Melbourne suburbs

Old Apr 30th 2015, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Melbourne suburbs

We are renting ( blah ) and have land in a lovely suburb but the entire building approval process is insanely drawn out due to heritage, environment overlays.

So lookin to buy a house ( not unit ) under 500k . But it has to be 20 mins max on train to city.

There must be some gem of a suburb I have overlooked ( Yeah right they are saying its melbourne you idiot ) .

A bit of greenery around, would be nice, plus something that has reasonable potential as an area after we finally get built. Easy access to the airport would be nice but that is really not totally essential if we could find the above.

Thank you if anyone in melb is currently still on BE.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 11:50 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne suburbs

I know I'll get jumped on, but out west (Point Cook, William's Landing) you can do a new build for your price (4 bed, 2 bath), and the morning express trains are about 23mins to the city (longer outside commuter times though).

I think it's probably the closest you'll get, otherwise the train times will be longer for the new estates in the SE, or the prices will be higher.
Old May 1st 2015, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
I know I'll get jumped on, but out west (Point Cook, William's Landing) you can do a new build for your price (4 bed, 2 bath), and the morning express trains are about 23mins to the city (longer outside commuter times though).

I think it's probably the closest you'll get, otherwise the train times will be longer for the new estates in the SE, or the prices will be higher.

Thanks its not an area I had considered because I wrongly thought Public trans would be longer from there.

Any suggestions welcome, the budget is reasonable but OMG you might as well buy a house in Hobart and a helicopter for what 500 buys in melb.
Old May 1st 2015, 7:48 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Thanks its not an area I had considered because I wrongly thought Public trans would be longer from there.
In theory it's supposed to be getting better from late June when the Regional Rail Link opens and the Geelong trains no longer share the line. If they have more express services and less that go via the Altona dog leg then the average time into the city will improve.

Saying that though, the planning on infrastructure is p*ss poor. They seemly build the houses, then remember that the infrastructure needs uprating afterwards! Commuter car traffic into the city is poor and the local council seems to concentrate facilities in the bit of their shire that isn't growing and nobody wants to live in (politics).

When I first came here I considered the estates a bit soulless, but there is undeniably space and you can build what you want (I ended up in Sanctuary Lakes, which is nicer). House quality is obviously better than the '1970s and earlier' you get in 'heritage' east; 5 and 6 star energy standard. Best bet is to look on realestate, find some 'open for inspections' you can attend to get a feel for what's on offer, then drive around a bit and look at the show homes that are dotted about, etc.

Any suggestions welcome, the budget is reasonable but OMG you might as well buy a house in Hobart and a helicopter for what 500 buys in melb.
Yep, they are silly prices. As far as I can see the best way of getting a 'bargain' is to focus on what the Australians don't like the sound of, but which appeals to Brits. Eventually I'm sure they will wise up - or the Chinese will go home and the bottom will fall out
Old May 1st 2015, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

You won't get jumped on because where else can you get a decent house for under $500K 20 mins from the CBD?
Old May 1st 2015, 9:15 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by OzTennis
You won't get jumped on because where else can you get a decent house for under $500K 20 mins from the CBD?
Tell me about it.

Forget their mucking about in the CBD, they need to aggressively go for high speed rail connecting garden cities 50-80km out of the CBD such that >30min transit times can be maintained with decent houses and house sizes.

Unfortunately they can't plan worth a damn.
Old May 1st 2015, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I know guys who live out West...they spend their days tarting up their houses to make them slightly different and counting how many big TVs they might install just on the upstairs landing...he he
Old May 1st 2015, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Tell me about it.

Forget their mucking about in the CBD, they need to aggressively go for high speed rail connecting garden cities 50-80km out of the CBD such that >30min transit times can be maintained with decent houses and house sizes.

Unfortunately they can't plan worth a damn.
Get in quick: 500 must be going soon..
it is the option frankly
Old May 1st 2015, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Fawkner possibly ..... The Green Space is Merri Creek. 28 mins by train. It really is going upmarket. You may just get in a decent place there for 500K.

Large Blocks

Plenty of people that would never have moved there 10-15 years ago are now doing so. It's the next "Coburg/Preston". Final test is it's getting those little coffee shops.

Although be warned this is a typical Fawkner house..... It was one of the most Italian suburbs in Melbourne and to be frank the young Hipsters are now moving (been forced by price to stay on the fringe of the inner north) there. It will Skyrocket in value for absolute certainty, purely based on proximity to City and the gentrification of the Suburbs adjacent... unless everyones house price goes down that is.

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...kner-119324096

Last word, it's far more likely to be bought in by people that have lived in the Northern Subs for quite a while then anyone else and have developed trust and taste in this area. Very hard to sell to people that haven't lived here before in other words.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 1st 2015 at 8:01 pm.
Old May 1st 2015, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I know guys who live out West...they spend their days tarting up their houses to make them slightly different and counting how many big TVs they might install just on the upstairs landing...he he

We are renting as Westies. Keilor ? am i a Westie now. ? We wanted a new unit ( OMG some slums out there ) advertised as immaculate or renovated of course. Anyway it was central for airport etc and not too bad to city. Our issues are with landlord who wont install items promised etc.

The areas not that bad but I wouldnt buy in it. Some very very colourful suburbs around it, which I actually love, I wouldn't buy in them but great dining, markets etc . Not talking the new housing suburbs they could be anywhere in australia, I can drive into them and not know if I was in QLD or VIC or WA for that matter.

As for house decoration. It appears you must pay respect in your homeland in a BIG BIG way. How exactly does one fit a temple or shrine on 438 sq M. The ornaments, did they get a crane in? Nope I love it. Remember we moved down from QLD, where in the 2200 kids school photo, there were about 6 faces of colour and they were probably international students. White professionals on acerage territory.

We did buy land 2 years ago in a leafy historic suburb not that far from the city, but heritage laws are making life rather hell. so wont be moving there anytime soon. Hence the house search.
Old May 4th 2015, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We are renting as Westies. Keilor ? am i a Westie now. ? We wanted a new unit ( OMG some slums out there ) advertised as immaculate or renovated of course. Anyway it was central for airport etc and not too bad to city. Our issues are with landlord who wont install items promised etc.

The areas not that bad but I wouldnt buy in it. Some very very colourful suburbs around it, which I actually love, I wouldn't buy in them but great dining, markets etc . Not talking the new housing suburbs they could be anywhere in australia, I can drive into them and not know if I was in QLD or VIC or WA for that matter.

As for house decoration. It appears you must pay respect in your homeland in a BIG BIG way. How exactly does one fit a temple or shrine on 438 sq M. The ornaments, did they get a crane in? Nope I love it. Remember we moved down from QLD, where in the 2200 kids school photo, there were about 6 faces of colour and they were probably international students. White professionals on acerage territory.

We did buy land 2 years ago in a leafy historic suburb not that far from the city, but heritage laws are making life rather hell. so wont be moving there anytime soon. Hence the house search.
Hey. I would have bought a established house in an established burb : you have more coin than I do.

I know people love to build homes, frankly I see it as trouble!

Maybe I am lazy.

It's also why I have yet to see all this famous red tape.
Old May 4th 2015, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, anything on one side of the Westgate bridge or Citylink is west to a lot of those on the other side. Thank goodness there are some heritage laws - says he who comes from Williamstown where the character of the suburb has been eaten away as the concrete and glass monstrosities with no garden and built close to the boundaries are taking over. My parents both passed away and when we came to sell the house my brothers and me 'lost' a million bucks at least because it had a heritage overlay and nothing could be done with the outside of the house. We didn't want a lovely family home, part of Williamstown's heritage (built in the 1870's by a sea captain) destroyed and something put up in its place. We were glad it didn't sell for more with no heritage overlay and I'll be able to see it until I join my parents in the great sky west of the Westgate bridge!
Old May 4th 2015, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, anything on one side of the Westgate bridge or Citylink is west to a lot of those on the other side. Thank goodness there are some heritage laws - says he who comes from Williamstown where the character of the suburb has been eaten away as the concrete and glass monstrosities with no garden and built close to the boundaries are taking over. My parents both passed away and when we came to sell the house my brothers and me 'lost' a million bucks at least because it had a heritage overlay and nothing could be done with the outside of the house. We didn't want a lovely family home, part of Williamstown's heritage (built in the 1870's by a sea captain) destroyed and something put up in its place. We were glad it didn't sell for more with no heritage overlay and I'll be able to see it until I join my parents in the great sky west of the Westgate bridge!
I know of people that moved in the 60's from the seedier suburb of Williamstown to the what must have been then more upmarket Suburb of Reservoir....Boy did that work out to be a long term bad move. Just shows you how things can change. Similar story with Port Melbourne and Pascoe Vale.... Although that's not quite as dramatic a difference. I guess the same thing has happened in inner London though.

Re Williamstown, Very good friends of mine lived right next door to Steve Bracks, before he became premier in the late 80's.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 4th 2015 at 1:05 pm.
Old May 4th 2015, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I know of people that moved in the 60's from the seedier suburb of Williamstown to the what must have been then more upmarket Suburb of Reservoir....Boy did that work out to be a long term bad move. Just shows you how things can change. Similar story with Port Melbourne and Pascoe Vale.... Although that's not quite as dramatic a difference. I guess the same thing has happened in inner London though.

Re Williamstown, Very good friends of mine lived right next door to Steve Bracks, before he became premier in the late 80's.

Williamstown was never seedier than Reservoir mate.

Yep, I know where Steve Bracks lives now (in Verdon St) and before that in Pasco St near the High School (where I went). I know him because when Phillippoussis played in the Wimbledon final against Federer they filmed a piece at our club where he and his family are members. Mr and MrsOzT were taken to the best view in Melbourne at the start of the Strand and filmed talking to him as a lead in to the interview with him. He asked us who would win and we both said Federer! Very, very nice man - when we are out in Melbourne and see him on a walk he stops to talk and remembers the interview all these years later - you were both right he says!
Old May 4th 2015, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Williamstown was never seedier than Reservoir mate.
I

It's what one of my Italian parented workmates tells me their Parents excuse for moving in the early 60's was. The lure of new "Reservoir" v old run down Williamstown... apparently. I found it hard to believe as well. They probably swapped a run down Victorian for a triple fronted cream brick 50's veener..... With those white pillars everywhere.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 4th 2015 at 10:34 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.