG Oct 27th 2004 12:19 am

Agree with you about 'proper weather': me, too. Today's is quite spectacular to watch - just hope everyone out there is OK though :(

If you are working W of the City, there's Port Melbourne, Williamstown (AKA Mt Thomas :) where I live), Altona (not a great area inland, but very nice houses along the sea front), Point Cook & Sanctuary Lakes, all within reasonable distance of the coast & the CBD. This is one of the realtor sites that alllows you to search by rental/purchase and price/suburb etc so you can see what the damage would be:

http://www.realestateview.com.au/

At the mo many of the rail lines are out because of the storm, but from Newport Station (the main local rail hub) to Flagstaff/Spencer St (for W CBD) usually takes about 13-15 mins.

PM me if you want more detail re this area - we love it!

Cheers,
Anya.

Thanks very much for the information Anya.
Will PM you soon if thats ok
Cas

anya4oz Oct 27th 2004 2:05 am

Yikes! Just been out in the yard & found a *fish* has been blown in over the fence & is lying on the lawn - it's that windy!!

Wonder if we will get a plague of frogs next...?! ;)

Anya.

johanne Oct 27th 2004 2:23 am

Yikes! Just been out in the yard & found a *fish* has been blown in over the fence & is lying on the lawn - it's that windy!!

Wonder if we will get a plague of frogs next...?! ;)

Anya.

its ok Anya its only Mary thats on your lawn, ;) she doesnt look like a fish but she sure sups like one :D..

Seriously tho, a fish !!!!!!! is it big? maybe you could cook the bugger up for tea..

anya4oz Oct 27th 2004 2:34 am

Originally Posted by johanne
its ok Anya its only Mary thats on your lawn, ;) she doesnt look like a fish but she sure sups like one :D..

Seriously tho, a fish !!!!!!! is it big? maybe you could cook the bugger up for tea..

Ha ha!! ;) Poor Mary....! She takes a break from ironing Bordy's kilts for just the one night out, and look what we say about her.... ;)

The fish is some kind of flatfish - about 25cms long. Alas, neither of us eat fish, but I guess the cats could help out.... (I think that's what they're trying to tell me.).

Cheers,
Anya.

thfc Oct 27th 2004 2:40 am

Originally Posted by johanne

What a bummer,been rained off at 11 am with full pay,started brightining up now,hardest thing is deciding what to do this afternoon,im sure the missus will have something for me to do though.

Bordy Oct 27th 2004 6:38 am

All we need is another 4 fish & 2 loaves & its party time at Anyas.

As for Johanne ........ who was it that got out the car after the last ladies night out & walked straight into a tree ????

I rest my case. :D

jah4reds Oct 27th 2004 6:56 am

Melbourne - 4 seasons in one day!

(1) Tsunami
(2) Typhoon
(3) Chinook
(4) Scirrocco

No - not names of cars and helicopters but weird weather events.

AndyH,
Brisbane

bundy Oct 27th 2004 6:59 am

Hey Anya,

Well if you will live by the sea..... ;)

If it makes you feel any better, we are expecting gales here in the UK too. That whole severe weather warning thing. Although, looking out of the window here at the moment in your old home town, it all looks suspiciously calm.

Full lunar eclipse tomorrow, btw, so it's no wonder that things are a little unsettled! (not sure if you'll see it in Oz though)